Floater pharmacist life-what’s your experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmDstud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wanna know what your experience has been as a floater pharmacist. I graduated in May and just started in October. I had 2 weeks of training and I’m on my 4th week.

So far I stay 30mins to an hour extra (no extra pay) almost every shift. I think I only left exactly on time twice lol.

What I am frustrated about is that most people think floaters leave messes. I try my absolute best and stay extra as well..I don’t understand how anyone can think you can leave a shift completely clean..especially at a busy store.
I am just starting and trying to make a good impression but I am struggling...idk

Anyways, I can’t wait to hear about your experience!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, floating isn't as bad as it's made out to be. I live in a suburban area and I never have to drive far. I'll usually stay extra when needed to tidy up for the next day and make sure the queue is all caught up. Do really well, make sure the techs and patients like you and make sure to do what the store manager wants and you'll be good. It paid off for me. I took a steady split at a good store. I literally only have to take one shift every two weeks at another store now.

Don't stay late. No one will appreciate it. They'll still blame any problem on you regardless.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anything that will give you a peace of mind and sweet dreams, do . Build good relationships with your techs, colleagues and customers. Do not take part in gossiping about others. Do not take sides when issues arises. Pray for guidance and wisdom with every decision making. You’ll be fine. If you’re staying late because of customers issues, it’s okay to request to make up for the hours the following day.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I haven't stayed more than 5-10 minutes late and that's rare. Typically get there between 15-20 minutes early though, just because I'm anal about being punctual and I'm always worried that I'll hit some delay in the morning.

Other than that, I just do what I can. I think I've had 2 shifts since I've been licensed that I didn't leave a clear queue and both were pretty short staffed. More often I'll have time to send a tech home early or have someone pull outdates/do random housekeeping tasks for a while.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Just know that if you don't stay late and get the queues clean there's always 10 unemployed pharmacists hungry for your position. It's your call.

When I got licensed in 2013, I floated for a retail chain for about 6 months.

Since I was the new kid on the block, I often came in about 15 minutes before my shift and even stayed 15 minutes after my shift to make sure things were not a disaster for the remaining team members. I played well with others and welcomed the challenge of "fixer-upper" stores. I didn't get paid for this decision, but I wanted to get noticed. I wanted team members to see me as someone that they could rely upon and that if they worked with me things would get done. Well, management did notice my good rapport and whenever a shift was available, I was usually the first one they would call. It wasn't uncommon for me to work 50+ hours a week. I also got quite a few compliments from patients so that boosted my ego a bit too.

I was denting my student loans and learning the ins and outs of retail pharmacy from many different teachers (techs, managers, staff pharmacists, etc). Eventually, I was staffed at a store and I no longer felt the need to pick up as many extra shifts. That was an exhilarating, exhausting ride and I wouldn't do it again as being a staff pharmacist offers much more stability and consistency than a floater. However, it was a crucial "sink or swim" moment in my professional career and I hope it provides others with some insight.

Fast forward to 2019, the job market is definitely a lot tighter now and there are many hungry new grads out there vying for dwindling staff positions. I retain the belief that a hard-working, motivated individual will be utilized quicker or find some kind of niche to fill.

Edit: Happy 50th post!

Reactions: 2 users
The worst situation for a floater is opening up a strange store with no tech help.

Reactions: 4 users
I floated for ~ 1.5 yr and actually learned a lot from different pharmacists and senior techs. The benefit of going to different stores is that you get to see and learn different things. I would say 99% of the time the pharmacists/techs I have met while floating were very willing to help and teach me new things. Also, being in different stores you kind of get to observe and see how they work. Honestly, besides the commute I've actually enjoyed my time as a floater, of course that means cleaning up and keeping up with the workload depending on where you go and how busy they are. I took up a staff position about a year ago and although it guarantee me 40 hrs/week it does sucks at time as you have to deal with the same clients (mainly the bad ones), the KPI scores, this time of year "flu shots goals", among other irrelevant metrics by corporate.

Depending on location, it can be a hit or a miss. My friend had a 44 last weeks over a course of 6 days. 3 of those days he had to drive over an hour to reach the place and 2 ofem had no parking (Street parking in NYC is absolute ass btw).

I floated at WAG for a year and then floated last 3+ Years at a multi-specialty clinic.

I felt a similarly to OP when I started: overwhelmed, staying late, etc. It got way better as I got more experience and confidence. Eventually, the stores were excited when they saw I was the float.

I think the biggest thing they appreciated was helping them where I can: answering the phone, ringing a patient up if they are busy, filling an easy waiter. Little things like that really makes you stand out amongst other float pharmacists who are statues at their work station.

I’ve never understood the negative perception of floating. I love doing my job, closing up, and not thinking about work again until the next day. I don’t have to be involved in any office drama or dread seeing bad coworkers the next day since chances are I will be somewhere else. Until staff or Manager positions pay significantly more I don’t see myself applying for them.

the negative perception of floating

You mean the negative perception of floaters as avoiding responsibility

Don't want it, don't complain about a ****ty schedule then. Not saying you are, but this is a common complaint of floaters.

Anything that will give you a peace of mind and sweet dreams, do . Build good relationships with your techs, colleagues and customers. Do not take part in gossiping about others. Do not take sides when issues arises. Pray for guidance and wisdom with every decision making. You’ll be fine. If you’re staying late because of customers issues, it’s okay to request to make up for the hours the following day.

Yea... I agree with this... I dunno about all the hippy s***, but sure... this works

I was a floater for 2 years with WAG. I got trained in 7 to 10 days, floated to stores to see their operations and help guide staff to be more efficient in weak stores. I always stayed behind hoping to decrease the burden for the pharmacy without getting compensated practically all the time. The pharmacy operated without manager and then a district manager for a long time. My DM would email specifying that I would be a staff pharmacist at 2nd busiest pharmacy in my state, which I would float to often. Only to find out a week later they hired a staff RPh. At first first I thought it might be for the best but then I was let go for coming late for a third time unintentionally (per company policy 3 times your out). Now I kinda regret giving them my time and should've left on time. As a floater you do your best waking up early and getting to work on time. But some states allow employers to terminate you without any reason.

Don't stay late. No one will appreciate it. They'll still blame any problem on you regardless.

if you gotta stay late to finish up, your doing it wrong. and yeah your gonna get known as "that pharmacist who lets the store fall behind and has to stay late to catch up".... and quickly...

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I wanna know what your experience has been as a floater pharmacist. I graduated in May and just started in October. I had 2 weeks of training and I’m on my 4th week.

So far I stay 30mins to an hour extra (no extra pay) almost every shift. I think I only left exactly on time twice lol.

What I am frustrated about is that most people think floaters leave messes. I try my absolute best and stay extra as well..I don’t understand how anyone can think you can leave a shift completely clean..especially at a busy store.
I am just starting and trying to make a good impression but I am struggling...idk

Anyways, I can’t wait to hear about your experience!

How many hours are you getting and which company? How far are your commutes and what region?