Florida: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently a Florida resident. My top choices are: UCF, USF, FSU, FAU, and FIU

*Graduated from Florida school with Bachelors in Biology with Honors, certificate in Healthcare Technology

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 510

*Low GPA due to not knowing what career path I wanted and switching into engineering classes my sophomore-beginning of junior year which destroyed my GPA*

Research: >1000 hours with undergraduate thesis in microbiology lab, presented in two conferences

Medical Experience: Certified medical assistant, interned in primary care clinic. Volunteered as a patient companion for surgical units, visiting patients and families through the day. (>200 hours)

Extracurriculars: (1) Involved in marching band/pep band for 4 years, (2) leadership officer in service club, (3) volunteered at homeless shelters and (4) team captain for Relay for Life for 2 years. (> 800 hours of service).

Teaching Experience: lead FIG class for 2 years

Employment: Worked on campus as an office assistant for 2.5 years

I am a first-generation applicant as well. With my current profile, do I even stand a chance? I can't afford a SMP and am working to pay for post-bacc classes when I can. Would the schools listed screen me out?

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at some of your Florida schools so apply to all of them (except Miami) and include NOVA MD. You should also apply broadly to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. 50 hours of physician shadowing including primary care would help your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
FL apps are only $30 for secondary's so definitely better to shoot for it and go all-in.
I can tell you that UF has huge GPA/MCAT.
USF has an avg MCAT at like 516.

Your best shots are going to be Nova-MD, FIU, FSU and FAU.
Apply early to Nova-MD I was complete around 9/3 and they haven't even reviewed my app while the DO has already II and accepted me.