Flogging a dead horse. (Can I make it to pre-med?)

TheTurk44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but, I've been reading threads like my situation, but there aren't any that I could find that would help me. I apologize if I've somehow overlooked one that would help.

My story/question is a bit long, so bear with me. So, I'm 17 and a high-school drop-out, I realize this isn't sounding good already, but allow me to construe. My father was an abusive drunk for 15 years of my life, and that took a toll on my efforts in school. I'd spend all night worrying what he'd do and all day either sleeping in class or worrying even more. Last year he was finally caught by DCFS and was ordered to leave, he hasn't returned since and I understand a divorce between him and my mother is in order. This happened December of 2012 (at least I remember it to be, a lot of my memory of the past has been repressed). I was under a ton of stress, barely making it by in classes, and in September of 2013, I came down with appendicitis, and was out of school for a week or two. Being behind on homework and the stress of all that was happening around me caused me to shut down. I didn't pay attention at all in school, I didn't have a support structure of any kind and was, in fact, supporting other people instead, as a result I dropped out in November of 2013. My GPA after all that, I believe was 2.7.

I apologize for the long post. Anyways, after that I was in a depressive state for nearly 8 months (I saw a counselor the whole time) until I enrolled in a CNA course to help me get back on track. I finally recovered from all this sometime last July and am starting to realize how deep a pit I fell into. I took the ACT last September and scored a 23. I would've scored a 26, but I am dreadful at math, and that brought me down three points. While that isn't a good score, I maintain it is good for a kid who's only had two full years of high school, all while contemplating suicide. Anyways, I'm looking to take the GED sometime this spring or early next year, I'm not sure yet. I'm also applying to the local volunteer fire department to be a cadet there, and want to take an EMT course this summer when I'm 18. I'm also looking into colleges. I've always wanted to be a doctor, and I'd still love to go down that road, but I'm not sure if I would be accepted by any schools for some form of pre-med major. I know that I can do it, I just need to know how. I've also looked into nursing, but that's just not what I'm looking for. Any med students' or pre-med students' advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks for reading and sorry for being so long-winded, bad habit.

Members don't see this ad.

Get the GED and Go to a community college for two years and start taking prereqs and other requirements for whatever degree you want to get at a 4 year university. There is no "premed major" so your major doesnt matter as long as you end up taking a year of bio, physics and english, and two years of chem. College is a fresh start, no med school is ever going to know or care about what you did in high school. I wouldn't worry about the EMT and extracurricular stuff until youre back in school and settled in. Get the GED ASAP and get in school and get started you have a completely clean slate. GOOD LUCK

It's a very long story, but I come from a family with substance abuse problems and I had to leave school by 12 to take care of my mother. So I have no formal schooling past the age of 12. When I was your age, I left home and got a ged. About a year and a half later I enrolled in a 4 year school.

Right now I'm in my third year with a 3.9 gpa and have done great summer programs/research/won awards. Things I'd never expect before I got here.

The whole point of me saying this is to show you that what you've done or been through before college means **** all. You might even find you perform at a higher level than others because you've seen the serious side of life and have perspective. It will not hold you back in any way. The only thing that will is thinking that it will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read all. Sorry your father was a drunk :( but yea get GED, community college, loans and state school to finish up.. You'll be fine. Focus on school and try not to work 40 hours a week during college. It's not worth it. Good luck

Although I am not pre-med, I am pre-dent and am applying this cycle.

I spoke for an hour one day with a long-time dentist who has practiced for over 40 years. His story in a nutshell: He dropped out, got his GED, worked odd-jobs for a few years and realized that it wasn't what he wanted to do. Went to a 4-year college on a military scholarship. Applied to dental school, got accepted, and attended on another military scholarship. All the while, he did not spend a dime to education. As an older gentleman, he is very content on his path of life.

The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that who you are.