FIU or UCF MED Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was part of a UM med mentoring prog. I dont have exact numbers but i would say that of the state ppl that they take like 75% are from UM undergrad (maybe even more than that). Really few ppl in the prog were not UM alumni. I really dont find this fair but i guess since they are private they can do anything they want

You mean that of the in-staters, 75% are from UM, or 75 % of everyone is from UM? I find the latter hard to believe.

A quick, unscientific search of mdapps shows 1 accepted student from their undergrad (out of 20 accepted profiles).

Members don't see this ad.

Are their standards lower because they're new?

Since they are giving out 40 Full Ride scholarships, their standards are higher than average, if anything.

Edit: Yes, copperfrog09 because such a small sample means you are right. Not everyone that applies to medical school makes a mdapp profile -_-

Since they are giving out 40 Full Ride scholarships, their standards are higher than average, if anything.

Edit: Yes, copperfrog09 because such a small sample means you are right. Not everyone that applies to medical school makes a mdapp profile -_-

What? FIU is giving out full tuition scholarships? :confused: Are you sure you don't mean UCF?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is FIU screening before they send out secondary applications this year because I received their secondary fairly quickly after submitting my AMCAS (before I was even verified)? The MSAR says that they are screening but perhaps not because its their first year open?

Is FIU screening before they send out secondary applications this year because I received their secondary fairly quickly after submitting my AMCAS (before I was even verified)? The MSAR says that they are screening but perhaps not because its their first year open?

Yeah they aren't screening. I got it one or two days after I submitted my application, about 3 weeks before it was verified. The email tells you that if you meet the GPA/MCAT requirements then you should go ahead and fill out the secondary. I guess that's the only criteria for getting to the secondary.

You mean that of the in-staters, 75% are from UM, or 75 % of everyone is from UM? I find the latter hard to believe.

A quick, unscientific search of mdapps shows 1 accepted student from their undergrad (out of 20 accepted profiles).

I tend to exagerate a lot, but as far as i saw from the mentoring program that i participated in, A LOT of the students were UM undergrad, maybe not as much as 75%, but out of 13 ppl i ask about 8 or 9 were UM undergrad. ofcourse that doesnt mean this sample represents the whole UM med population but it is clear that they give preferences to their undergrads (the students told me this)

Yeah they aren't screening. I got it one or two days after I submitted my application, about 3 weeks before it was verified. The email tells you that if you meet the GPA/MCAT requirements then you should go ahead and fill out the secondary. I guess that's the only criteria for getting to the secondary.

Yeah, i think it was a 25 and a 3.0 qualifies you for a secondary

Yeah, i think it was a 25 and a 3.0 qualifies you for a secondary

They don't screen. Everyone gets a secondary. They send it to you before they have your stats and tell you they will only consider you if you have a 3.0 and a 25 MCAT. It's then up to you to self-screen and decide if you want to fill it out. I got a secondary before I sat for the MCAT.

Wow, just got an interview invite on the 31st from FIU. Looks like they've started early. That's crazy, and I'm stoked!

My adviser told me FIU wants to start interviewing ppl as fast as possible to get the ppl who "really" wants to go to the school. In my opinion i think that a lot of ppl are using it as a safety school. From what i heard you are going to need pretty good numbers to get in. From the other forums, it seems that they r going to interview a bunch of ppl.

do you think OOS applicants with avg. numbers 30 mcat 3.5 gpa have any chance at getting interviews at ucf or fiu?

Good luck, non-Floridians. I'm from West Palm Beach and the FL schools are notorious for pretty much only taking FL residents. And yes, their grades are quite inflated. And they're a bunch of fanatics, which I find odd because generally the school system in FL is terrible. Cheap tuition, though.

So I ran to University of Michigan.

When you say Florida Schools typically take only Florida residents does that include U. of Miami?

When you say Florida Schools typically take only Florida residents does that include U. of Miami?

Check the MSAR, according to UM they take a good number of ppl out of state

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think OOS applicants with avg. numbers 30 mcat 3.5 gpa have any chance at getting interviews at ucf or fiu?

got a friend with a 29 and a 3.65, he got an interview at FIU

Only about 1/3 of my class did their undergrad at UM, or less. There are more people who are florida/miami residents, but many of these people did undergrad elsewhere.

So there was talk earlier about florida schools having inflated GPAs, so if i'm a florida resident but went to a private school that I know does havent any grade inflation, should i expect to get some interviews with a 3.5 GPA and a 31MCAT?

i've only sent in a few secondaries and was just wondering

I am applying to UCF, because it is my undergrad school and for the free ride. I didn't hear about the out of state factor...in fact I'm inclined to say that is false because the whole motivation that UCF cited for opening the school was to provide physicians for the local community (which is underserved).

I think you are wrong about grade inflation in FL...at least at UCF it's not true. AT UF I know they curve many of the weed classes, but they do not at UCF. My chem one class had around a 75% failure rate.

Anybody know how many people FIU intends to interview?

I don't have the latest MSAR (I dunno if that info's in there or not) and their website doesn't say. I'm wondering because their class will be small, but I imagine in order to compete with the other FL schools they might have to interview a lot of people (and have a looooooong waitlist).

For everyone that is complete did you guys get an email confirmation? I submit secondary like over 3 weeks ago but amcas didn't send my letters right away. And FIU told me last week they only have one of my six letters.

For everyone that is complete did you guys get an email confirmation? I submit secondary like over 3 weeks ago but amcas didn't send my letters right away. And FIU told me last week they only have one of my six letters.

I never got a complete email, but I did get an interview invite email. :p

Anybody know how many people FIU intends to interview?

I don't have the latest MSAR (I dunno if that info's in there or not) and their website doesn't say. I'm wondering because their class will be small, but I imagine in order to compete with the other FL schools they might have to interview a lot of people (and have a looooooong waitlist).

Sounds about right, but hopefully us SDN'ers get outright acceptances and don't have to suffer through a massive waitlist. I know I am seriously excited about FIU and would love to have an opportunity to attend.

i was actually wondering the same thing, so i emailed FIU about a week ago to ask! They were super nice and promptly responded, saying that they intend on interviewing about 300 students for the 40 spots.

i'm interviewing there on Aug 25th (so soon!) and i'm PSYCHED!

i was actually wondering the same thing, so i emailed FIU about a week ago to ask! They were super nice and promptly responded, saying that they intend on interviewing about 300 students for the 40 spots.

Hmmm....300 for 40 spots....I wonder how many they'll have to accept to fill the class? I have the feeling that with UCF pulling away some of the better students (hey, I'd go, free tuition and all that) they might have to accept 100 people to fill all the seats. But I'm just guessing.

Yeah its true, i talked to one of the admissions people. she told me they r gonna interview about 300-400 ppl, and they r gonna make a waitlist of about 40 other seats. They know that there is a chance that a lot of ppl who gets accepted are not going to accept, that y they want a long wait list.

Didn't know they were scheduling interviews yet, email or phone call?

Email.

I received my interview invite on 7/24, an email on 8/6 offering 4 available dates in Aug + Sep (to which I responded IMMEDIATELY to!), and then a phone call on 8/11 to verify my date and answer any questions I had.

Email.

I received my interview invite on 7/24, an email on 8/6 offering 4 available dates in Aug + Sep (to which I responded IMMEDIATELY to!), and then a phone call on 8/11 to verify my date and answer any questions I had.

I also received an interview invite on 7/24, and I have yet to get a 2nd e-mail with available dates??? What's up with that?

I also received an interview invite on 7/24, and I have yet to get a 2nd e-mail with available dates??? What's up with that?

dont worry about it, they r working on getting ppl the actual dates. at least thats what they told me

dont worry about it, they r working on getting ppl the actual dates. at least thats what they told me
Oh really? Well I guess that's a relief...still nerve-wracking though.

Would like to hear more about these 2 programs. Please do share!