Flight Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I "failed" the PIP card test, but passed the FALANT vision test (essentially meaning I'm colorblind, but not in regards to red and green). Does this mean I'm ineligible for flight surgeon training? And are there waivers available?

Members don't see this ad.

armydoc,

From your name, I'd guess you're asking about the Army's standards...don't know about them, but as for the Navy:

COLOR VISION
The Pseudo-isochromatic Plate (PIP) is now considered the primary testing method for aviation programs. The test should be administered carefully, using a Macbeth lamp for correct lighting color. Plates should be rearranged periodically. Twelve of fourteen (12/14) constitutes a pass; if members fails PIP, FALANT may be administered, with 9/9 considered passing. If one error is made on the first run, 16/18 correct responses is passing. Alternative color test include ISHIHARA color plates 12/14 to pass on a 16 plate test.

So if you passed the FALANT, you should be fine.

Your best bet is go to www.usasam.amedd.army.mil and look up waiverable conditions. I don't think it should be a problem as you are not responsible for piloting the aircraft. You won't be eligible for a dual designate slot - Dr. and aviator.