Flight Surgeon and Aerospace Medicine Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brentunc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year AF HPSP medical student who is contemplating what to do with his life. I really like aerospace medicine and realize that to get there you must be a flight surgeon. As a result, I wanted some opinions from anyone out there who has been a flight surgeon and/or aerospace medicine doc (the good and the bad, specific unique experiences, etc.). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a lot of luck emailing w/Hadley Reed at Brooks AF Base. I don't know his rank (ooops!!) but his email address is: [email protected]. I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer any questions. If you check out the Brooks AFB website, you might be able to find his rank. Good luck.

B. Hadley Reed is a full bird Colonel. HPSP SAM Intro course (which is geared toward attendance between year 1&2) is a great ADT to do for learning about Aerospace Medicine. Col. Reed runs it. If you are ever in San Antonio and you are able, try to meet Col. Reed-he's the type of person who would try his best to meet with you-not only to learn, but also because he is truly one of the most amazing people you will ever meet. I trully feel honored to have met him at the 2002 HPSP SAM course.

Members don't see this ad :)
J-Rad---thanks for adding that info about Col. Reed. He was super friendly and helpful via email, and I will try to meet him next summer at SAM orientation course.

Brent---I hope you get the info you are looking for.

If you end up doing the USAF or USN, I highly encourage you to check out aerospace medicine. The Army has some aviation medicine, but it is not nearly as robust as the former two. I'm a doctor and flight surgeon in the USAF. I've practiced medicine in almost 10 separate countries over the 3 years I've been doing the job. I fly in an F-16 at least monthly. I love my job.

Here is a website I have created promoting the academic discipline: www.goflightmedicine.com

If you have specific questions about flight medicine in the USAF, send me an email at the 'contact us' on my above website or you can also post the question on the forum I just added to my site: http://goflightmedicine.com/forums/military-aviation-medicine-flight-medicine/

Either way, good luck with your decision.