Flight Surgeon (Army) info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time since I posted. I have been thinking alot about fligh surgery lately and possibly persueing that option. Unfortunately I can't find a lot of information about it. Anyone out there who could shed some light?

1. What will it allow me to do?
2. Does it add to my pay?
3. Will it limit me an any way?
4. How does it affect my deployability?
5. Whats the training like (how vigorous, how beneficial etc...)

Beau

Members don't see this ad.

anyone?....anyone?.....Bueller?

Hey guys, long time since I posted. I have been thinking alot about fligh surgery lately and possibly persueing that option. Unfortunately I can't find a lot of information about it. Anyone out there who could shed some light?

1. What will it allow me to do?
2. Does it add to my pay?
3. Will it limit me an any way?
4. How does it affect my deployability?
5. Whats the training like (how vigorous, how beneficial etc...)

Beau

Since no one else has answered, I'll give my no-experience-yet-flight surgeon qualified perspective:

1) It'll allow you to take care of all those involved in the aviation community - pilots, crew, and air traffic control just to name off a few.

2) You'll get flight pay on top of your pay (not much though)

3) Don't know about what limits there will be, although I am 100% sure that there are plenty. You most likely will have to take a 2-3 year billet which might make you put off fellowship longer than you want.

4) How does it affect your deployability? In the words of Homunculus, the FS badge just shouts "DEPLOY ME" like none other.

5) When I did the course, it was even better than OBC. It's six weeks. Our main instructor was training for a triathlon, so there was some pretty good PT every morning. Then classes/flights/simulators the rest of the time. No really need to study, there was plenty of foot stomping going on. Here's the link to a more detailed explanation of the course - link. I had a great time, and am truly looking forward to playing Army for a little bit. It's probably naive of me, but I can't wait.

Feel free to reply/PM with any questions. Any contradictory thoughts to my answers are also welcomed, although I know folks aren't shy here about posting those kind of thoughts.