FIU or UCF MED Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know alot of pre-medical students truly appreciate REL for being a part of SDN. I was able to see first hand the extremely busy lives lead by those in academic medicine. For REL to take the time to guide us all on SDN is beyond incredible.

Here are some links (hopefully these will help with the confusion):

Early Decision

http://med.ucf.edu/admissions/admissions/early_decision.asp

Application Requirements

http://med.ucf.edu/admissions/admissions/application.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto to the person who wrote "point taken, REL."

I suppose I was working under the assumption that 'what's competitive for ED is competitive for regular decision' -- and that if you're not a competitive applicant, there is little point in applying.

Thank you for the clarification.

FIU is also giving scholarships, but is only to 5 ppl

I will be applying to both. A friend of mine told me that FIU would have to give full scholarships, the same way that UCF is, because banks will not give school loans for unaccredited to schooling. Which FIU and UCF will not be until they graduate their first class.

Just what I heard. Otherwise, FIU is gonna have a tough time attracting a top notch class like UCF will.

And I agree with the poster who said UCF is cocky. I went to a medical school forum they were represented at and the guy speaking was bragging about how great their first class is going to be do to the scholarship. UCF is in for a huge wake up call when their second year class is garbage.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I agree with the poster who said UCF is cocky. I went to a medical school forum they were represented at and the guy speaking was bragging about how great their first class is going to be do to the scholarship. UCF is in for a huge wake up call when their second year class is garbage.

Unfortunately that will not be the case. No other school in Florida has had the chance to build a premier medical city like UCF has with relationships with Nemours, MD Anderson, VA Hospital, etc. This is their way of passing by USF and FSU which are still fine institutions. 40 full-ride scholarships to the entire class has never been done, expect the bar to be set high and stay relatively close for years to come. Good luck applying!

Point taken, REL. But MSAR says FSU's average MCAT was 27 last year.

Thanx again for the feedback. If my memory serves me correctly, the new MSAR that is about 2 months old --- I thought it was 30 with a 3.6, UF 33 - 3.8, USF 30 - 3.8, UM 32 -3.75.......something like that........memory can be a dangerous thing :>)

I will be applying to both. A friend of mine told me that FIU would have to give full scholarships, the same way that UCF is, because banks will not give school loans for unaccredited to schooling. Which FIU and UCF will not be until they graduate their first class.

Just what I heard. Otherwise, FIU is gonna have a tough time attracting a top notch class like UCF will.

Just wanted to clear up one or two points, each of the 3 new MD programs are accredited to the point where they can be in the LCME process. In this status they are as eligible as any other MD program for the federal financial aid programs. FIU does have some increasing amounts of scholarship money for their first class, albeit not quite as much as UCF has for the same year -- yet. At each program some of those scholarships are endowed, meaning that the money will be available for future classes perpetually. For what it is worth the UCF medical complex and clinical opportunities are drawing very superb faculty to UCF and, as you might also fear, UCF already has donors lining up to provide scholarships for the second class of 60 -- I dont know if all will be funded like the first class, but there will be significant money available for the second class. Many are predicting that all of these things will combine to maintain a higher level that would be expected of a new MD program. It will be interesting to see what this first class looks like, and also to see if your prediction for the second class is accurate. I hope you will visit these posts in a couple of years to find out.

The FSU - 27 MCAT was from the 2006 MSAR, I believe.

Times are changing...and very quickly, too, it appears!

Looks like I'd better get in my application before 3.9/36 MCATs become the new Florida standard! Seriously, at the rate of increases, that could be two years from now. (Hence the worry about being screened out with a 3.7)

---

I predict really great things certainly can happen for UCF -- a small class is a great way to start, the location and hospital alliances are impressive, and the full-tuition scholarships should help their med students focus on why they came in the first place -- the education. As a potentially aspiring pediatrician and one who worries about the ramifications of $250K loans, I think that UCF's scholarship could definitely open a lot of doors for students. Imagine being able to spend your medical school education with the knowledge that you could literally choose any specialty you desired. That sort of confidence creates great doctors.

Again, just my $0.02.

Nope. It says 2008-2009 on the cover. I bought it a couple of months ago.

Well, whatever the case may be, the 2009-2010 MSAR has 10-10-10-P for the MCAT. That's a huge increase in a short period of time. Guess more and more people are deciding in favor of rural medicine these days...

Just wanted to clear up one or two points, each of the 3 new MD programs are accredited to the point where they can be in the LCME process. In this status they are as eligible as any other MD program for the federal financial aid programs. FIU does have some increasing amounts of scholarship money for their first class, albeit not quite as much as UCF has for the same year -- yet. At each program some of those scholarships are endowed, meaning that the money will be available for future classes perpetually. For what it is worth the UCF medical complex and clinical opportunities are drawing very superb faculty to UCF and, as you might also fear, UCF already has donors lining up to provide scholarships for the second class of 60 -- I dont know if all will be funded like the first class, but there will be significant money available for the second class. Many are predicting that all of these things will combine to maintain a higher level that would be expected of a new MD program. It will be interesting to see what this first class looks like, and also to see if your prediction for the second class is accurate. I hope you will visit these posts in a couple of years to find out.

Thanks for the information. All i had before was word-of-mouth from a friend. Wow, FIU is pushing their luck with that, but I guess it's a good thing. It wont be as competitive as UCF will be.

I didn't know UCF was going to be offering large scholarships to their second year class as well. That's gonna change my prediction then. As soon as the full ride, or nearly full ride, scholarships cease, their quality of first year medical students will take a BIG hit. Until then, I see them basically choosing whoever they want from within the state and even high quality out of staters.

Nope. It says 2008-2009 on the cover. I bought it a couple of months ago.

You're right, I have the MSAR for this year and it says 27. I've had several friends that have interviewed at FSU and basically been told if you want to things other than primary care, they don't want you. FSU is stuck on finding individuals who will "serve the state", I guess you cant do that unless you're a primary care physician. That's why their MCAT average is so low and will stay pretty low relative to the rest of the state schools. Well, that and the fact that most people don't want to live in Tallahassee.

You're right, I have the MSAR for this year and it says 27. I've had several friends that have interviewed at FSU and basically been told if you want to things other than primary care, they don't want you. FSU is stuck on finding individuals who will "serve the state", I guess you cant do that unless you're a primary care physician. That's why their MCAT average is so low and will stay pretty low relative to the rest of the state schools. Well, that and the fact that most people don't want to live in Tallahassee.

Actually, as Pianola mentioned you bought the older MSAR (which I think was purple.) The most current MSAR came out about 8 weeks ago, is orange, and has 2009-2010 on the cover. FSU did have a 10-10-10 MCAT for the entering class of 2007. The newest version also includes UCF and FIU. Maybe you can get your money back??

I think the high requirements are a result of the 40 fully funded students. I would fully expect it to be highly competitive this cycle and the "requirements" are probably more a realistic expectation than anything else. I don't think it's an obsession with numbers, I think it's an obsession with attracting the most competitive applicants that they can because at the end of the day those first 40 students are going to be the first 40 getting into residencies and as a result will be what sets the tone for the school in years to come. When FSU started they had a very different mission, and as such it was obviously a different level of competition for students there. UCF seems like it's really trying to be a top ranked school and I think they're going about it the right way, even if it does mean it's unlikely for you to be one of those 40 full rides.

As for Florida's obsession with numbers, having not gone through the interview process yet I can't really comment too much, but I don't think you can fault a school for wanting to attract the top candidates they can. Also it's difficult to talk about how eclectic a student population is without considering that those schools do accept a more significant number of OOS students. Obviously by having a state school with over 90% in state students your somewhat limiting the possible diversity of the student body.

Limiting the diversity of the student body?

When was the last time you checked out the demographics of Florida in comparison to most other states? Particularly Orlando?

Sure, in northwest/rural Florida you might not find too much diversity, but if you go to Orlando, Tampa, or Miami you'd be surprised at the amazing melting pot of individuals you will find located in these areas.

What I mean to say is that having 90% in-state (Florida) is not limiting the diversity of the student body, it is simply supporting Floridians who have lived in this state, while investing in the community.

The schools do not simply consider grades and MCAT scores. They consider how you will affect your community, which is why there is so much emphasis placed on extracurricular activities, community service, etc. What use is it to UCFCOM, or more broadly, Orlando, if a large percentage of the schools students do not stick around to support the community after receiving their education?

If you look at how the 40 scholarships were funded, it was largely through businesses in the local community, which I must reiterate, happens to be in Florida. If I was a local church, foundation, or business that donated to the scholarship, I just might get upset if preference wasn't given to the locals. I'm sure the admissions procedures go far beyond simply "Choosing the students with the best scores."

Members don't see this ad :)

The panhandle does have its advantages. I grew up in NW Florida. I'd have to say that I am definitely beach spoiled for the rest of my life. If you can get past the reputation of it being the "redneck riviera."

As far as admissions to FSU goes, what exactly happens if you are genuinely interested in primary care ... then change your mind?

Limiting the diversity of the student body?

When was the last time you checked out the demographics of Florida in comparison to most other states? Particularly Orlando?

Sure, in northwest/rural Florida you might not find too much diversity, but if you go to Orlando, Tampa, or Miami you'd be surprised at the amazing melting pot of individuals you will find located in these areas.

What I mean to say is that having 90% in-state (Florida) is not limiting the diversity of the student body, it is simply supporting Floridians who have lived in this state, while investing in the community.

The schools do not simply consider grades and MCAT scores. They consider how you will affect your community, which is why there is so much emphasis placed on extracurricular activities, community service, etc. What use is it to UCFCOM, or more broadly, Orlando, if a large percentage of the schools students do not stick around to support the community after receiving their education?

If you look at how the 40 scholarships were funded, it was largely through businesses in the local community, which I must reiterate, happens to be in Florida. If I was a local church, foundation, or business that donated to the scholarship, I just might get upset if preference wasn't given to the locals. I'm sure the admissions procedures go far beyond simply "Choosing the students with the best scores."

Well-said and, moreover, quoteworthy. :thumbup:

Unfortunately that will not be the case. No other school in Florida has had the chance to build a premier medical city like UCF has with relationships with Nemours, MD Anderson, VA Hospital, etc. This is their way of passing by USF and FSU which are still fine institutions. 40 full-ride scholarships to the entire class has never been done, expect the bar to be set high and stay relatively close for years to come. Good luck applying!

Does anyone know if the 40 full scholarships will turn out to be a notable feature of UCFCOM for years to come? ...or is it simply an incentive to draw the best and the brightest for the "first round" at UCFCOM?

Garbage? Ouch.

I think it will be very interesting to see how the PR spins the statistics of the first class. Then in years to come, to see the statistics of the student body composition afterwards, provided that no full scholarships are available as competitive incentive.

Does anyone know if UCF screens primaries?

I've had my UCF app for a while now (verified well before june 24)

when were you verified?

The panhandle does have its advantages. I grew up in NW Florida. I'd have to say that I am definitely beach spoiled for the rest of my life. If you can get past the reputation of it being the "redneck riviera."

As far as admissions to FSU goes, what exactly happens if you are genuinely interested in primary care ... then change your mind?

My thoughts exactly. I'll be going with that.

Garbage? Ouch.

I think it will be very interesting to see how the PR spins the statistics of the first class. Then in years to come, to see the statistics of the student body composition afterwards, provided that no full scholarships are available as competitive incentive.

Yeah, "garbage" was a little harsh. I just meant to say that their following classes wont be of the same quality as their first year class.

I've had my UCF app for a while now (verified well before june 24)

when were you verified?

I was verified on 7/9. I just got my secondary today 7/18. I was just wondering if UCF screens...

I was verified on 7/9. I just got my secondary today 7/18. I was just wondering if UCF screens...

Currently UCF has been sending only to verified applicants and will begin to send to unverified applicants soon. We have chosen to do things this way for now as a control issue as we roll out our supplemental just to make sure all is functioning in an acceptable manner. We partnered with a group to build a supplemental with the help of a new MS application --- we have found a few anomalies that MS will work on in the long term. The issues are now known, not crucial by any means, and will allow us to go full bore within the next couple of weeks. We appreciate your patience.

Currently UCF has been sending only to verified applicants and will begin to send to unverified applicants soon. We have chosen to do things this way for now as a control issue as we roll out our supplemental just to make sure all is functioning in an acceptable manner. We partnered with a group to build a supplemental with the help of a new MS application --- we have found a few anomalies that MS will work on in the long term. The issues are now known, not crucial by any means, and will allow us to go full bore within the next couple of weeks. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks -- good to know. I haven't experienced any problems with the application, myself. I was just curious.

I got an interview to F.I.U. today. I'm super stoked about it. Its my first interview invite and in an area I'd be really excited to go to school in.

I got an interview to F.I.U. today. I'm super stoked about it. Its my first interview invite and in an area I'd be really excited to go to school in.

Wow, already? Goodness, I'm still working on my Florida essays. Congrats, though!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that UCF's secondary had a ton of essays. Like more than they really should have, considering that the school has no reputation. Luckily, I copy-pasted them from other essays.

What's the deal with all the questions on FSU's secondary?

Uh, UCF had 1 *main* essay, and the rest were to explain yourself if you had ever gotten into trouble/grade issues/etc...

if you think thats bad just wait for duke

I am currently an undergrad at FSU and am NERVOUS about applying to FIU, seeing as how they are only admitting ~40 individuals to their first class...

I grew up around 5 minutes from the FIU campus in Miami and can tell you, for a fact, that the area immediately surrounding the school is predominantly Hispanic. I wouldn't be surprised if FIU will require conversational Spanish, at least, as a requirement for later med. school applicants.

I'm not impressed with FIU or UCF simply because I'd rather not go to a place that hasn't established itself. I'm not going to go nuts over the scholarship either. I figure, if the best thing you can say about a school is that you got a good deal, then you probably chose badly.

And incidentally, I LOVE the fact that FL has no income tax. If you think the taxes should be higher, the state will happily accept your donations. If you think other people should pay taxes but not you, well, sorry.

Well that's why the education system in FL sucks. Florida is the third (?) most populated state in the nation and look at the level of caliber it's schools pose... compared to Cali, Texas, and NY.

WOW thats crazy, so fast. by the way, what dates are they offering you to go interview??

Well that's why the education system in FL sucks. Florida is the third (?) most populated state in the nation and look at the level of caliber it's schools pose... compared to Cali, Texas, and NY.

My high school had 4,000 students in packed into a building built for 2,200. And that was in the wealthy suburbs of West Palm Beach.

Amazing the sacrifices people make just to avoid a small percentage out of their paycheck!

EDIT: And I know I'm bitter at FL. I think after living there for 7 years, I have a right to give my informed - though angry - opinion.

My high school had 4,000 students in packed into a building built for 2,200. And that was in the wealthy suburbs of West Palm Beach.

Amazing the sacrifices people make just to avoid a small percentage out of their paycheck!

EDIT: And I know I'm bitter at FL. I think after living there for 7 years, I have a right to give my informed - though angry - opinion.

Heh, I am from Davie and went to Flanagan for high-school: the biggest graduating class ever in Florida and second in the nation :p Also went to undergraduate at UF.

Talk about overcrowdedness :p Not bitter at all either just being a little critical :)

Heh, I am from Davie and went to Flanagan for high-school: the biggest graduating class ever in Florida and second in the nation :p Also went to undergraduate at UF.

Talk about overcrowdedness :p Not bigger at all either just being a little critical :)

Not all high schools in Florida are bad. The one that I went to offered more AP/IB exams than any other school in the country. I believe there was only one other school in the world -- a school in Singapore -- that offered more exams (at least, that's what we were told as high schoolers). I definitely felt more prepared for college than my undergraduate peers from around the US.

I do realize my high school wasn't typical, but it also wasn't a private school. So. Anyway, just felt the need to say something good about Florida because the thread was taking a terribly depressing turn :(.

Talk about overcrowdedness :p Not bitter at all either just being a little critical :)

just because you say you're not bitter doesn't mean you're not bitter ;).

I don't really understand why people complain so much about UF. Regardless of the problems they have as an institution, you're paying peanuts for an incredible education. If overcrowding was really such an issue for you you would have gone to a different school. I don't really think you should complain about the fact that there were too many people at your school that charged 3k tuition a year, 75%-100% of which was paid for by bright futures...

just because you say you're not bitter doesn't mean you're not bitter ;).

I don't really understand why people complain so much about UF. Regardless of the problems they have as an institution, you're paying peanuts for an incredible education. If overcrowding was really such an issue for you you would have gone to a different school. I don't really think you should complain about the fact that there were too many people at your school that charged 3k tuition a year, 75%-100% of which was paid for by bright futures...

The UF remark was just so people wouldn't think I'm hating without experiencing Florida's educational system.

I would agree that the education system is horrible, but I think that for what limited resources they have UF (can't speak for other schools) is an excellent institution. Granted I'm an engineering major so I can't really speak for the quality of a lot of the other coursework, but I think UF is quite a bargain for the quality of education we receive.

I would agree that the education system is horrible, but I think that for what limited resources they have UF (can't speak for other schools) is an excellent institution. Granted I'm an engineering major so I can't really speak for the quality of a lot of the other coursework, but I think UF is quite a bargain for the quality of education we receive.

I think UF is a lot like other schools in the sense that you really have to find the courses that challenge you and teach you something. You can't just sit back and hope that they'll just "happen" to you. It's hard to know which courses will be the good ones sometimes.

I definitely agree that it is probably one of the best $$ for education you can find pretty much anywhere.

Ah well, that's just my $0.02.

I absolutely agree that you get tremendous bang-for-your-buck at public Florida universities.

But I am so angry to see my old state choke itself when it could EASILY fill it's coffers with just a modest amount of taxation. Ugh! Meanwhile, states like Michigan truly are withering on the vine.

This discussion might be better suited for another forum, but you do realize that more tax revenue does not necessarily equal better schools. D.C. spends like 13k per student and they're not exactly rhodes scholars. Education is not a problem you can throw money at.

Anyway, it's a free country. You don't like the way they do things in FL so you moved out. I happen to enjoy life here so I want to stay. I won't butt into your local political issues if you kindly return the favor to me.

This discussion might be better suited for another forum, but you do realize that more tax revenue does not necessarily equal better schools. D.C. spends like 13k per student and they're not exactly rhodes scholars. Education is not a problem you can throw money at.

Anyway, it's a free country. You don't like the way they do things in FL so you moved out. I happen to enjoy life here so I want to stay. I won't butt into your local political issues if you kindly return the favor to me.

Well, I'm still a Florida resident. I pay my "taxes". I vote absentee. I have my say.

But I'll shut up now. You're right, this is distracting from the thread topic. Good luck with your applications to UCF and FIU. I sincerely hope that this begins a new era for Florida's education system.

I'd definitely agree that a bit more taxation would fix a lot of the problems, but I think few people have ever gotten elected on a raise taxes ticket ;).

I'd definitely agree that a bit more taxation would fix a lot of the problems, but I think few people have ever gotten elected on a raise taxes ticket ;).

Obama style:thumbdown:

WOW thats crazy, so fast. by the way, what dates are they offering you to go interview??

No dates offered yet.

As far as the other statement about not getting too excited since they aren't established. I have seen NO evidence that new schools have problems with matching or any of the sort from DO or MD. The first FSU class had some very nice specialities. Same with VCOM, LECOM and a bunch of others. I really don't think it'll be much of a problem on the student end. The biggest issue is the administration working out things on their end. That is one reason the classes start so small. It is more for administration than students. With 4 or 5 major hospitals for each school, rotations aren't an issue and I am really impressed with the curriculum FIU has to offer.

i received an interview invite from FIU on July 24th as well! I wonder how many applicants they will be interviewing? I know FIU has already received 1200+ applications for only 40 spots!