FIU vs. UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you attend?

• FIU

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • UCF

Votes: 28 50.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on how I should decide between UCF and FIU? I cannot decide between these two schools. I am a Florida resident and the costs are essentially the same. Since both are new, I am not sure which one will be better in terms of preparing me and helping me get into a desirable residency. I have family and friends near both schools, so I don't even have a deciding factor that way.

The only thing that might be a decisive advantage is that FIU is in Miami, and the hospitals there are considerably more well-known than those in Orlando. But UCF has the potential to be the better school based on
funding, facilities, and community enthusiam. I think I'll be happy at either school; I just want to make the best decision in terms of future career options. I recognize that a lot of that will be self-made success, but obviously the support that the school can provide is important.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any input on how I should decide between UCF and FIU? I cannot decide between these two schools. I am a Florida resident and the costs are essentially the same. Since both are new, I am not sure which one will be better in terms of preparing me and helping me get into a desirable residency. I have family and friends near both schools, so I don't even have a deciding factor that way.

The only thing that might be a decisive advantage is that FIU is in Miami, and the hospitals there are considerably more well-known than those in Orlando. But UCF has the potential to be the better school based on
funding, facilities, and community enthusiam. I think I'll be happy at either school; I just want to make the best decision in terms of future career options. I recognize that a lot of that will be self-made success, but obviously the support that the school can provide is important.

Thanks for any input!
I interviewed at both and I prefer UCF. Though everything is still under construction really, the leadership they have ensures you will be well taken care of for residencies. FIU isn't a slouch by any means, but I think UCF will end up providing more opportunities.

I interviewed at both and I prefer UCF. Though everything is still under construction really, the leadership they have ensures you will be well taken care of for residencies. FIU isn't a slouch by any means, but I think UCF will end up providing more opportunities.

Do you think this is true even when you take into account that the hospitals in Miami are probably going to provide more of a learning experience than those in Orlando? I didn't get a chance to meet the faculty at UCF because I wasn't able to attend their second look (I really regret not doing so now). I want to make sure that I have as few obstacles as possible for residencies, which I know is going to be made more difficult by the fact that both of the schools are new.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think this is true even when you take into account that the hospitals in Miami are probably going to provide more of a learning experience than those in Orlando? I didn't get a chance to meet the faculty at UCF because I wasn't able to attend their second look (I really regret not doing so now). I want to make sure that I have as few obstacles as possible for residencies, which I know is going to be made more difficult by the fact that both of the schools are new.
FIU has some decent leadership but I interviewed at Vanderbilt and at UCF, and since the UCF Dean worked at Vandy before, you can see shades of Vandy in the UCF curriculum. You'll learn a ton in Orlando so don't discount that at all. You may learn a lot in Miami, but I really liked the way UCF was set up.

FIU has some decent leadership but I interviewed at Vanderbilt and at UCF, and since the UCF Dean worked at Vandy before, you can see shades of Vandy in the UCF curriculum. You'll learn a ton in Orlando so don't discount that at all. You may learn a lot in Miami, but I really liked the way UCF was set up.

Thanks for that additional comments! I knew that Dr. German was from Vandy before UCF, but since I didn't apply there, I wasn't familiar with their curriculum in comparison.

sorry I disagree - you can't compare all the hospital affiliations that FIU has (world renouned Miami Childrens, Cleeland Clinic, Baptist, Mercy, Mt. Sinai, Broward North, et.c etc.) with the ones that UCF has plus their main hospital is still to be built. the level of education and opportunity in Miami is much greater than Orlando - I had the same choice and I selected FIU for those same reasons and I live in Winter Park.:love:
FIU Class of 2014

FIU without a doubt - Hospitals they are affiliated is enough to make the choice easy.

Thanks for any input!

Actually you will find the hospitals affiliated with UCF are MORE MUCH MORE WELL KNOWN then FIU hospitals. FIU is not even affiliated with the more well known hospitals in miami outside of miami childrens. The more well known miami hospitals are UMiami med hospitals.

UCF when all is said and done will be affiliated with BURNHAM INSTITUTE, a premiere NCI designated cancer center affiliated with UCLA, MD ANDERSON affiliated with UT Houston and Baylor Med and number 1 cancer center in the nation through branch affiliates that will communicate with their main hospitals in LA, CA and Houston Tx respecitvely.

UCF's Fl. Hospital system is quite well known academically among other medical schools including Nova's DO school and LECOM's DO school and FSU med who have all had contracts with them. UCF's Orlando Regional has been used by the highest ranking Fl. med school UF med for years upon years for externships and as a site where many former grads go for residency. This too is affiliated with UCF. FSU also holds medical rotations there as well.

UCF has far more medical institutions I tend to think and faculty from some of the nations leading med schools who really seem dedicated to bringing up the reputation of the school and in 5 years time it is predicted that it could possibly surpass other medical schools in the state.

FIU without a doubt - Hospitals they are affiliated is enough to make the choice easy.

Again, they are not affiliated with the best Miami hospitals. UCF's affiliations are far more reaching and better known then FIU's. FIU's only major hospital that it is affiliated with is Miami Childrens hospital. But UCF will have 2 major NCI designated well known cancer centers and several other long standing established Fl. medical training sites affiliated with them that are used by schools far more reputable and that have been standing a lot longer then either of these schools. FIU is not sharing the main jackson hospital and the jackson north hospital affiliated with them is not the same as the UMiami Jackson memorial hospital but a different site. Nor do they have bascom palmer which is one of the jewels of Umiami, a leading ophthamology center, nor the other major medical affiliates of Umiami med that make Miami such a coveted place for medical training in Fl.

FIU's Mt. Sinai Medical Center is also another strong facility they do have with national reputation but again its still not the same to me as what UCF will have when all is said and done and that they will have it as a medical city all the hospitals next to each other as is almost completely true Harvard sans the exception of the VA and MGH at Harvard.

However, you just have my two cents. I'm sure there are some who would prefer FIU. I'm sure by now you've already made your decision. For what it is worth a classmate from this past year was in the same position as you.

You obviously do not know what you are talking about, and I am only assuming you are unaware of their contract with Broward Health/Memorial Healthcare Sytem. The population and cases you will in Miami/South FL are one of a kind, and thats invaluable. You're making it seem as if Jackson is the only place where it all happens. I respect that you would prefer UCF over FIU but I think you should do a little more research into the hospitals your trying to belittle. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/miami-children's-hospital-6390625/rankings

You obviously do not know what you are talking about, and I am only assuming you are unaware of their contract with Broward Health/Memorial Healthcare Sytem. The population and cases you will in Miami/South FL are one of a kind, and thats invaluable. You're making it seem as if Jackson is the only place where it all happens. I respect that you would prefer UCF over FIU but I think you should do a little more research into the hospitals your trying to belittle. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/miami-children's-hospital-6390625/rankings

My point was that people made it out to be like FIU's hospitals are so much better. They are not necessarily more known. In fact not close to as well known when you compare to other schools. I'm not saying they aren't good experiences. They are and my friend wouldn't have given up AECOM or other places to go there. But people make it sound like they are far more reputed then MD Anderson or Burnham institute or other places. Not necessarily so.

Then why are you making it seem UCF's affiliation are so much better than FIU's when thats not the case either. I think we can both agree they BOTH have nationally recognized hospitals. I also know a student who ironically said no to AECOM and decided on FIU, another who chose UCF over FIU. Even though I prefer FIU I honestly root for both FIU and UCF and know they are both going to have a positive impact in Florida healthcare, and in the end that's what I really care about.

Ditto, I would pick FIU the hospitals ARE amazing and the cases in Miami are unbeatable.

Looks pretty close.

There can be only one tie breaker.

Miami...

VS+Angels+Beach+XXEhamBGz3Sl.jpg

Victoria's Secret Angels on the beach.Fontainebleau, Miami Beach, Florida.November 14, 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.