Flying to LECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HKDO08

Ivan the Terrible
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at flights to LECOM....seems quite expensive and difficult for me from California! I either get a lower price but the times are really difficult to coordinate with the interview. Eeek! I've looked at landing in Cleveland and it looks like quite a drive with a rental car. I was thinking of calling Philadelphia and UMDNJ since I'm over there, but looking at the multiple-leg trips for flying...it looks pretty bad too. Any thoughts? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Lari29
I was looking at flights to LECOM....seems quite expensive and difficult for me from California! I either get a lower price but the times are really difficult to coordinate with the interview. Eeek! I've looked at landing in Cleveland and it looks like quite a drive with a rental car. I was thinking of calling Philadelphia and UMDNJ since I'm over there, but looking at the multiple-leg trips for flying...it looks pretty bad too. Any thoughts? :(

When you say expensive, what are we talking about - $300, $400?

What online travel sites did you try?

- Tae

Fly into Pittsburgh and rent a car?

Or fly into a nearby major city (to save on airfare) and take Greyhound OR amtrak (if there is an amtrak station/stop in Erie)

Have you tried economic carriers to fly into major airports (like NYC) and renting/train/bus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cleveland Hopkins airport is only 90 minutes from Erie and Buffalo is about 100 miles...Pittsburg isn't that far either...

We were advised NOT to fly into the Erie airport because it would be so expensive

Cost is a big concern for me and I noticed that flying into Cleveland was cheaper. Rent a car then drive the 90 minutes to Erie. I think I am fortunate that I can drive to Nashville (3 hours) and get southwest airlines that has cheap flights to most of the nation.

I flew from california to interview at LECOM, and I decided to fly into Cleveland to save money. It was a really easy drive and the rental car was cheap. I would definitely suggest doing that over flying into Erie unless you are loaded. If you don't want to drive yourself, I noticed that they have a shuttle bus that goes fromn Erie to Cleveland as well. Good luck at your interview!

What would you recommend for those not old enough to rent a car??

If you aren't 25 yet, some companies will still rent to you if you're over 21. But it costs more because there is an additional insurance rider involved.

May be worth checking into if you want to explore that option. It may be so much more expensive that it isn't feasible...I don't know.

Or...see if you can find a friend who's always wanted to see Cleveland and happens to be over 25!

Unfortunately, I do not have that problem with inability to rent a car.....*sigh*

Will~

I rented a car and I was 23. You're condsidered "old enough" to rent, but they make you pay more in insurance. Still cheaper than a direct flight to Erie though!

Thanks for the help! I'm 21 and have tried to rent a car before... After I was told that the car would be $25/day + $350 in extra "underage" insurance - I decided to fly to Disneyland... Oh well. I'll more than likely take someone over 25 with me -- great thinking!! :hardy:

I did the Cleveland to Erie drive as well..and it was fine...and actually not a bad drive at all..as long as it isn't winter and there is NO SNOW!!!

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. It looks like the best way to go is to land in Cleveland and rent a car. I'm just worried about the weather. I plan on having my interview in early November (can't squeeze it in this October). How's the weather like in November usually? Is it snowing by then? I'm concerned about driving on ice/snow with a rental car. :eek:

Lari

November.....Erie.....lake effect snow......32 inches a year.....Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Erie winters can be hit or miss....Thanksgiving 2000 we had like 2-3 ft overnight....then by dec 1 it was all gone...that winter was the snowiest on record for the city.
Feb 2002 we had a week with the temps in the 60s and 70s. the rest of the winter was very mild.
This past winter....cold!! And snowy. Many days in the single digits....with the 3rd most snowfall on record.
As far as early Nov goes??? Id say you should be ok. If you do get the snow....in a day it should be gone. The snow usually doesnt hang out for too long. There usually is never more than a foot on the ground, but the annual snowfall could be 120-140 inches.
stomper

Originally posted by Robz
November.....Erie.....lake effect snow......32 inches a year.....Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

As stomper said, 32 inches isn't even CLOSE to what Erie gets in a winter!! :) Try adding on a hundred more inches :p

But you should be fine for November. The inch or two of snow a day doesn't usually start until January.

Originally posted by Forensic Chick
Thanks for the help! I'm 21 and have tried to rent a car before... After I was told that the car would be $25/day + $350 in extra "underage" insurance - I decided to fly to Disneyland... Oh well. I'll more than likely take someone over 25 with me -- great thinking!! :hardy:

I'm renting a car. I'm 24. and I'm paying an extra $10/day since I"m not yet 25. Big deal.

actually if you go to priceline, you don't have to pay any insurance. Just go to priceline.com and get a rental car from there...if you bid $20-25 dollars, you almost certainly get it. My classmate last year bid $18, got a full size car, was only 22 by the way, and drove up to Erie. If you get in before or after rush hour, it takes 1 hour 45 minutes. But when you get on the highway, that's the one that basically takes you all the way to erie so its a pretty simple drive. LECOM is a really good school because its one of the newest and fastest growing. We had the 4th largest incoming class in the country, and next year they're expanding into Florida, so technically LECOM will be the largest medical school in the country, MD and DO included. Also LECOM just got clearance by buying I think a 20-30 thousand dollar insurance for us and now for rotations, we're able to go to India, Austrilia, Germany, Ireland, South African countries, and other countries. Almost all food and board for paid for...some places will make you pay like 50 bucks for 6 weeks of room and board. Its insane! So great for us. Well good luck getting here and good luck on your interview. And have fun in your last year before medical school...everything that you do, you will laugh at next year because all schooling before med school is a complete joke. I just got a masters in human genetics last year, which I thought was challenging, but now I look back and just laugh at that work which I thought was hard. So have a good time this year...go out all the time, make sure you still get good grades, but don't stress over it because med school will give you more stress than you can ever imagine. Its very fun and challenging and completely worth it if you really want to be a doctor.