FL Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RBorhani

Emergency Physician
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I deleted the original post because the thread was getting to be a bit unprofessional and the posts were not answering the original questions which were:

"Is it true one could avoid the AOA internship in FL as long as the internship has the same content as an AOA internship?"

"Let's say I did my AOA rotating internship and then went on to a residency at NYU. Would there not be funding available in my 3rd year of residency?"

Please be professional and courteous when posting to this thread

Thanks
RB

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know the answer to your question number one. You should contact the Osteopathic board in Florida for an accurate answer.

Question number two: Based on my discussions with DMEs at ACGME programs (I am interviewing right now)..if you do an AOA internship; that will be your PGYI ..then if you decide to do an ACGME residency in which the ACGME program does not count your osteopathic internship as year one ---> there will be half funding for your last year of residency because it took you one additional year, beyond the funding years, to complete that program.

Again this is a bit confusing to discuss over the internet? your best bet is to contact a DME at an ACGME program and ask him/her to explain this process with you..

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited September 17, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
The original statement/question is false. There is little doubt that most all ACGME internships have the same/equivalent content as AOA internships. This is a minor criteria in the approval, by the AOA, of an ACGME internship. The following is a post I made in response to a similar question about liscensure in FL. It may or may not help:

"In the state of Florida you are required to do a D.O. internship year to get your liscence.
A few adendums though:
1: If you want to do EM then you might be in luck because some residenies have a "fast-track" which incorporates your internship into your residency, thus granting you credit for your year in hell.
Fast-tracks are abundant and you must check with each individual residency director to see what their rules are.

2: If you demonstrate "hardship" you can apply to the AOA to have your internship at an ACGME program "AOA-approved." A good example of hardship would be: "My wife has cancer and the only place they are doing the experimental procedure that could save her life is in Gainesville, where there are NO D.O. internship positions. I want to stay with her during her treatment and would like to have my internship in family med at UF AOA approved." A bad example would be: "Dude, I really love Gainesville and my wife just got offered a great job there so I want to get an internship there AOA approved."

The AOA has really begun to crack down on people abusing the hardship rule and thus it is rare to have your ACGME internship year AOA approved.

3: To practice medicine in the state of Florida you MUST have a liscence from your state medical board. Florida has one board for MD's and one for DO's (therein lies the problem). "

The question about funding has already been addressed and I will leave it alone.

Correction to post by MedicineMan:

There are NO fast track osteopathic ER programs.
There are emphasis track but NO fast track. This means that you still will have three years of ER after your internship but you get to do more ER rotations during your internship year.

I am applying/being interviewed by ER programs as we speak.

I do not know much about FL laws but if you want to do a residency there or in (MI, WV, PA, or OK)you best do an AOA approved internship.

The ACGME HCFA funding problem is real as mentioned in my original post.