FL practice scores vs real MCAT predictors: How valid/reliable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DadBod

Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking through some of these FL practice score vs. Real MCAT score charts/spreadsheets, and they seem pretty great-- even too good to be true. These tools basically say "add ten points to your average, and that's your score". I realize that the scores used to compile data have an average real MCAT score of about a 512, which obviously isn't representative of all of us mortals. I would assume that a lot of people have the same questions I do, which are as follows:

First question: when and how did the FL scoring change for testing companies? I've seen some mentions of the Kaplan scoring system change, but no one seems to know exactly how the scoring has changed. I would assume most testing companies have worked to make their scores more predictive as they've gained more data since the 2015 test was developed.

Second question: Which tests are the best (on average), as far as content goes (I'm asking for company and test #)? Most people say that EK and NS are the top choices for content... What I've experienced though, is that a couple tests from each company seem comparable to the AAMC material, but the rest of their tests are very different from AAMC and they taking them is equivalent to being nut (or ovary) punched for 7 hours.

Third question: Are there any of you out there who got average scores (497-503) on the real MCAT that have practice test averages?

I realize this post stems out of a desire to be able to predict my MCAT score, which is ridiculous and a futile waste of time, but I have issues. We all do.
Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, the AAMC FL score is what is most accurately going to portray what you'd get on the actual exam day. EK is a popular choice because it is a summarized review, as opposed to TPR which goes into a lot more detail.
Also, I believe that the 497-503 range that you're referring to is actually on the lower end - I've seen a lot of posts on the MCAT sub forum and it looks like around 510 is where you actually wanna be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did kaplan and loved it. My official score was 10 points higher than the highest I ever received on a practice. The scores i got on the FLs were lower than I wanted which always made me study even harder to bring it up.But i guess telling you that kind of ruins the panic aspect of it that kept me going. Anyways the kaplan tests always kicked my butt, but i ended up walking out of the real thing thinking "there's no way that was that easy..." Take it for what it's worth. Maybe I just had a good day

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking through some of these FL practice score vs. Real MCAT score charts/spreadsheets, and they seem pretty great-- even too good to be true. These tools basically say "add ten points to your average, and that's your score". I realize that the scores used to compile data have an average real MCAT score of about a 512, which obviously isn't representative of all of us mortals. I would assume that a lot of people have the same questions I do, which are as follows:

First question: when and how did the FL scoring change for testing companies? I've seen some mentions of the Kaplan scoring system change, but no one seems to know exactly how the scoring has changed. I would assume most testing companies have worked to make their scores more predictive as they've gained more data since the 2015 test was developed.

Second question: Which tests are the best (on average), as far as content goes (I'm asking for company and test #)? Most people say that EK and NS are the top choices for content... What I've experienced though, is that a couple tests from each company seem comparable to the AAMC material, but the rest of their tests are very different from AAMC and they taking them is equivalent to being nut (or ovary) punched for 7 hours.

Third question: Are there any of you out there who got average scores (497-503) on the real MCAT that have practice test averages?

I realize this post stems out of a desire to be able to predict my MCAT score, which is ridiculous and a futile waste of time, but I have issues. We all do.
Thanks for your help.

Here's a spreadsheet of hundreds of people's practice v. actual MCAT scores.

If you don't want to do the math to make sense of the numbers, it has already been done on here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/charts-predicting-mcat-scores.1176218/)... and other ones are on reddit.

Here's a spreadsheet of hundreds of people's practice v. actual MCAT scores.

If you don't want to do the math to make sense of the numbers, it has already been done on here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/charts-predicting-mcat-scores.1176218/)... and other ones are on reddit.

Thanks, I've seen info like this all over the place. It's very useful in helping to see where I'm at and bring down my anxiety levels after a 503 on a FL. My problem, though, is that the average MCAT score on these spreadsheets is a 510+, which is not representative of the actual test.

From what I understand, the AAMC FL score is what is most accurately going to portray what you'd get on the actual exam day. EK is a popular choice because it is a summarized review, as opposed to TPR which goes into a lot more detail.
Also, I believe that the 497-503 range that you're referring to is actually on the lower end - I've seen a lot of posts on the MCAT sub forum and it looks like around 510 is where you actually wanna be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks, I've seen some stuff you're referring to. I mentioned 497-503 because that's the average MCAT score for all test takers. I was wondering what people who scored in that range on the actual MCAT were scoring on practice tests, as no one on the available spreadsheets have scored that low on the actual test.

I did kaplan and loved it. My official score was 10 points higher than the highest I ever received on a practice. The scores i got on the FLs were lower than I wanted which always made me study even harder to bring it up.But i guess telling you that kind of ruins the panic aspect of it that kept me going. Anyways the kaplan tests always kicked my butt, but i ended up walking out of the real thing thinking "there's no way that was that easy..." Take it for what it's worth. Maybe I just had a good day

Thanks, good info! Most of the spreadsheets going around indicate that. It's nice to hear it from someone and not just see the numbers on a spreadsheet.

Did you also use the Kaplan 7 book set??

Can I ask when you took the MCAT?

I took it in august, so we only had the one official practice test (I'm super jealous that they have more out now). I bought the whole set with the online access and read every book cover to cover. Definitely take full advantage of all the online Qbank stuff, that's how i conquered physics(all I can say is KNOW YOUR FREAKING UNITS). Took all of their practice tests as well as some other companies. Practice tests are the key, seriously. There are only so many ways they can ask you about this stuff so the more questions you see the better of you will be. Kaplan's CARS book sort of (really) sucks, so I also bought the exam frackers 1001 verbal passages book and did 3 of those passages TIMED every single morning as a warm up and would do a couple of kaplans Qbank passages a day as well. CARS is a bitch and the only way to get better at it is to see as many questions as possible. So I seriously did like every available practice passage i could find. I kind of ditched their whole strategy because I was able to just remember where stuff was (there's not THAT much in a passage.. outlines did nothing but hurt me so I just started to speed read and go back for answers, but to each their own I suppose. The highest I ever scored on one of their FLs was a 511 but I was stuck around 500 for a couple FLs, so as you take more and more practice tests your score should shoot up. take I wound up getting a 521 (clutch af). Sorry I drank a ton of coffee today.

Thanks, I've seen info like this all over the place. It's very useful in helping to see where I'm at and bring down my anxiety levels after a 503 on a FL. My problem, though, is that the average MCAT score on these spreadsheets is a 510+, which is not representative of the actual test.

I also had that "no way it was that easy" feeling afterwards. Kaplan was great at instilling fear as a motivator. A 503 means you're probably in good shape. Just get a feel for the real thing beforehand from AAMC....and don't get complacent!

I took it in august, so we only had the one official practice test (I'm super jealous that they have more out now). I bought the whole set with the online access and read every book cover to cover. Definitely take full advantage of all the online Qbank stuff, that's how i conquered physics(all I can say is KNOW YOUR FREAKING UNITS). Took all of their practice tests as well as some other companies. Practice tests are the key, seriously. There are only so many ways they can ask you about this stuff so the more questions you see the better of you will be. Kaplan's CARS book sort of (really) sucks, so I also bought the exam frackers 1001 verbal passages book and did 3 of those passages TIMED every single morning as a warm up and would do a couple of kaplans Qbank passages a day as well. CARS is a bitch and the only way to get better at it is to see as many questions as possible. So I seriously did like every available practice passage i could find. I kind of ditched their whole strategy because I was able to just remember where stuff was (there's not THAT much in a passage.. outlines did nothing but hurt me so I just started to speed read and go back for answers, but to each their own I suppose. The highest I ever scored on one of their FLs was a 511 but I was stuck around 500 for a couple FLs, so as you take more and more practice tests your score should shoot up. take I wound up getting a 521 (clutch af). Sorry I drank a ton of coffee today.

Lol I know what you mean about the coffee. I may have posted this thread after a high dose of caffeine.
Thanks for the info. I'm basically doing everything you mentioned, minus the CARS. I've found Kaplans FL's are pretty good/similar to eMCAT, but a lot of people complain about them. I assume it's because of the low scores people get. Qbanks are great.
Thanks again for the input.