Flight surgeon course at Fort Rucker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armydoctobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the flight surgeon course at Fort Rucker, what is it like?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to the flight surgeon course at Fort Rucker, what is it like?

I'm sure it's changed some since I took it 14 years ago, but it wasn't bad. Mainly, you learn the regs (AR 40-501), take a few rides with trainee pilots (the aircraft have orange doors so they can find them easier when they crash!), do some PT, and have a fair amount of time to party in Panama City if you wish. Also, make sure you hit Larry's Barbecue in Dothan to pig-out on the chicken and ribs.

I'm sure it's changed some since I took it 14 years ago, but it wasn't bad. Mainly, you learn the regs (AR 40-501), take a few rides with trainee pilots (the aircraft have orange doors so they can find them easier when they crash!), do some PT, and have a fair amount of time to party in Panama City if you wish. Also, make sure you hit Larry's Barbecue in Dothan to pig-out on the chicken and ribs.

Sounds about the same....take a ride in the altitude chamber, if you can swim ok you get to try out the dunker. Very laid back 6 weeks of vacation. 100% graduation, both docs and PAs, some residency completed, some GMOs. Enjoy your time there.