1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Fluphenazine vs Haloperidol Injections

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Captopril, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Captopril

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sorry to flood the front page, but like I mentioned in my other thread, I am 48h from my test so wanted to clear a few things up. I had a question about long-acting schizophrenia medications.

In UW, they ask what to give a non-compliant schizo patient, and the answer was Fluphenazine Dacanoate injection. I was under the impression that the Fluphenazine was the long-acting part of the drug. However, I realize I might be wrong about that.

Is basically any -Dacanoate medication considered a long-acting drug? For instance, can you give Haloperidol Dacanoate as a long-acting injection in a non compliant patient? Or was I right in the first place (i.e. would Fluphenazine HCL and Fluphenazine Dacanoate both be used as long-acting meds?)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    "Decanoate" describes a long-acting IM formulation of either haloperidol or fluphenazine. Typically these are Q30 day shots administered by a health professional. They are often abbreviated to just "D", aka Haldol-D.

If the formulation says "HCl" or similar after it, it's most likely an oral (shorter-acting) formulation. There are also shorter-acting IM injections of each as well.

In the case of a person with a psychotic disorder who has a long history of poor compliance, the decanoate formulations are preferred. If it was a first psychotic episode, it would be unlikely to use the D form since you have no idea how the patient will react to it and you would not want to risk some of the major adverse effects.

4. Captopril

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks pengouin! That clears it up for me, and good point about the trial run with short-acting agents for first dose. Hopefully I'll remember that come test day.