Flood of "Am I good enough threads?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone notice that ever since the October MCATs came out, this forum has been taken over by these asinine questions? If these folks would do their 2 cents worth of research and scour the forum, they'd get all the info they'd need. Would be good help when you do research in medical school too!

Members don't see this ad.

just let them freak out here. i mean they're already online checking their scores. at least it's not you.

Although it would certainly be helpful if they would do a little research before posting, I'll still help 'em out one at a time...

Basically five answers I've been giving them at this point - barring complicating factors.
1. MCAT is way too low, retake and reapply. Sorry.
2. MCAT is in the low 20s, consider DO or foreign, otherwise retake and reapply.
3. MCAT is in the mid 20s. If the score is balanced and the rest of the app is good, go ahead and cast a wide net. Otherwise, same as #2.
4. MCAT is in the upper 20s to low 30s. Why are you wasting our time? Work on your application!
5. MCAT is higher than the low 30s. TROLL! TROLL!

It would be cool to know how many such threads have been started in the two days, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree. i couldn't believe it, but give them a break. getting your mcat score is a huge thing, and finding out where you can go/chances is a natural thing most poeple'd want to know.

ive saved up my one "this post is all about me thread" for late spring when i hopefully have a really annoying 'school X vs. school Y' dilemma.

im just warning everyone now. ive never done anything selfish like that yet, but itll happen once, i think its fair.

hey tripledegree...please understand that this is a time when lots of premeds feel lost and confused. Some of us are desperate for answers, advices, and more importantly, comfort. Part of being a good doctor is to provide assurance when the patient hits a low point in his or her life. Similarly, being a future doctor yourself, you should do your best to provide answers to those who did not do so well on the MCAT.

TripleDegree said:
Anyone notice that ever since the October MCATs came out, this forum has been taken over by these asinine questions? If these folks would do their 2 cents worth of research and scour the forum, they'd get all the info they'd need. Would be good help when you do research in medical school too!

sdnstud said:
hey tripledegree...please understand that this is a time when lots of premeds feel lost and confused. Some of us are desperate for answers, advices, and more importantly, comfort. Part of being a good doctor is to provide assurance when the patient hits a low point in his or her life. Similarly, being a future doctor yourself, you should do your best to provide answers to those who did not do so well on the MCAT.

All I'm saying is that this information is already out there, posted about a million times by prior people like yourself. Part of being a good doctor is knowing how to direct a patient to take good care of himself. Another part of being a good doctor is being able to do your own research, and not relying on your peers to babysit you.

So there.

Yeah but MCAT and GPA isn't necessarily gonna get you an interview. I remember reading about a guy or gal (can't remember screen name) with a 40 who applied to Univ of Chic and got rejected post-sec. I mean really...who turns down someone like that. And don't give me that "he has a bad personality" BS. Wouldn't you want a doctor who knows what he/she is doing. It just goes to show that studying you ass off for the MCAT is waste of time. Seems like everyone is better off with high 20's than high 30's. Adcoms middle to lower tier schools think that if someone with great stats applies to their school that they will not go there, which is stupid. But then again this is just my two f$%#$% cents.

If anyone is wondering...I am a little angry these days.

GOBUCKY!

GOBUCKY! said:
Yeah but MCAT and GPA isn't necessarily gonna get you an interview. I remember reading about a guy or gal (can't remember screen name) with a 40 who applied to Univ of Chic and got rejected post-sec. I mean really...who turns down someone like that. And don't give me that "he has a bad personality" BS. Wouldn't you want a doctor who knows what he/she is doing. It just goes to show that studying you ass off for the MCAT is waste of time. Seems like everyone is better off with high 20's than high 30's. Adcoms middle to lower tier schools think that if someone with great stats applies to their school that they will not go there, which is stupid. But then again this is just my two f$%#$% cents.

GOBUCKY!
hah, yeah, sounds like it.

good luck to you.

I've posted a thread dealing with this issue. Feel free to comment as you see fit.

I'm with you, Triple Degree. Honestly, if you guys are THAT uncertain, go talk to your pre-med advisor and profs. They have concrete numbers and stats from years past. After all, we're a bunch of strangers giving anecdotal info on a silly website. Please try to understand that those of us who are willing to offer advise based on our experiences would respond much more favorably if you leave the "woe is me" attitude at home.

GOBUCKY! said:

GOBUCKY!

Did you get rejected from madison or something? Why are you mad? I agree, I bet the person holding the most acceptances has a 34 or 35 and applied to all kinds of schools

IndyZX said:
ive saved up my one "this post is all about me thread" for late spring when i hopefully have a really annoying 'school X vs. school Y' dilemma.

im just warning everyone now. ive never done anything selfish like that yet, but itll happen once, i think its fair.

:laugh: :laugh: I would also like to reserve my right to be selfish then...although my introduction to SDN came through a what the **** should I do with a 12 12 7...and really, its a fair thread because it depends on the person, and everyone, even advisors and admissions people have different opinions.

I personally think we should give people a break... unless someone has a mid to high 30's and a solid GPA, in which case I think the person is looking to somewhat brag... I think that maybe everyone else, is just looking for a little bit of support from one of the only places where numerous people who have been and are going through it "hang out". I really don't see the huge problem, let's give these people some support at the one time when they really do need it (at least till interview season really gets going)...

Nahh...I haven't been rejected yet..just waiting to get my interview from Maddy...and the wait is just starting to piss me off.

GOBUCKY!

well it sounds like you have a good score...you shouldn't be worried, are you out of state? I forget...I probably have class with you.

sdnstud said:
TripleDegree said:
All I'm saying is that this information is already out there, posted about a million times by prior people like yourself. Part of being a good doctor is knowing how to direct a patient to take good care of himself. Another part of being a good doctor is being able to do your own research, and not relying on your peers to babysit you.

So there.
I'm with TripleDegree on this one. Sure, everyone feels lost and confused sometimes, but can't people think a little about contingencies in advance? It's been a couple of months since the August MCAT. . . wasn't that enough time to mull over a few different score scenarios? Why the pants-wetting panic?