FlexMed 2015 Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRT8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1st year GPA? SAT Score if possible? AP scores? What volunteering?

Seeing as you don't take the MCAT I hear ACT/SAT need to be strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a high ACT/SAT score. I had a fairly high score, interesting ECs, tons of community service (since they count high school) and didn't even get an interview. Good luck though.

If a 20 ACT is your only score, you're most likely not getting in.

What would you say the chances of FrexMed are for a non-science major (stats alone, alright ECs) with
No stats

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you say the chances of FrexMed are for a non-science major (stats alone, alright ECs) with

3.8 HS GPA
4.0 1st year gpa
2200 SAT (no ACT taken)

Stats alone, you have a shot. Your SAT is on the low side, but you have a fantastic 1st year GPA. Did you take a year of Chem or Biology?

Stats alone, you have a shot. Your SAT is on the low side, but you have a fantastic 1st year GPA. Did you take a year of Chem or Biology?
Took both first year actually.

Do you think it's worth paying the $200 application fee or would you recommend I not apply? (Money is not an issue, but I'd rather save the 200 if I reasonably an not a competitive applicant)

Took both first year actually.

Do you think it's worth paying the $200 application fee or would you recommend I not apply? (Money is not an issue, but I'd rather save the 200 if I reasonably an not a competitive applicant)

What EC's do you have? That's the bulk of your app.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

College (projected including & through 3rd semester):

Referee
Intramural Captain
High school league sports coach
psychology Research
paid notetaker
shadowing (30 hours)
hospital volunteering (100 hours)

HS:
200 volunteer hours
random clubs but no leaderships
Red Cross Treasurer outside of school for 1.5 year

Should I go ahead with these ECs and stats?

Some app weaknesses you have are high school GPA, high school activities, and a lack of a wow factor overall. You can't change the former two, and latter isn't really something you can force. Flexmed values people with strong outside passions, which you do seem to have with sports. I'd say you aren't the most competitive applicant, but you do have a shot. If you do decide to end up applying, best of luck!

Some app weaknesses you have are high school GPA, high school activities, and a lack of a wow factor overall. You can't change the former two, and latter isn't really something you can force. Flexmed values people with strong outside passions, which you do seem to have with sports. I'd say you aren't the most competitive applicant, but you do have a shot. If you do decide to end up applying, best of luck!
Thanks for your analysis!

Using your judgement, should I apply or should I just wait for the regular app cycle?

Thanks for your analysis!

Using your judgement, should I apply or should I just wait for the regular app cycle?

If you can keep up your GPA, develop your extracurricular activities and own the MCAT, you will have a lot more options for the regular app cycle. Of course, you will be spending more than just 200 bucks if you apply regularly, so I really don't see the harm in applying to Flexmed, since you're not out of the running.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can keep up your GPA, develop your extracurricular activities and own the MCAT, you will have a lot more options for the regular app cycle. Of course, you will be spending more than just 200 bucks if you apply regularly, so I really don't see the harm in applying to Flexmed, since you're not out of the running.

Stats deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
can you be a undergrad at any 4 year accredited university in the US and apply for FlexMed in Mt Sinai?

Sorry, I just remembered something about my SAT score..
the 2220 was a super score (700 reading, 760 math&writing)
My highest individual score was 2100. Does this take me out of contention for FlexMed or do they view super-score?

I have no idea. You will have to ask them. I don't think they would, though. You aren't out of the running, but a 2100 is probably near the bottom of the acceptable range for most acceptees.

can you be a undergrad at any 4 year accredited university in the US and apply for FlexMed in Mt Sinai?

Yes, but all the people I know who were accepted came from at least a top 50, if not top 20 undergrad.

Sorry, I just remembered something about my SAT score..
the 2220 was a super score (700 reading, 760 math&writing)
My highest individual score was 2100. Does this take me out of contention for FlexMed or do they view super-score?

FlexMed superscores. The app fee is also 100, not 200.

I have no idea. You will have to ask them. I don't think they would, though. You aren't out of the running, but a 2100 is probably near the bottom of the acceptable range for most acceptees.

Yes, but all the people I know who were accepted came from at least a top 50, if not top 20 undergrad.

Lots of people attended top schools. Students from Hunter College, Rutgers, 'Cuse, Delaware, and other state schools also got in though so school prestige is by far not the most important factor.

And another 2 questions,
Should I wait until the end of the Fall 2014 term to send them my college grades/transcript, or send them the one I have right now, which is only until the end of Spring 2014?

Do we need to attach the HS transcripts? The transcripts tab doesn't ask for it or give a spot for it, but the main website does..

And another 2 questions,
Should I wait until the end of the Fall 2014 term to send them my college grades/transcript, or send them the one I have right now, which is only until the end of Spring 2014?

Do we need to attach the HS transcripts? The transcripts tab doesn't ask for it or give a spot for it, but the main website does..
I believe that I sent my transcript. I didn't have to send my SAT/ACT scores because they were on the high school transcript and I seem to remember that they accepted that. If I had been accepted I am sure I would have had to send those.
Unlike regular admission, Flexmed is not rolling admission. If you have time to improve your application through ECs, better LORs, another semester of grades, then wait to send it in.

I believe that I sent my transcript. I didn't have to send my SAT/ACT scores because they were on the high school transcript and I seem to remember that they accepted that. If I had been accepted I am sure I would have had to send those.
Unlike regular admission, Flexmed is not rolling admission. If you have time to improve your application through ECs, better LORs, another semester of grades, then wait to send it in.

My GPA through my first year was really good, and now this year, there's a chance it may not be as good as it was first year (taking orgo and physics now).
However, I did not take any math courses first year and I am now, so will not having a math course on the application listed be a negative?

Actually, it's asking for the highest individual score: (see attached image)

Since I can't superscore and its asking for my best one, which one should I attach
-Total: 2100 (700 Reading, 760 Math, 640 Writing)
-Total: 2120 (620 Reading, 740 Math, 760 Writing)

Does the Math&Reading combination matter more, or the Math&Writing?

Call them and check. I'm almost positive that some people listed their highest individual scores and 2 test dates. I didn't because my highest happened to have occurred in one sitting. Make sure you double check this. Math + Reading combo matters more, but then again I think you list the highest individual scores.

My GPA through my first year was really good, and now this year, there's a chance it may not be as good as it was first year (taking orgo and physics now).
However, I did not take any math courses first year and I am now, so will not having a math course on the application listed be a negative?

Not having a math course will not be a negative. I know that several people did what you're doing (orgo + physics sophomore year). I would recommend that you try to do well in those and submit your transcript in December so that you have 3 semesters of grades on them. However, be warned that if you do not do well in those subjects, you may become "damaged goods" and can seriously jeopardize your admissions chances. But since these classes are required for the traditional route you'll do well to perform in those anyway.

And another 2 questions,

We had to scan our HS transcripts. It was one of the tabs on the application portal. Wait until it opens for 2015 and check. My SATs were also on my transcript but I think that some people had to screenshot the college board site.

Call them and check. I'm almost positive that some people listed their highest individual scores and 2 test dates. I didn't because my highest happened to have occurred in one sitting. Make sure you double check this. Math + Reading combo matters more, but then again I think you list the highest individual scores.

So because its asking for my highest individual score (2100 or 2120), and not a superscore (2200), should this make me reconsider? Because the 2100 seems to be on the very low end of the applicant spectrum. Do not want to waste time and money if I will be screened out immediately.

Also, you seem to know a lot about FlexMed... how did your application process go?

So because its asking for my highest individual score (2100 or 2120), and not a superscore (2200), should this make me reconsider? Because the 2100 seems to be on the very low end of the applicant spectrum. Do not want to waste time and money if I will be screened out immediately.

Also, you seem to know a lot about FlexMed... how did your application process go?

Again, it's very likely that they'll consider your 2200. Either way, a 2100 is not on the "very low end" of the spectrum. There's no way you'll get screened immediately. College GPA is weighed a lot more than any of the high school stuff and you're rock solid on that front. Just make sure you do well this semester. In any case, I think you should be worrying a lot more about your "plan" that you'll need to describe in your essays since it's a large part of the application. I applied last cycle and was admitted.

Again, it's very likely that they'll consider your 2200. Either way, a 2100 is not on the "very low end" of the spectrum. There's no way you'll get screened immediately. College GPA is weighed a lot more than any of the high school stuff and you're rock solid on that front. Just make sure you do well this semester. In any case, I think you should be worrying a lot more about your "plan" that you'll need to describe in your essays since it's a large part of the application. I applied last cycle and was admitted.
So you're advising I hold off applying until I get my 3rd semester completed?
I will probably receive the grades by early January, in that case. Is it bad if I apply right before the deadline, or would a November or December application be better (for which case I'd only use the 4.0 from 1st year)

And congrats!

So you're advising I hold off applying until I get my 3rd semester completed?
I will probably receive the grades by early January, in that case. Is it bad if I apply right before the deadline, or would a November or December application be better (for which case I'd only use the 4.0 from 1st year)

And congrats!

I applied very close to the deadline and was successful. I would probably wait until you have three semesters since they're likely to request those grades anyway. If you do well this semester and write good essays I actually think you have a shot. Good luck!

Based on what @Purplownz and @Aerus said so far, i think this FlexMed is primarily designed for/looks for applicants who have created foundations/clubs with future implications so that they can continue with that before entering med school.
As someone who is passionate about sports and wanting to do flexmed to take a year or two off before med school to gain sporting experience, I think this will reflect weakly of me, compared to other applicants.

Based on what @Purplownz and @Aerus said so far, i think this FlexMed is primarily designed for/looks for applicants who have created foundations/clubs with future implications so that they can continue with that before entering med school.
As someone who is passionate about sports and wanting to do flexmed to take a year or two off before med school to gain sporting experience, I think this will reflect weakly of me, compared to other applicants.

I don't know man. Several students had what I thought to be very strange plans and they ended up being successful. It doesn't need to be the traditional "I'm going to do some research/save the world bla, bla, bla." You never know until you try.

I don't know man. Several students had what I thought to be very strange plans and they ended up being successful. It doesn't need to be the traditional "I'm going to do some research/save the world bla, bla, bla." You never know until you try.
What were your plans (if you don't mind sharing) ?

You shouldn't ever think that one person's passions are inferior to another. If you are passionate about sports, go ahead.