Florida 2018 Legislative Session: HB679/SB848 Remote Dispensing in Technician-Only Pharmacies.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UF CROCK

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what is happening in the state that brought you "6:1 Tech/Pharmacists Supervision" ratios.

Now the legislation hasn't passed, but the Big companies have done this before by simply bypassing the Board and getting a legislator to sponsor a bill.

If I had it to do over I would NEVER, EVER go to pharmacy school and the students that visit this forum should consider their future VERY carefully. Its not just Florida, other states are being lobbied similarly because its the new "business model." Other states have Drug Pick-up Kiosks for example (Google: Walgreens Pharmacy Kiosk ).

I had a job for 5 of the last 10 years, graduated in top 5% from UF (Top ten ranked at time of my attendance), and have clinical and retail experience. I have been unemployed for over a year.

This is a DEAD profession that is breathing its last gasps. Choose wisely, this isn't going to go away.

Remote Dispensing in Technician only pharmacies. HB679/SB848

This legislation would create a new pharmacy permit for technician only pharmacies that are remotely supervised by a pharmacist in an off-site location. A pharmacy manager would be permitted to supervise up to three pharmacies; one on-site and two remote locations. The current legislation would only require that the remote pharmacy be at least 10 miles from an existing pharmacy.

The Florida Pharmacy Association opposes this legislation based on our concerns for patient safety. Medication errors are the largest contributor of expenses and negative outcomes in healthcare today. Remote dispensing, as it is currently proposed, fragments the patient, pharmacist and physician relationship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you being picky with your locations when you're trying to find work?

This is what is happening in the state that brought you "6:1 Tech/Pharmacists Supervision" ratios.

Now the legislation hasn't passed, but the Big companies have done this before by simply bypassing the Board and getting a legislator to sponsor a bill.

If I had it to do over I would NEVER, EVER go to pharmacy school and the students that visit this forum should consider their future VERY carefully. Its not just Florida, other states are being lobbied similarly because its the new "business model." Other states have Drug Pick-up Kiosks for example (Google: Walgreens Pharmacy Kiosk ).

I had a job for 5 of the last 10 years, graduated in top 5% from UF (Top ten ranked at time of my attendance), and have clinical and retail experience. I have been unemployed for over a year.

This is a DEAD profession that is breathing its last gasps. Choose wisely, this isn't going to go away.

Remote Dispensing in Technician only pharmacies. HB679/SB848

This legislation would create a new pharmacy permit for technician only pharmacies that are remotely supervised by a pharmacist in an off-site location. A pharmacy manager would be permitted to supervise up to three pharmacies; one on-site and two remote locations. The current legislation would only require that the remote pharmacy be at least 10 miles from an existing pharmacy.

The Florida Pharmacy Association opposes this legislation based on our concerns for patient safety. Medication errors are the largest contributor of expenses and negative outcomes in healthcare today. Remote dispensing, as it is currently proposed, fragments the patient, pharmacist and physician relationship.
I'm very surprised this post isn't getting more comments. From what I have heard once passed the plan is to go State-wide and beyond just managed-care plans. There are Tech-only Pharmacies in ND, TX & ID and I can see how in those States it would make sense as some parts are so remote ... but Florida?