Florida licensure with sealed/expunged felonies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fiorinihc!

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be at all possible to be licensed by the state of Florida as a clinical psychologist with some sealed felony charges? The disposition was Withhold of Adjudication on all counts, charges all sealed. I can expunge them in 10 years. I wanted to go to school for my PsyD and I currently have my Associates in Arts degree.

Will licensure be possible given that I wasn’t convicted of felonies and my charges were sealed? If they are expunged will it be more probable for me to be licensed? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd email the board about this directly.

Also, depending on what type of setting you want to work in one day, this may matter in job selection/background checks, license aside.

I will likely have to inquire about this to the board. I would hate for a childish mistake I made as a 19 year old to prevent a dream career or license, especially if it’s sealed and expunged.

Also, should it even come up on the background check for the job I apply to? I’d figure it wouldn’t given that it’ll be sealed and later expunged.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the Florida Psychologist Licensure Application (holding and underlining mine):

“26. Have you ever been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty, nolo contendere, or no contest to, a crime in any jurisdiction, including a military court martial, other than a minor traffic offense? You must include all misdemeanors and felonies, even if adjudication was withheld by the court so that you would not have a record of conviction. Driving under the influence or driving while impaired is not a minor traffic offense for purposes of this question.

Looks like you would have to answer “yes.” It might not disqualify you. You really need to contact the board regarding your specific situation. Licensing boards and other similar entities do not look at things done as a 19 y.o. as “childish mistakes,” but as potential patterns of behavior which, if license is granted, might put the public at risk. The are additional questions on the application regarding specific felony types and relevant Florida Statutes, as well as regarding how long ago it was (e.g. longer than 10 years ago). Crimes related to fraud, public health, abuse of public assistance programs, and drug abuse prevention seem to be given more scrutiny. If your crime involved Medicare/Medicaid fraud (always popular with 19 year olds, right?) you may have a problem. Again- contact the board sooner than later.

Note that all this info is pretty easy to get. Google “State Name Psychologist licensure application” and follow links to a pdf of the application. This is how you’ll also find contact info for the board. Contact that board! You need to know what’s up before you spend the next 10+ years investing time, money, and opportunity costs into pursuing a potentially not realistic profession.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, it looks like you'd need to disclose, and your best bet is to contact the board directly. They may not be able to give you a firm answer, as it's often handled on a case-by-case basis, but they may also have some charges that are automatically disqualifying.

Likely also highly dependent on what happened and the specific charge.

Thank you all for the replies. I will be in contact with the board as soon as I can, though I have a feeling I’m likely to be denied due to the severity of my crimes. They involve grand theft and burglary of conveyances, making my future prospects likely not viable when it comes to licensure.

There are some states, however, where the application clearly states to not include sealed or expunged records. Obviously, this would not change anything in Florida, and there are also things like prac sites and internship to consider, but not all states are like Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some states, however, where the application clearly states to not include sealed or expunged records. Obviously, this would not change anything in Florida, and there are also things like prac sites and internship to consider, but not all states are like Florida.

That honestly sounds like it would allow for me to have a more fair chance to improve upon my life and pursue this as a career choice. Do you know of any states that could be used as an example? I’ve been wanting to move out of Florida anyway haha.

I'm pretty sure Ohio. But licensing is not the only barrier. It is possible, but it will be more challenging. Some doctoral programs require background checks, some don't. Same with practicum sites. Same with internship. Although, I am fairly certain the APPI says you do not have to include expunged or sealed records

ETA: Just looked, APPI acts about convictions. You also may want to consult an attorney and see if your charge technically counts as a conviction.

Last edited: