Florida State University Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccer885

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was accepted to FSUCOM not to long ago and at the moment, it looks like I will be attending FSU. I am excited about starting medical school and started this tread to get to know some of my future class mates! So if you will be attending FSUCOM this summer please introduce yourself!

Members don't see this ad.

I am most likely attending FSUCOM and so is one of my friends. I was accepted back in October and I have completed the majority of the acceptance packet including all of the health forms. I am going to try and find a place to close to campus so that I can walk to class because parking is a pain in the butt! I am also a diehard Gator fan so you can imagine the heat I have taken from my friends.

Well I am glad to see someone else...

I guess I will tell you a little about myself. I am 21 and currently attend USF. I graduate this semester (kind of a given since I will be going to FSU in the summer). I am engaged to my boyfriend of 8 years and we are getting married June 30th. Timing isn't the greatest but the wedding was planned before I knew where I was going.

I am really excited about starting medical school and meeting you! Congratulations on getting in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was also accepted to FSU COM in October and I'm extremely excited about it (though the packet has been a pain in the butt). I've been at FSU all through undergrad, so it won't be a big change for me. Let me know if you need any help figuring out things like where to live, I'm more than happy to assist. BTW DoctorDan, congrats on the National Championship.

Did either one of you start with financial aid yet? We need to do FAFSA right?

Yeah, the fin aid woman said to 1) fill out the 07-08 fafsa as a grad student and 2) on the day you graduate, go into your 06-07 fafsa and change your status to grad student. Fin aid decisions come out in May.

BTW, is there any way we can delete the obnoxious post above? I guess people from UF can't read when it says that this is the FSU forum. FSU does not equal SUNY Downstate you poor poor gator

Yeah, the fin aid woman said to 1) fill out the 07-08 fafsa as a grad student and 2) on the day you graduate, go into your 06-07 fafsa and change your status to grad student. Fin aid decisions come out in May.

BTW, is there any way we can delete the obnoxious post above? I guess people from UF can't read when it says that this is the FSU forum. FSU does not equal SUNY Downstate you poor poor gator

Thanks! The day I interviewed, the fin aid person was not there so I didn't recieve any information. I have one more question about it though that you might be able to answer... I don't have an 06-07 fafsa, so do I just fill it out as a grad student then? I don't know if anyone can answer that, I will probably have to call and ask.

I don't know how we can delete a post. I think a mod can do it for us.

I think that it might be necessary to fill out the fafsa as an undergrad and then change it when you graduate. The reason we need to do the 06-07 fafsa is because we're going to start classes during the summer and that goes off of the last year's fafsa. It's also important because that's where they draw all of the information for determining scholarships from (as opposed to grants and loans). She said that it's important to have your parent's and/or your tax info on there since they have to have that to consider you for a scholarship.

http://med.fsu.edu/Directory/directoryentry.aspx?id=12427
There's the info for Ms. Harris, she's the financial aid supervisor.

Just out of curiosity, who were your interviewers?

Not a big deal about the above post, just wanted to point out how bad Gators tend to be... (EDIT: I did not mean to offend anyone with this comment, just having some fun)

Just out of curiosity, who were your interviewers?

I interviewed with Dr. Menachemi (great guy) and Dr. Gunjan. They were both extremely nice. My interviews were really relaxed and stress free. I felt like I was having conversations with them instead of being interrogated. It was a very positive experience.

Who did you interview with?

I interviewed with Dr. Alma Littles and a 4th year medical student named Robin. FSUCOM is my new home and im sure I will assimilate into FSU life hehe.

Hi! I'm currently a first year med student at FSU. Congratulations on your decision to attend FSU COM. If you need anything; advice on housing, books, etc... let me know.

I interviewed with Dr. Cavanagh (a retired general surgeon) and Dr. Lee (a psychiatrist). I really enjoyed talking to both of them. As you said, it was like a conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to all of you getting ready to start in May. I'm getting ready to graduate from FSU in May, and I've loved my time here. If you all have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. BTW, I think more than half of the c/o 2007 are Gators, so most of you will feel right at home.

Hello all,
I am also planning on making FSU my new home. I am wondering where is a nice place to live in Tallahassee. Also I was wondering if you remember when you all interviewed, just wondering if we interviewed together. oh by the way my name is Jeremy.

Hello all,
I am also planning on making FSU my new home. I am wondering where is a nice place to live in Tallahassee. Also I was wondering if you remember when you all interviewed, just wondering if we interviewed together. oh by the way my name is Jeremy.

I interviewed on Dec. 15th.

I am pretty sure i was there on Dec. 11th. Also I interviewed with Dr. Bland and Dr. Lee both of which were super nice. I am just wondering why all of you chose FSU instead of where ever else? Personally, I was really pleased with how personable everyone was. not just the admissions faculty but the professors, students, and even the starbucks staff! In my experiences at the other florida schools (florida being the worst) there was a really competitive feeling. I just dont see the need for all the extra stress of having to compete against everyone.

I interviewed on Sptember 29th.

I have no problems with UF, I just like FSU better since I went there for undergrad and much of what I have seen indicates that FSU is really building something strong while UF is resting on its laurels (not that it doesn't already have an extremely admirable program). It would be nice if FSU had a medical center but the regional campuses mean that our rotations will be in smaller groups and it seems that we'll be able to get more personal attention. I suppose that most of my class being Gators is just something I'm going to have to deal with MedNole, the majority of my high school friends are Gators as well. I'm looking forward to game days :). My name is Evan BTW.

If everyone doesn't mind my asking, what specialties are you considering? Personally I just want to be a surgeon, orthopaedic hopefully but I would be more than happy doing general or trauma.

Hey Jeremy, since you're going to the med school I would advise anywhere on Call Street or close to the intersection of Call St. and Stadium Dr. Parking can be a nightmare at times even with the new garage right there. Here are some ideas:

http://www.royalproperties.com/locations/floridastate/village_map.php
Villa Conradi is right there, but I can't seem to find a website for them
http://www.whitehallstudentapartments.com/Location.htm
http://www.boothliving.com/forest-hills/
http://www.psetter.com/PAGES/colony_features.html
http://www.campuswalk.com/

Barring that, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?near=44....450486,-84.306765&spn=0.007917,0.014591&om=1

There are no addresses for the med school buildings but that's pretty close.

Other than that, there are many many apartment complexes in Tallahassee. I'm sure the med students have some input on this topic.

Hey thanks for all the information i am going to try to get in to one of those properties.

I'm a first year at FSU right now and just wanted to let you guys know that the positive impression that you got from here remains once classes start. I really enjoy the lack of competitiveness that we have. A lot of people study in groups and really do try to help eachother out and the faculty really tries to foster this quality.
As for living, I have a house about 3 miles from campus. It is a really quiet, family neighborhood so I definitely love that. Be aware that living close to campus also exposes you to the risk of dealing with the noise and other things that come along with having undergrads around.
The garage near the med school was definitely a nightmare during fall, but since the new garage opened it has been a breeze for me. Making sure you know when the undergrad classes start also helps since people will be leaving and it's easier to find a parking spot. During fall there are several times that I drove around for a very long time, but I have yet to do that this semester. Just be aware that you will get spoiled over the summer because the parking is not a problem. Our class definitely got a rude awakening once fall started haha.
To end this, I am also a Gator alum and was curious how things would be here and it has been just fine. About 1/2 of our 103 person class are gators, so we still wear our gator stuff with no problem. :) We have generally friendly rivalries. Hope some of this helps!

The great thing about Tallahassee is that it's college town and you can live almost anywhere for cheap. I lived in a nicer place out towards the mall called Polos on Park. I think like 10 of us from FSUCOM ended up living out there which was nice. You can live just about anywhere and you'll be fine.

I'm a first year at FSU right now and just wanted to let you guys know that the positive impression that you got from here remains once classes start. I really enjoy the lack of competitiveness that we have. A lot of people study in groups and really do try to help eachother out and the faculty really tries to foster this quality.
As for living, I have a house about 3 miles from campus. It is a really quiet, family neighborhood so I definitely love that. Be aware that living close to campus also exposes you to the risk of dealing with the noise and other things that come along with having undergrads around.
The garage near the med school was definitely a nightmare during fall, but since the new garage opened it has been a breeze for me. Making sure you know when the undergrad classes start also helps since people will be leaving and it's easier to find a parking spot. During fall there are several times that I drove around for a very long time, but I have yet to do that this semester. Just be aware that you will get spoiled over the summer because the parking is not a problem. Our class definitely got a rude awakening once fall started haha.
To end this, I am also a Gator alum and was curious how things would be here and it has been just fine. About 1/2 of our 103 person class are gators, so we still wear our gator stuff with no problem. :) We have generally friendly rivalries. Hope some of this helps!

I am glad to hear that the comfort level remains once you finally get started. That was the main attraction for me. I am all about the group studying and non competitive learning. I plan on spending most of my time in the study labs. Im not too worried about parking because i am willing to live close to campus. Hopefully close enough to ride a bike or walk. Anyway, thanks for the input!

yay FSU COM c/o 2011!! woot woot!

I just made my decision today that I will be attending this summer

Just wanted to get on here and eventually learn a little more about where everyone will be living... and to meet my future classmates. look forward to hearing from all of you :oops:

Best of luck to all of you getting ready to start in May. I'm getting ready to graduate from FSU in May, and I've loved my time here. If you all have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. BTW, I think more than half of the c/o 2007 are Gators, so most of you will feel right at home.

For any of the current FSU medical students (especially 3rd/4th yrs):

Did you feel that the clinical rotations prepared you well?

I asked my interviewer about 3rd and 4th year and she said that students work primarily in small clinics (and that she felt this was better than a hospital setting). I assume that in orlando you would be able to use ORMC, but do all of the other locations (except maybe rural track) have rotations in hospital settings?

Also, is it possible to do anything in a hospital setting during years 1 and 2? She made it seem like this is not possible (and actually, discouraged!) Are there several opportunities to be involved with community based clinical events during the first two years?

Also, during year 4 if you were at a regional campus (say, sarasota) and wanted to do an elective at another campus (orlando) would this be possible?

For those who take the time to respond, thanks :love: ! Not having an opportunity to speak with students in clinical years during the interview left a lot of unanswered questions and concerns!

Hey AshPie and daisy! Welcome to the forum, though it has been a bit quiet as of late. Looking forward to meeting all of you come April 6th.

I'm apparently a big fan of the double post...

but anyways since it's 2 am and i have a test in less than eight hours I figured that I should procrastinate somehow. To that end I created a group for us on Facebook, it is aptly titled "Florida State University College of Medicine Class of 2011." Everyone should be able to see it. I hope that some of you will join.

Have a good one!

For any of the current FSU medical students (especially 3rd/4th yrs):

Did you feel that the clinical rotations prepared you well?

I asked my interviewer about 3rd and 4th year and she said that students work primarily in small clinics (and that she felt this was better than a hospital setting). I assume that in orlando you would be able to use ORMC, but do all of the other locations (except maybe rural track) have rotations in hospital settings?

Also, is it possible to do anything in a hospital setting during years 1 and 2? She made it seem like this is not possible (and actually, discouraged!) Are there several opportunities to be involved with community based clinical events during the first two years?

Also, during year 4 if you were at a regional campus (say, sarasota) and wanted to do an elective at another campus (orlando) would this be possible?

For those who take the time to respond, thanks :love: ! Not having an opportunity to speak with students in clinical years during the interview left a lot of unanswered questions and concerns!

I actually interviewed with a 4th year med student and he mentioned that there is a preceptorship in the first two years where you gain experience locally. However, I am really not sure what that entails. I also recall him saying that you have plenty of freedom in the 4th year to
pick electives in different areas. I am not 100 % on the details though. On another note, The early orientation is coming up fast
and I look foward to meeting you all. I will definitely be checking out places to live too.

I actually interviewed with a 4th year med student and he mentioned that there is a preceptorship in the first two years where you gain experience locally. However, I am really not sure what that entails. I also recall him saying that you have plenty of freedom in the 4th year to
pick electives in different areas. I am not 100 % on the details though. On another note, The early orientation is coming up fast
and I look foward to meeting you all. I will definitely be checking out places to live too.

Yeah, I know they do the preceptorship but I believe I read somewhere that it is small family med type of stuff...and 4th year you have to take 4 primary care rotations (looks like they shove family med and geriatrics down your throat).

I will be looking for housing on orientation day as well...some students I have talked to said to look north of the school (Killearn?) and avoid frenchtown like the plague.

We definitely spend time in hospitals during 3rd and 4th year. (It's pretty much impossible to do a surgical or medicine clerkship without a hospital). A lot of us wish that we spent more time in hospitals, but our curriculum is shifted more towards an outpatient model. We spent at least part of the time inpatient during our surgery, medicine, psych, peds, and ob/gyn rotations during 3rd year. The only exclusively outpatient rotation is family medicine. (This is true at my regional campus, and I'm almost certain it's true at all the other campuses as well). The preceptor experience during your first two years is usually 1 afternoon a week shadowing a primary care doc (it could be family, peds, or IM). It's pretty much preceptor dependent as to what you can do and what you learn, but most people think it's a good experience and kind of sets our school apart a bit.

We definitely spend time in hospitals during 3rd and 4th year. (It's pretty much impossible to do a surgical or medicine clerkship without a hospital). A lot of us wish that we spent more time in hospitals, but our curriculum is shifted more towards an outpatient model. We spent at least part of the time inpatient during our surgery, medicine, psych, peds, and ob/gyn rotations during 3rd year. The only exclusively outpatient rotation is family medicine. (This is true at my regional campus, and I'm almost certain it's true at all the other campuses as well). The preceptor experience during your first two years is usually 1 afternoon a week shadowing a primary care doc (it could be family, peds, or IM). It's pretty much preceptor dependent as to what you can do and what you learn, but most people think it's a good experience and kind of sets our school apart a bit.

Thanks! I was thinking that surgery would obviously need to be in a hospital setting, and it is nice to hear that all with the exception of family medicine have some kind of inpatient time.

Also, the school seems to stress attendance...do they provide video streaming of lectures? Are lecture notes provided? Do classes generally set up a note taking service? Is class attendance at large lectures regulated? Obviously attendance would be required for small group/lab/clinical things..but I really dont learn much in lecture, and believe it may become a time waster.

Hey guys! I just got my acceptance today, and will be at FSU in the summer. I'm a current FSU undergrad, so if you all are coming up for some weekends, PM me and I can take you around Tally. Great to get to meet some of my future classmates!

Hey guys! I just got my acceptance today, and will be at FSU in the summer. I'm a current FSU undergrad, so if you all are coming up for some weekends, PM me and I can take you around Tally. Great to get to meet some of my future classmates!

I might be up there next week. If I am, we should get together. I have only been to Tally one other time (and that was for the interview :laugh: ). Congratulations!

Thanks! I was thinking that surgery would obviously need to be in a hospital setting, and it is nice to hear that all with the exception of family medicine have some kind of inpatient time.

Also, the school seems to stress attendance...do they provide video streaming of lectures? Are lecture notes provided? Do classes generally set up a note taking service? Is class attendance at large lectures regulated? Obviously attendance would be required for small group/lab/clinical things..but I really dont learn much in lecture, and believe it may become a time waster.

Yes, attendance is definitely stressed. They do not have video streaming of lectures because they expect our attendance. Lecture notes are provided in the form of powerpoints that are posted for each lecture. They have a lot of the material, but a lot of it comes from notes taken during lecture. We are required to bring the laptops that we get to class, but our class and probably yours too will have tablets which allows you to write on the screen or type notes, whatever works best for you. Our class seems to like the setup. From what I know there is not a note taking service in the classes because of the required attendance, although some classmates do make outlines and such especially before exams and send them out to the class. It isn't a setup thing, just something people do to help eachother out, which is one of the nice things about not being graded on a curve and not being as competitive with eachother. Attendance at Doctoring lectures is pretty highly regulated, we have to sign in and the sheet is removed I think 15 min into lecture. We do not have to sign in the other lectures, but they will randomly call on people in class because they have a list with our names and pictures on it. Also, some questions can be answered by sending responses from your computer to the lecturers' computer and they are working on linking the responses to your name, so that is another way to track it. Basically...you go to class and that's it. If you miss you email and tell why. Also, if you know you are going to be absent for a reason, you can request an absence that has to be approved by the directors of the classes you will be missing as well as student affairs to make sure you are in good enough academic standing to miss. This all is unorthodox compared to other schools but it seems to work well. You will get used to it.

Yes, attendance is definitely stressed. They do not have video streaming of lectures because they expect our attendance. Lecture notes are provided in the form of powerpoints that are posted for each lecture. They have a lot of the material, but a lot of it comes from notes taken during lecture. We are required to bring the laptops that we get to class, but our class and probably yours too will have tablets which allows you to write on the screen or type notes, whatever works best for you. Our class seems to like the setup.

Definately difficult to hear, but you have been very helpful, thanks :)

Anyone know when they are done with the interview selections?
Do they call or email for interview invite?

Anyone know when they are done with the interview selections?
Do they call or email for interview invite?

Dont know when they are done, but they definately call for the invite :luck: if you're waiting for a call :luck:

Is it true the seat-withdraw deadline for FSU is April 15th?? I must've zoned out when they discussed this during the interview (since I, apparently -- and unfortunately --, have a really bad habit of zoning out during really important announcements :-\ ). I assumed it was May 15th like the rest of the schools but recently found out from someone it isn't and that it is actually April 15th ... but I couldn't find this stated on any of my materials given during the interview nor on the acceptance/status website..

Is it true the seat-withdraw deadline for FSU is April 15th??/QUOTE]

Even if it is, whats going to stop you from withdrawing after that date? AAMC policy states May 15th...and even then, you can withdraw after that point if you have another offer. You cant be locked into a school until you have attended either 1st day lecture or 1st day of orientation that is attached to classes starting. I'll drop it mine if I get a certain phone call that Im waiting for...even if its a week before classes start.

I'd call to check on this. It shouldn't matter if you're planning on withdrawing from FSU for another school, but I think (THINK) that FSU gives an April 15th deadline for holding two acceptances, since it's an early start school. They said to our group that they've actually rescinded acceptances from people that held more than one after their date, even though it was before May 15th, which, I guess would make your decision a lot easier for you.
But, I'm not a lucky duck holding on to five acceptances or anything (I got the only one I want), so I may well have zoned out on this part too.:p

Hey everyone, has anyone received anything in the mail (post not e-mail) about the upcoming early orientation? I know we're supposed to get fingerprint cards this month, I just don't know when. Hope everyone is having a great semester/last glimpse of freedom :).

Hey People!

I'm a South Floridian who interviewed kinda late (had already interviewed at other schools like UVM and Pitt). Currently, I am out of the country studying/traveling, in South America. I interviewed just under 2 weeks ago, and I was emailed shortly thereafter to inform me that the AdCom had a scheduling boo boo :p , but that they'd meet the following week (i.e., last week for me).

So, that said, I should hear the day after tomorrow. (FINGERS CROSSED) :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!

So my Q = I was wondering if someone could tell me how stuff works post-interview? :thumbup: If it's good news :hardy: , do you hear back by phone or by email, or both? And if its waitlist/denied :)confused: ) ...

THANKS!
- Algo.

Hey People!

I'm a South Floridian who interviewed kinda late (had already interviewed at other schools like UVM and Pitt). Currently, I am out of the country studying/traveling, in South America. I interviewed just under 2 weeks ago, and I was emailed shortly thereafter to inform me that the AdCom had a scheduling boo boo :p , but that they'd meet the following week (i.e., last week for me).

So, that said, I should hear the day after tomorrow. (FINGERS CROSSED) :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!

So my Q = I was wondering if someone could tell me how stuff works post-interview? :thumbup: If it's good news :hardy: , do you hear back by phone or by email, or both? And if its waitlist/denied :)confused: ) ...

THANKS!
- Algo.

If you're accepted you'll hear first by phone and then receive an email shortly thereafter... I believe you'll just get the email (sans phone call) if you get waitlisted/denied. Good luck and I hope you get a phone call!!! :luck:

Hey, thanks for the info!

The only thing is that there would be no direct phone call for me since I'm out of the country, IF IM SO LUCKY!!! But FSU CoM knows that (as do all other schools), and I've given them all a signed paper yielding my parents 'Power of Attorney'. :cool:

THANKIE! :thumbup: & Say a Zephyrhills fresh Prayer :luck:

I will be one of you alls future classmates. FSU COM c/o 2011!!!

I'm Jack btw. 22 y/o biochemistry major from FSU (graduate in two days!).

Hi Jack! Congrats. I always wonder if I know anyone from FSU, but I don't think I know any biochem majors named Jack. Guess we'll meet at orientation.
I'm actually excited about graduation too, except that my hat (mortarboard?) is like 3 sizes too small.
BTW, did you have Logan for BCH 4054?

Congrats again!:D

Does anyone know if we're supposed to send in our fingerprint cards or turn them in during orientation? I thought she said to give them to her at orientation, but I'm having trouble accessing the website to make sure.

You give them to her at orientation.