Flunked chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm a first year student at university of toronto.

I just finished my first half course for chemistry and I think I failed and if not, I got a pretty bad mark on it. I'm doing pretty well, as in 90s, for all my other courses such as biology, calculus... I have a second chemistry course coming this January, but it is a different chemistry course. It doesn't continue from the one I just finished.

I think I started chemistry on the wrong footing this year. If I failed a course first year, I heard some medical schools don't consider you at all.

Can anyone let me in on the details of this. And it's okay to be blunt and honest, I just want to know the truth.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my first half course for chemistry and I think I failed and if not, I got a pretty bad mark on it. I'm doing pretty well, as in 90s, for all my other courses such as biology, calculus... I have a second chemistry course coming this January, but it is a different chemistry course. It doesn't continue from the one I just finished.

I think I started chemistry on the wrong footing this year. If I failed a course first year, I heard some medical schools don't consider you at all.

Can anyone let me in on the details of this. And it's okay to be blunt and honest, I just want to know the truth.

If you retake and do well, you should be okay as long as you don't do this routinely.

There's a reason they don't accept people who fail general chemistry: it's easy as hell.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a reason they don't accept people who fail general chemistry: it's easy as hell.

Maybe at some schools (?) but definitely not at U of T.

To the OP: I would say to retake it if you failed, do well and they will take the average of those two marks and then regardless of a pass or fail, just demonstrate your chem capabilities in upper year chem courses (orgo, biochem etc.)

Retake.

But, before you do get a concrete understanding of why you failed. A lot of the study and application skills necessary for success in early Chem will be needed through out the next for years. Be aware of the faults and address them directly. Most likely, this is something you can correct and use to your advantage.

GOOD LUCK!!!

You should definitely retake the class if you do end up failing it (assuming C- or below).

Some people have a difficult time in the first semester of chemistry, it doesn't come easily to everyone. I'm not saying it to make you feel better, it is true. The first semester covers a broad range of topics and you have to understand and be competent with all of them in order to succeed.

That said, you're going to have to do much better next time around. I would do all the practice problems you can get your hands on. Math based sciences especially require diligent practice in applying the concepts and equations. There are many good free review websites for general chemistry, and take advantage of them as well as office hours. Also I would consider getting a tutor if its possible and you think it may help.