Flying with a suit on American Airlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appleonius

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The threads I found relevant to this subject are outdated (2004). With the new policies, has anyone flown with a carry on & used a garment bag for a suit? I've read on other forums where this is ok but when I called AA, the CSR said the garment bag counts as a carry on & not as a personal item. What's the word from fellow pre-dents?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of garmet bag do u have? The "larger" suitcase type or just the vinyl "sleeve" you get from department stores?

I flew southwest airlines with a vinyl suit garmet bag as a personal item. They even have a small closet where you can ask flight attendants to hang it up for you.

Couple years ago when I was interviewing I brought my suit/garmant bag combo on southwest, and they told me
I wouldn't be able to carry on both OR check one of the bags (I can't remember why).

Luckily it all worked out, I just took my suit out of the bag right there and put it on over my clothes and wore it all the way to New York.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what the AA's policy is, but both Delta and Virgin count a garment bag as a carry-on.

I was able to check into NWA with my garment bag and backpack. Best off calling...

The threads I found relevant to this subject are outdated (2004). With the new policies, has anyone flown with a carry on & used a garment bag for a suit? I've read on other forums where this is ok but when I called AA, the CSR said the garment bag counts as a carry on & not as a personal item. What's the word from fellow pre-dents?

i have flown AA a couple times and i had a large carryon, (i didnt check anything) a purse, and my garment bag, i have had about 4 flights with them and no one has said anything to me. I figured if i didnt ask about it no one would even notice, and they didnt :)
I dont think that should be a major worry for you. If they do say something just say it is counting as your purse or seomthing (im assuming you are a guy)

Same as the guy above me. Flew AA last week, brought large duffel bag and garment bag also. I think they treat garment bags like large coats people otherwise wear, because there's a closet where dozens of passengers were hanging their coats, suits, etc. You'll be fine.

Sweet! thanks for all the help/replies! just to clarify, it's more like this garment bag but made of a heavier cloth-like material large enough for 1-2 suits.
I guess I'll take the risk!

I flew A.A back in Oct to my interviews......I had a carry-on and used a garment bag for my suit....Actually, if u ask them, they will let you put your suit in the forward compartment right when u step on the plane (it's like a closet where there is room for about 6-7 suit-bags easy....There's one on BOTH sides)

On my return flight, there wasn't room 4 mine b/c it was full (since I ride economy & was 1 of the last people on the plane).........No biggie....I just asked the flight attendant if I could place my suit in the 1st class hanger space....**Room for about 15 suit-bags easily**....First she was like, "umm, it's only for 1st class passengers"----then I said, "well, it's not like they are utilizing this space, it's just a freakin suit!!".......

Maybe b/c I'm black & looked "pissed" (b/c I had just paid $7.00 for a REGULAR/crappy hotdog :eek:)---but she got embarrassed, & in an attempt to not make a scene, she let me hang my bag there..:laugh:

Can I ask why you would want to carry it with you during the flight? I think it would be more pragmatic and safe to just put it in your luggage (and change at the airport if you have to). I had to use a pretty big luggage to my suit doesn't get folded but it worked well.

Can I ask why you would want to carry it with you during the flight? I think it would be more pragmatic and safe to just put it in your luggage (and change at the airport if you have to). I had to use a pretty big luggage to my suit doesn't get folded but it worked well.

Usually when u fly to interviews, it's for the next day..(early morning or so)....Personally, I didn't want to wrinkle my suit after I just had it dry cleaned by putting it in luggage...Besides, u run the risk of the airline "misplacing" it..(which would suck, come interview time)....This is mainly why I try and keep everything important close by me.....

Hanging it a garment bag is usually the best way...It stays perfect and doesn't need to be folded in any way...

I just flew on American Airlines on Sunday and Monday and both times I had the vinyl type garment bag with my suit in it, as well as a backpack and a purse. Nobody said anything to me! They just hung up my suit in the closet.

I am pretty sure you are allowed two carry-ons...You can actually hang your suit at the front of the aircraft provided it is in a suit bag.

not sure of your plans, but i flew with the suit on. it was dry-cleaned and nice, and transit to the interview didn't really wrinkle anything. i was just sure to be very careful, e.g. drinking coffee while sitting forward in the chair!
my carry on was just a backpack, made for a very fast/efficient trip.

I fly AA regularly with a backpack and a garment bag...
when you get on the plane, there should be a closet before you pass the 1st class people. put the bag in the closet real quick and youre set

out of the 8 or so flights ive been on, i havent had a problem brining a small suitcase and a garment bag. one thing that annoyed me tho are the liquids i cant bring on... sometimes i slide by with a small bottle os lotion and sometimes they make me throw toothpaste away haha