Florida Medical Licensure & Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the USMLE Step 3 is no longer required for Medical Licensure in the state of Florida?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, though you still need to have the 2 years of residency...

Which is why if you try to take Step 3 now before residency, you cant use Florida as a sponser because it no longer requires it.

Uhh, I just got my Florida License and they needed all three steps, verified by the Federation of State Medical Boards. I'd check into this further...

Uhh, I just got my Florida License and they needed all three steps, verified by the Federation of State Medical Boards. I'd check into this further...

Resident at my institution just went to apply for the license and was shocked they didnt need it... I believe him cause he is not the first to tell me of this.. but he could have misunderstood it, so I will admit that much.

Yeah, I don't know about this. I just got my license and step 3 was needed. Florida no longer sponsors people for step 3 but you still have to have for your license.

How long did it take to get a florida license?

If already attending physician.

It took me 7 months and I will be graduating residency (i.e. no past records to check). One of my attendings waited 10 months...

Mine took two months. It's gotten better than in the past. They have one person assigned to the new applicants, so you have a contact person who is supposed to know what's going on. I got all my documents mailed to me and then mailed everything in one package to the board instead of sending bits and pieces to the board. There are residents in my program that took 6-10 months last year. The three of us that recently got ours took 2-3 months.