Florida/Minnesota/San Antonio Prostho residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denpros99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recent opinions on these residencies please?
Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any recent opinions on these residencies please?
Thanks in advance :)

Those are three completely different programs. What would you like to know about them?

From my perspective, San Antonio's strength is in its patient pool and excellent relationship with the other (very strong) departments. Consider San Antonio if you're interested in an extremely strong and well-respected background in classic clinical AND laboratory Prosthodontics.

Minnesota is a surgically heavy program that puts little emphasis on lab work. Depending on your definition of our specialty and what you want to get out of training, this could be considered a strength or a weakness.

I know little about Florida. It seems like a strong program with a well-respected staff of instructors.

I would suggest to avoid programs that set specific number of each procedures for graduation requirements.
It is not fun to keep worrying about requirements and try to sell treatment plan to all those big full mouth cases.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are three completely different programs. What would you like to know about them?

From my perspective, San Antonio's strength is in its patient pool and excellent relationship with the other (very strong) departments. Consider San Antonio if you're interested in an extremely strong and well-respected background in classic clinical AND laboratory Prosthodontics.

Minnesota is a surgically heavy program that puts little emphasis on lab work. Depending on your definition of our specialty and what you want to get out of training, this could be considered a strength or a weakness.

I know little about Florida. It seems like a strong program with a well-respected staff of instructors.

I am interested in a program that offers sufficient experience in lab work as well as conducting research. Also, some surgical experience, for the sake of being capable of treating easy implant cases on my own, would be ideal.
San Antonio sounds great. I've read that this program used to be equally targeted towards surgical and prosthodontic education. Has this changed?

I would suggest to avoid programs that set specific number of each procedures for graduation requirements.
It is not fun to keep worrying about requirements and try to sell treatment plan to all those big full mouth cases.

Are all three of the programs I mentioned like that?

San Antonio is not equally targeted to surgical and restorative prosthodontics. We very much have a bias towards restorative with some surgical experience. In addition to the 3-year Pros program we have a 5-year Perio-Pros program, however, where you graduate board-eligible in both specialties. Obviously this extended training gives you a strong background in both surgical and restorative dentistry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
San Antonio is not equally targeted to surgical and restorative prosthodontics. We very much have a bias towards restorative with some surgical experience. We have a 5-year Perio-Pros program, however, where you graduate board-eligible in both specialties. Obviously this extended training gives you a strong background in both surgical and restorative dentistry.

Thank you for your response.
What about research? Are there opportunities on that field? Is it attainable to combine working on research with your treatments and lab work? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for your response.
What about research? Are there opportunities on that field? Is it attainable to combine working on research with your treatments and lab work? Thanks in advance!

We have an optional masters degree. Some residents elect to pursue this while others don't. It's a considerable time commitment and you need to start early. But there are opportunities for research in a bunch of different fields. We have the Air Force Pros training program here in town who we collaborate with - we're working to develop further research opportunities between UT and the military as well.