FM Boarded to AF Flight Surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septoplasty

Exceptional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't done research on my particular question because I didn't know where to find the proper answer.

Im going into a FM residency starting in July, and did want to pursue a career in the AF (thus flight surgeon?).

Is it better to join as an air national guard during pgy-1 and do the 2 week field training/year or is it better to join the AF AFTER finishing residency?

Members don't see this ad.

So I haven't done research on my particular question because I didn't know where to find the proper answer.

Im going into a FM residency starting in July, and did want to pursue a career in the AF (thus flight surgeon?).

Is it better to join as an air national guard during pgy-1 and do the 2 week field training/year or is it better to join the AF AFTER finishing residency?

Depends if you want to work for the ANG vs active duty. If you finish residency and ask for commission and a flight surgeon spot you will get it. I don't know how the ANG hires flight docs but I would imagine most are not full time thus you are just doing physicals during drill, maybe they hire you full time after residency who knows. If you take the FAP or something for FP, guaranteed they will make it harder for you to jump ship to flight until you've done a tour. Possible though...

Thank you for the insight.

Well, luckily i'm sitting at a good $0 in loans right now so i'm not considering FAP.

In terms of the roles, what's the difference in ANG vs. say the AF? (I would have thought it'd be the exact same).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the insight.

Well, luckily i'm sitting at a good $0 in loans right now so i'm not considering FAP.

I'm looking into this also, although strickly after residency. They'll give you a stipend of over 2 grand per month during residency and then you'll pay it back 2:1. So, if you do FM, you'll "pay back" 6 years in the ANG or AF reserve.

After residency, you'll go to officer school lasting 4 weeks, and then to flight surgery school lasting 6 weeks.

I'm looking into this also, although strickly after residency. They'll give you a stipend of over 2 grand per month during residency and then you'll pay it back 2:1. So, if you do FM, you'll "pay back" 6 years in the ANG or AF reserve.

After residency, you'll go to officer school lasting 4 weeks, and then to flight surgery school lasting 6 weeks.

When you say AF Reserve, how long is one expected to be deployed at a time/how many times a year?

Financially, I would suspect post-residency to be the best option anyways. As I believe you could take a hike if you don't like it after your contract expires? (or is that considered deserting? lol).

When you say AF Reserve, how long is one expected to be deployed at a time/how many times a year?

Financially, I would suspect post-residency to be the best option anyways. As I believe you could take a hike if you don't like it after your contract expires? (or is that considered deserting? lol).

I have no idea about deployments, although I'm guessing that would depend on how many countries we are at war with. We're no longer in Iraq and Afghanistan is drawing down: maybe no deployments (other than the two weeks annual training during the summer).

If you don't take the stipend, then I don't know how long of a contract you would be expected to fulfill. I guess you could always resign your commission.