Florida Rotations-have you rotated at...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familydo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to do some rotations in Florida, but could use some information about a few sites. I'm interested in Palmetto, Wellington, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, Broward general. I'm curious about learning opportunities/resident's willingness to teach, call schedules, and the facilities in general.

Thank you!! And if anyone needs help with Southern California sites I am more than willing to give my 2cents!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
being from NSUCOM..our students rotate at 4 of those sites you listed...

I havent started rotations yet so bear that in mind.

From what other students have told me, and from actually "touring" the hospitals (only toured broward and mt. sinai) I ended up choosing Mt. Sinai as my #1 (our school has a lotto system)...luckily i got it. Heres why i chose it:

Mt. sinai: Students are Q4 for IM..but you rarely stay overnight, usually on call nights you stay until 10 pm latest. They have tons of residency programs, and everyone seemed nice. The hospital is on the old side, but that doesnt bother me. Students i talked to were generally happy, but of course there are complaints. I think the main one is that it is entirely up to you if you want to do extra stuff. You can have the luxury of not doing much, or you can keep yourself really busy.

As for Palmetto, the population you will be serving is mostly spanish speaking, which is why i didnt consider it, even though the Program director, and all their representatives say that only a couple of their residents speak spanish while most of the students/residents are non-spanish speakers. The good thing about palmetto tho is that they FEED YOU...and no weekends or call...I actually have 2 months at palmetto, one for OBGYN and another for family Med. But im not dreading it..because this site was very popular amongst our class. You DO learn alot..and have alot of autonomy and freedom. Also the director of the new IM residency program Dr. Hasty is one of the faculty at our school, and he is probably the nicest doc i know. The residents here love to teach and are super nice too so that helps.

As for Broward i hear its pretty rough, Q4 i believe and you DO stay overnight. this was my #2 choice mainly because i heard you learn an incredible amount at the expense of sleep and sanity. Facilities are nice, it is a nice looking hospital, got free wifi. it also has a good amount of residency programs..but i dont think it can match mt. sinai. Also students here seemed TIRED, some actually said they didnt like it cuz it was "hell"..The residents there are ppl that love to pimp you and make you feel dumb. And ive heard of many girls go there and the docs have made them cried.. this place is not for the weak.

Columbia was actually really popular at our school and i think it was #3 on my list.. dono if these are the same hospitals..but our columbia track consists of the VA, JFK, and one other big one i cant remember at this time..dont really have much info on this except ppl are extremely friendly and students seem happy here. not sure about call schedule, but the facilities seemed nice

Again i dont start rotations until July 1st, so all my knowledge is from Hearsay, of students that have gone though it. Maybe i'll see you around

if u dono wat it means..its too early for you to worry about it :p

Q4 means your on call every 4th night.

Mikey,

Does NSU have sub-internships during 4th year?