Five Year Undergrad instead of four

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering taking my bachelors degree slower and doing it in five years instead of four. I am starting my freshmen year of community college in a few days and will transfer.

My reasons are:
1) More time to study=improved gpa and MCAT.
2) More time for volunteering.
3) Less stress.

Opinions? How will med schools consider an extra year? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's a problem with an extra year, especially if you plan to do extracurriculars during it. I actually graduated with a bachelors degree in 5 years because I didn't want to overload myself. It also gave me a chance to study to retake the MCAT so I'd be happier with my score. Tbh I'm not sure whether a 5th year hurts or helps in the eyes of ADCOMs, but what probably matters is that you're either consistent or trend upwards in grades, involvement, etc.!

Reactions: 1 user
I am considering taking my bachelors degree slower and doing it in five years instead of four. I am starting my freshmen year of community college in a few days and will transfer.

My reasons are:
1) More time to study=improved gpa and MCAT.
2) More time for volunteering.
3) Less stress.

Opinions? How will med schools consider an extra year? Thanks.
Taking the extra time will not hurt you when applying to med schools. An increased depth and breadth of ECs can only help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a fifth year of undergrad and added a second major and a bunch of EC's, none of the schools I interviewed at even brought it up.

Its fine, just make sure you are taking a full load of classes

And that doesnt mean busy in some academic or premedical pursuit. I have had students who simply had to work fulltime in 7-11 and go to school part time. Others who decided to take a year off and do interesting travel. Or try touring with their band. or whatever. I used to say anything but staying home playing video games but a few years ago someone on SDN spent time playing the professional video game circuit and made money. So it isnt so much the activity but rather how you can frame it about what it says about you.
Which game?