Flying out the morning of interview day = bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

informatique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at flights for my Boston interview. There is one that leaves my hometown at 6:45 AM and arrives at Logan airport at 8:15 AM. The interview starts at 9:30 AM. I checked on mapquest and the aiport is only 11 miles away from the school. I figure if the flight is on time, I can hop on a cab and get to the school by 9-9:10ish given that there are no flight delays.

Do you think this is a bad idea?

Is it possible to fly out the night before and lounge around the airport all night instead of staying at a hotel?

Members don't see this ad.

given that there are no flight delays.

You more than likely would have no problems at all. That being said is it really worth the risk? Showing up late is a big no-no and in my experience flights are rarely right on time. I don't know about where the airport is in Boston but 8:30-9:00am usually equals rush hour as well. 11 miles can feel like an eternity if you are running behind.

Congrats on the interview.

i would not do this if i were you...if there are delays, you could possibly be late to the interview, and a bad first impression may be the difference between getting accepted or rejected to the school. in addition, flying can be a stressful experience at times, with the airport staff, lost bags, etc. etc. and you don't want any added stress on your interview day. 'better safe than sorry'...fly in the day before, wake up well rested on the day of your interview, and claim your spot in the Dental School.

best of luck...

-waystinthyme

Members don't see this ad :)
i flew in my arizona interview day of because my flight the day before got delayed.. i ended up waking up at 3am and had a wrinkled shirt but saved on hotel and got a 100$ refund! cha-chingg

I'm looking at flights for my Boston interview. There is one that leaves my hometown at 6:45 AM and arrives at Logan airport at 8:15 AM. The interview starts at 9:30 AM. I checked on mapquest and the aiport is only 11 miles away from the school. I figure if the flight is on time, I can hop on a cab and get to the school by 9-9:10ish given that there are no flight delays.

Is it possible to fly out the night before and lounge around the airport all night instead of staying at a hotel?

The first idea is the worst [I hope you were just joking].
The second idea is fine, if you are that much tight on money.

Donate some plasma, get a hotel. You'll feel better being freshly showered with a good nights worth of sleep. There's NO reason to skimp before an interview. Nevertheless, congrats on the invite!

that might be cutting it close, but who knows, your flight could also be 20 min. early instead of late. i'm flying to nova the day of, saving ~$150 on flight/hotel because of that.
i don't need a hotel, i can feel refreshed by just sleeping earlier, maybe some coffee. good luck in boston.

I just flew to NY for an interview last week, and I got delayed both on the way up and on the way back. So... you want to have some cushion just in case. Just go the day before and give yourself peace of mind.

Your plane might land at 645 but will taxi to the gate for 10 minutes. You'll have to navigate out of the terminal. Find a taxi, and compete with hundreds of other cars trying to make it to downtown to get to work. You plan on getting dressed in the taxi? This interview may determine the course of the rest of your life. Why make things so hectic in the morning? Get plenty of rest and prepare yourself. Everyone else in your interview group will be.

Don't fly in that morning. Boston traffic is terrible. Take the time mapquest gives you and multiply by 3 for a better estimate of how long it will take you to get to the school.

Donate some plasma, get a hotel. You'll feel better being freshly showered with a good nights worth of sleep. There's NO reason to skimp before an interview. Nevertheless, congrats on the invite!

I think you mean sell, haha! But it is possible to lounge around the airport. Just hop over to the international side of Logan and you'll see a few stranded fliers, people waiting for layovers, etc.

I don't think it is a good idea! There is always a chance that the flight has a delay and you don't want to mess up your chances because of flight delay! You also need to consider the traffic! Boston is a large city and I am sure traffic is heavy in the morning.

I agree with the other posts don't fly out the morning of. But lounging around in the airport? You'll totally be tired and won't have access to a shower. I'm sure you can find a cheap hotel. Generally around the dental schools hotels will give you a discount if you tell them you are interviewing at the school. Good luck!

Plenty of people did this for the UMD interview which started at 11:30am. A few people came with small carry-on luggage which they left in the conference room before taking a tour of the school and going on to individual interviews. It seemed reasonable to me.

Whatever you do, don't be late! Bad impression! There were two people that showed up late to my last interview. I was shocked. How could you let yourself be late....?? And one was REALLY late, like 20 min. I wonder if it really effects your application that bad... The dean seemed nice when the ppl walked in late.

i would say flying out the day before would be better... by far...
i mean we've already spent so much money in this process, the money that goes into spending a night at the hotel seems like a good investment if it means getting better sleep, having a place to wash up, and being there on time for the interview...
you've made it this far, you don't wanna risk it just to save a few bucks now..

I am pondering the same thing for Colorado...
But I think I will fly in the day before, its to risky

the earliest flight gets in at 10:20 and google says the school is 20 mins from the airport but yarrrrrrrr its a hard choice.

The best thing would probably be play it safe. which I probably will.

This is what you do to get the cheap flight out the next morning....grab the 3am or 5am on standby. Takes off like $100 or so. Newark provided me with excellent chairs to lounge on for my 8+ hours of airport living. Most airports have those stupid bars preventing airport lounging. Speaking of bars, I entertained myself into a nap induced by a couple of beers at another airport. You must pursue all options! But you at least give yourself time the night of the interview to explore the city or hang with students.

BUT you will end up buying expensive airport food and something to entertain yourself so add that in...

Good luck. It gets expensive fast and you'll get burned out with it all. Build yourself plenty of time to get places. I arrived at 3am one morning of an interview and I was not my normal self. Definetly didn't bring the A-game.

If it means that much to you, you won't do anything that could potentially hurt your chances. What if that is the only school that would accept you in the long run?
Anyhow, if it means so much to you, you will make sure there is no risk like the one you were thinking of doing...