1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Fluphenazine vs Haloperidol Injections

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Captopril, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Captopril

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sorry to flood the front page, but like I mentioned in my other thread, I am 48h from my test so wanted to clear a few things up. I had a question about long-acting schizophrenia medications.

In UW, they ask what to give a non-compliant schizo patient, and the answer was Fluphenazine Dacanoate injection. I was under the impression that the Fluphenazine was the long-acting part of the drug. However, I realize I might be wrong about that.

Is basically any -Dacanoate medication considered a long-acting drug? For instance, can you give Haloperidol Dacanoate as a long-acting injection in a non compliant patient? Or was I right in the first place (i.e. would Fluphenazine HCL and Fluphenazine Dacanoate both be used as long-acting meds?)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    "Decanoate" describes a long-acting IM formulation of either haloperidol or fluphenazine. Typically these are Q30 day shots administered by a health professional. They are often abbreviated to just "D", aka Haldol-D.

If the formulation says "HCl" or similar after it, it's most likely an oral (shorter-acting) formulation. There are also shorter-acting IM injections of each as well.

In the case of a person with a psychotic disorder who has a long history of poor compliance, the decanoate formulations are preferred. If it was a first psychotic episode, it would be unlikely to use the D form since you have no idea how the patient will react to it and you would not want to risk some of the major adverse effects.

4. Captopril

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks pengouin! That clears it up for me, and good point about the trial run with short-acting agents for first dose. Hopefully I'll remember that come test day.