Flights for OOS interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

initialize

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Random question, but do most interviewees book their return flight the same day of their interviews or the day after? From my understanding most interview days end around 4-5 pm, so I'm trying to figure if it's worth the hassle of booking a late night return flight...

Members don't see this ad.

I booked same day flights so I could get back to my life (school, lab, friends/family) ASAP. I never had a problem getting sufficiently late flights.

Reactions: 1 user
All depends - some prefer to stay an extra night depending how far the flight/travel is. Make sure you leave enough room for the commute and are actual able to board on time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also wanted to save money on hotel costs. Interview season gets expensive fast.

I booked same day flights so I could get back to my life (school, lab, friends/family) ASAP. I never had a problem getting sufficiently late flights.

Doing the same because of other life commitments, haven't had an issue finding a flight/train after interviews so far

Im flying back right after my interview. I cant take too much time off of work so fly out the night before, get in late, interview, fly out about 3 hours after interview (cuz TSA and stuff)

Reactions: 1 users
Same day. For two reasons. First, you'll have to find somewhere to stay otherwise. Most students would probably be okay hosting you another night but it's not expected of them. Second, flying back the next day puts that travel time on the next day's balance sheet so you end up losing three days total, more or less, to travel (before interview, interview, after interview).