Flushing during an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lactic Folly

Inedible Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading the "Sweating during an interview" thread inspired me to post this.

I have a naturally rosy complexion that is exacerbated with exercise, cold, heat, excitement - many things really. It doesn't bother me usually but it might not look too good for interviews (perceived as sign of discomfort :oops:).

Anyone else have this, and/or planning to do something about it? I am seriously considering getting some red concealer makeup.. feels kinda fake, but I figure it's just another part of the whole interview look..

Members don't see this ad.

are u a guy or girl?

i'm planning on wearing powder on my face
even though people say don't wear too much makeup

girl. I don't use makeup normally though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do the same thing, Lactic, and I don't think it should be a big deal. I tend to think I must look like a beet but people just say I looked well, flushed.

I think we're allowed to be nervous and that's just part of it. I know when I try and cover something up - like heavy sweating, then I just become sort of mental about it and it gets worse. I figure I am going to just be myself come what may.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was another gag thread, about having interviews in the bathroom or something.

Originally posted by umass rower
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was another gag thread, about having interviews in the bathroom or something.

True Dat. That's exactly what I was thinking. As for the OP problem I can't help you much-I'm a funky German-Irish-Native mix and am pretty dark year round. Maybe try diuretic or nitroglycerin or donate a couple pints of blood to lower your blood pressure enough that you don't flush. J/K. ;) Peace.

i have this problem in a major way. my face gets really really red when i'm even just a teeny bit nervous. drives me nuts. i wouldn't worry too much about covering it up, though. i mean, interviewers understand that most of us are at least a little nervous when we interview... and if you get red, you get red. that's how your body is. it's not a HUGE deal... don't let it be another thing to make you nervous!!! just let your face do what it will, and don't worry about it. (i made it thru many many red-faced interviews last year, and it wasn't that bad.)

Originally posted by umass rower

Ditto. And let me tell you a story...

Several years ago, I was on an interview panel to hire staff. One of the applicants was a friend of someone high up in our administration, and she lived all the way across the country. So, for the first round of interviews, to save her travel costs (and ingratiate ourselves with the administrator), we offered the first interview via telephone, with the understanding that she would have to travel to us for further consideration.

Well, during the interview, we could hear "water" running at her end. The other two interviews starting giggling, saying that it sounded like she was peeing. I kept trying to get them to shut up! (Thank God we could not be seen!) We even put our speakerphone on MUTE to be sure we could not be heard.

Then, I was glad that the applicant could not be seen, because 10 seconds later, we heard the toilet flush. The b!tch has taken an obvious pi$$ during our interview! WTF???

She did not proceed to the second round of interviews!

Originally posted by redleft123
Ditto. And let me tell you a story...

Several years ago, I was on an interview panel to hire staff. One of the applicants was a friend of someone high up in our administration, and she lived all the way across the country. So, for the first round of interviews, to save her travel costs (and ingratiate ourselves with the administrator), we offered the first interview via telephone, with the understanding that she would have to travel to us for further consideration.

Well, during the interview, we could hear "water" running at her end. The other two interviews starting giggling, saying that it sounded like she was peeing. I kept trying to get them to shut up! (Thank God we could not be seen!) We even put our speakerphone on MUTE to be sure we could not be heard.

Then, I was glad that the applicant could not be seen, because 10 seconds later, we heard the toilet flush. The b!tch has taken an obvious pi$$ during our interview! WTF???

She did not proceed to the second round of interviews!

:laugh: