Fitness on the AMCAS. Laugh if you will :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogurt the Kid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I know you're probably like: "Ummm....right Yogurt" But this is a legitimate question. Do you think it's acceptable to put an avocation for physical fitness and exercise under post-secondary experiences? Ok, you can start laughing now. But I'm serious. Fitness has been an integral part of my life over the past year, and I can speak sincerely and intelligently about it and how I've grown from it. But, what are the opinions out there? Would you read it and say: "Ok, Arnold...you're not coming to our medical school" or would you be like "Doesn't this kid have something better to put down?" or would you be like "God Damn Boy! Now that's what I'm talking about; we're looking for some well-balanced people, and you're coming to our medical school!" Obviously, the decision is made on many much more important factors, but I'd appreciate your general opinion.

Yogurt

Members don't see this ad.

The post-secondary experiences are fairly explicit in scope. Discuss how fitness shapes yor life in the personal statement, not post-secondary experiences.

Wow, that's a great question. I was debating about that. Because I went from 180lbs to 105lbs which helped to raise my self-esteem. I put it as a post secondary experience but now that mpp mentioned it, perhaps its better off in the personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
yogurt i hear that. i run marathons and 5k's and started a running club. i would have put it down even if i didn't start a running club (cause who really cares about that anyway). i put it under extra currics. i had 17 post secondary experiences, and i consolidated to make sure this fit. i dunno if it makes sense, i had no space nor did i want to put it in my ps, but its a big part of my routine. anyway, goodluck eh?
-jot

Welll... have you ever volunteered at for a fitness program that helps kids or adults live healthier lives... or something like that? Basically, have you ever been part of some sort of organized event or experience relating to fitness. Have you run in a lot of benifit runs?

The post-secondaries are more for organized experiences... basically envolvment with a formal organization. Does that make sense?

Otherwise... sounds like a good thing to put in your personal statement :)

Yes..put it..I did not put it but I wish I would have..

Don't bog them down though..keep it under 20 to 25 activites or whatever

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
•Yes..put it..I did not put it but I wish I would have..
•••••Why do you say that? (FYI: AMCAS now only allows 15)

Believe it or not, physical fitness is a HUGE part of "staying well" especially in your fourties when you'll be practising. A LOT of medical schools are now advocating programs because they have noticed how good physical fitness is to their students...there's tons of research on this. Sports Medicine is becoming huge too...this is the time and place to start thinking about issues such as diabetes and insulin resistance all of which can be curbed through plain ole running. :)

I'd put it down if I were you.
Tweetie

read: HOBBIES is a category... put it down

•••quote:•••Originally posted by cdoc9:
•read: HOBBIES is a category... put it down•••••huh... I always thought it had to be something more organized... otherwise, how would you prove it? I mean... I could say I like to mountain climb... how would they know I don't? I would never do that, I'm just saying..... someone could.

Hey Folks,

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to go ahead and enter it. I, however, suggest that you do not put fitness in your personal statement unless it is more than a hobby/avocation and you can definitely tie it in to your desire to enter medicine. The best spot to mention this would be in the post-secondary experiences. But this is just my suggestion as to what I would do. Thanks sexies.

Yogurt

Hey Yogurt

I put it on mine. Aerobics is a big part of my life so I put it in (I think under hobbies/recreational activities). It's an organized event and all, so I think it was ok to put it. Best of luck :)

Add it as a post secondary experience. If that experience, whether organized or not, has had a role in shaping who you are definitely add it. Don't add it if it displaces a more important or note worthy accomplishment.

As for lying and adding something like mountain climbing when you don't do it... Be prepared to discuss how it shaped you in an interview.

I put it down because I read an article (about job interviews, I think) that said that people unconciously like people better if they say they exercise. :)

I think post-sec is the perfect place for it. There's even an appropriate category.

you know what, it actually sounds like a good idea. Working out helped me stay focused, relieved stress, and boosted my energy. I don't think it will hurt too much on the app, but what would u put as your position?

If you put "working up," it sounds a little generic. Make sure you make it more specific and try to tie it in with any awards you have won in relation to it. Otherwise, I wouldn't put it in. I put musician under hobbies and I regret it now because on one of my interviews they had a piano and he made me play it. Not surprisingly, I didn't get in.

There's is nothing to laugh about. This is really a serious issue. You do need a lot of, what I would call "Stamina" rather than Fitness on the MCAT. But then again, you have to have a clear mind, etc, so fitness is also a suitable word. Near the middle of that Bio section, things can get really hard if you aren't fit.

Best of luck!

I am thinking about putting down Yoga. I have taken several classes over the last few years and I have been getting more into it lately and I have a feeling I will be doing it a lot this year. I think its valid b/c it is a relaxation, mind/body thing along with being good exercise. What do you guys think? That would be funny if they ask me to do the Salute to the Sun or something in an interview! They would probably think i am a freak!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by relatively prime:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
•Yes..put it..I did not put it but I wish I would have..
•••••Why do you say that? (FYI: AMCAS now only allows 15)•••••B/c for my life it has been a super important activity. During my first 2 years at college I went to the gym 7 days a week and over the course of 4 semesters I missed a total of about 20 days of gym in over 400 days of working out. I would call that a fairly significant time committment. Plus, it shows I have interests outside academics...

By the way, at almost all of my interviews, when asked what I do for fun, I always said exercising at part of my answer. Having it in my amcas application only made it a little more believable. :) You can talk about the importance of preventative health care and coordination and group coperation (i.e. sports). So put it down! :D

Hey there
I am going to put down my fitness activities. I was a level 10 gymnast up until I started school, and I was a member of the national cheering team for the three years, which of course is during college. I feel it's important bc it was as much work as a full time job. Also, as far as my gymnastics I would not be the same person I am today if I was never a gymnast. Hope this helps:)

I definately think you should include this in your application. i ran a couple of marathons, put that on my amcas, and in every single interview it came up. talking about running was a good break from the typical interview questions.