Fixensmiles01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mamadent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,i was just reading ur reply to reina,in which u suggested something about a post graduate or MS program,could you please explain that a little more,i have not heard of such a program and was curious to know more.Also could you please suggest which univ. offer it.thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

well, here in america almost all dental schools have master level programs. also there are postgraduate programs. these programs are usually 2-3 years . they are specialty programs . the most popular seem to be prostdontics and periodontics. i am here in the north east region of america so my knowledge of specific programs is limited. however these are the following programs i know about.
1) univ of fla -prosto program - 3 years
- gives you the right to practice all facits of prosto in the state of fla. after you have finished and petitioned the state to practice. this has been done before and there is a 85 % rate of legal success. i know this because my best friend is chief resident there and is finishing this year.

2) BU - i believe they have both prosto and perio

3) tufts has a program too i dont now what it is but they except FTD's

4) temple university - has perio

5) indiana univ. - has perio

6) nyu- has prosto

basically you have to investigate all dental schools web sites in the US and continue your search for a section that contains a continue education part and see what they have to offer and if they will except you. every program is different some want you to have your part 1 passed and some want you to have both part 1-2 passed. there are even a few that dont reguire part 1 or 2 , but lets face it you need to get part 1 out of the way and with a 80 or above. and high 80's to 90 for advanced standing.

these m.s. programs as well as the PG programs are the last case senario to advanced standing there are no gaurentees here .

i know for a fact that new york state law ( and my fiance is a lawyer here and we researched it) states in black and white that a forieng trained dentist only needs two years of continued education to practice here in new york. this means that you can go to a m.s. or postgraduate program and specialize but they are more then 2 years they are 3 for the most part and there is a new manditory residency program all must do regardless of where you went or go to. so really if your like me and have to stay in new york 4 years no matter if you go to advanced standing at nyu or stonybrook or you choose to do a m.s. or p.g program.

my advise is to apply to everywhere and every type of program. what you need to do is get into the system and then pay attention to what options are available to you. i heard that some programs will let you stay on for two more years and teach there and they will give you a dds after you have completed the 2-3 pg or ms and the 2 yr. additional teaching so that can be 5 yrs. again just do the best you can on part 1 focus on advanced standing and if you must apply to all the schools and all the programs. good luck happy holidays BILL FIXENSMILES01

thanks a lot for the reply bill.actually i have passed my part 1 with a 81.i do plan on retaking the exam probably april beginning.Just contemplating to join kaplan or not and fearing wat if i get less than 81.i guess we all have to fight our fears. :confused: