1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Flexibility of the MSW

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by xena35o, Jul 27, 2011.

1. xena35o

I've been struggling to decide whether or not to pursue a PhD in counselng or clinical psychology instead of the MSW. One of the things that seems attractive about the MSW compared to psychology is that people keep saying how flexible the MSW. My question is about how much career mobility I might after I get licensed as a LCSW? My interests right now are in counseling and psychotherapy, particularly in clients who are struggling with sexual abuse or substance abuse. But, someday I may want to branch out to other things: research, program evaluation, administration, or advocacy. Is there much opportunity to try different roles after you've done something for a while, or is it very competitive due to the large number of social workers in practice? If you have any personal experience making a switch or taking on new roles, I would love to hear about them. I live in Maryland if that helps.

On a side note, I am also under the impression that it is easier to transfer a social work license to different states than it would be to transfer a psychologist license. Does this match with people's experiences?

Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    No. They both should be easy to get as long as you come from an acred. program.

4. paramour

7+ Year Member

And here I went for a PhD in psych b/c of the flexibility. :smuggrin:

Granted, I had no desire to pursue a MSW, so take my comment with a grain of salt. :D

5. GreenPsych

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'm sure others will disagree, as is always the case, but if I had to do it over I would go with the MSW. Quicker time to completion, less money woes, flexibility (I'm not sure I would say more, but still flexible), and you can still take Medicare/caid as a provider. Further, you can progress pretty high up as an administrator in the state/federal system if you have a decent business background etc. Also, if you ever get the itch for serious research you can pursue a PhD in Social Work at a later date.

Just my 2 cents.