FL RPh, will you fill a C-II Rx is written by an ARNP or PA ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx201605

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a C-II Rx today , it was written by an ARNP, for Adderall 20 mg , 1 PO QAM X30 Days
Patient told me that there were 3 pharmacies have denied fill this Rx, will you ?

I know by the law, started in January 2017, an ARNP or PA could prescribe CSs in Florida, but it only limited to 7 days supply. anyone here have already dispensed CSs from an ARNP or PA? how many days supply is allowed ?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind this is a common-sense interpretation of the regulations recently promulgated:

Neither PAs or ARNPS can prescribe more than a 7-day supply of a Schedule II controlled substance, except an ARNP who is a psychiatric nurse may prescribe more than a 7-day supply of a Schedule II controlled substance that is a mental health drug

A pharmacist may wish to confirm that an ARNP is a psychiatric nurse if the prescription is for a psychiatric mental health controlled substance and it is for a child or the drug is a Schedule II drug for more than a 7-day supply

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/deciphering-florida-s-new-laws-on-arnp-25553/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have filled it after my partner denied it. Nurse called to explain the law and that she is allowed to prescribe it. Its basically same as posted above. Has to be psychiatric nurse and need to apply to get their own DEA #. It was for vyvanse. I asked her how can we, as a pharmacist, differentiate which nurse is allowed and which is not. She did not have straight answer.

Reactions: 1 user
I have filled it after my partner denied it. Nurse called to explain the law and that she is allowed to prescribe it. Its basically same as posted above. Has to be psychiatric nurse and need to apply to get their own DEA #. It was for vyvanse. I asked her how can we, as a pharmacist, differentiate which nurse is allowed and which is not. She did not have straight answer.

And that is the problem with those laws, in IL, APN's/PA's can only prescribe 5 CII's......any 5 CII's, that their supervising physician puts on their registration form. So how is a pharmacy supposed to know which 5 CII's any individual APN is licensed to prescribe for? We can't. There has been talk about changing that (maybe it has changed, I've not kept up with that), but the 5 limit never made any sense to me. Either APN's can be trusted to prescribe CII's, or they can't. It's just dumb to say they can prescribe for morphine, but not Tussionix based on what 5 CII's are listed on their registration form, and in practice, pharmacists have to assume the APN's are following the law, because there is no way to know.

Wait wait wait wait wait, I keep hearing about PAs and APNS "applying for their own DEA number"

So let me get this straight:

The majority of NPs and APNs in FL don't have their own DEA #s???

Do they not write for CIII-CVs???

Wait wait wait wait wait, I keep hearing about PAs and APNS "applying for their own DEA number"

So let me get this straight:

The majority of NPs and APNs in FL don't have their own DEA #s???

Do they not write for CIII-CVs???

Until Jan of this year there were not allowed to by FL law. Now they are allowed to but of course very few of them have their own DEA# yet.

how many days supply of vyvance have you filled ? 7 days or 30 days supply ? I am waiting for something in writing that told me I can fill C-IIs for 30 days

Last edited:
One NP told me that she has her DEA number for many years:shrug:, I believe she is from another states .
However, recently, I have seen PAs started putting their DEA # on CS - Rxs ( like PA1237654 as such) , but our system doesn't recognize them yet .

Until Jan of this year there were not allowed to by FL law. Now they are allowed to but of course very few of them have their own DEA# yet.[/QUOTE
Wow, that's wild.

In Texas, they're allowed to do 90 days of C3 - C5, and no outpatient C2s at all.

HOWEVER, every pain management clinic from San Antonio to Waco has mid levels on staff.

I called several clinics out on having presigned C2 prescriptions being filled out by the mid levels, with no results.