FM/EM combined residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOsaintsfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed their are a few programs that offer this combination. Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of being double boarded? Would this primarily be useful for a rural doc or is their a need for someone with this skill set in a more urban setting? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed their are a few programs that offer this combination. Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of being double boarded? Would this primarily be useful for a rural doc or is their a need for someone with this skill set in a more urban setting? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I do not understand this also, and the residency websites do not offer much help. Are you dual boarded, Family Practice and ABEM, or AAPS BC EM after completing the residency??:confused:

There are only two programs I know of that lead to dual board eligibility in both FM and EM for ABMS/ACGME, and they are five years.

The one year EM fellowships can be used to go the ABPS route, which I think has a quasi-legitamite status at best in most peoples minds.

As to why you would want to do it, I don't know the answer to that. Maybe you aren't sure what you want to do? Maybe you don't like the IM/EM programs, and think you may want to do some EM/Hospitalist combo? I don't know.

I was not sure I liked FM enough at first, and I thought I might like EM better. Turns out I really didn't care for EM and it's mindset - i.e. Dispo is king. I like a clinic/inpt/OB mix. So I am doing FM, and I am really not interested in the EM fellowships. If I was, I would probably just do EM, but then I think some people don't know that at first, or change their minds.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are also several fm/em DO programs...(5?).
I can see doing this to work full scope rural practice. work the e.d., do some clinic, manage inpts, do ob, etc as "the only doc in town". also great for international work.

There are only two programs I know of that lead to dual board eligibility in both FM and EM for ABMS/ACGME, and they are five years.

The one year EM fellowships can be used to go the ABPS route, which I think has a quasi-legitamite status at best in most peoples minds.

As to why you would want to do it, I don't know the answer to that. Maybe you aren't sure what you want to do? Maybe you don't like the IM/EM programs, and think you may want to do some EM/Hospitalist combo? I don't know.

I was not sure I liked FM enough at first, and I thought I might like EM better. Turns out I really didn't care for EM and it's mindset - i.e. Dispo is king. I like a clinic/inpt/OB mix. So I am doing FM, and I am really not interested in the EM fellowships. If I was, I would probably just do EM, but then I think some people don't know that at first, or change their minds.

Thanks very helpful. This is odd, why cant someone do two residencies and be dual certified, as opposed to EM IM or FM IM combined residencies and be Family Practice boarded and ABEM boarded. I do not know if someone can be dual boarded doing two different residencies, namely Family Practice or Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine. I am not sure why one would do a fellowship either.

Thanks very helpful. This is odd, why cant someone do two residencies and be dual certified, as opposed to EM IM or FM IM combined residencies and be Family Practice boarded and ABEM boarded. I do not know if someone can be dual boarded doing two different residencies, namely Family Practice or Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine. I am not sure why one would do a fellowship either.

You can be dual certified by the ABFM and ABEM, it's just that I only know of two programs that offer this in a combined setting. Alternatively you could do a one year fellowship following an FM residency, but this does not lead to ABEM eligibility; just ABPS.

And apparently there are some DO FM/EM programs too (I don't know anything about that).

You can be dual certified by the ABFM and ABEM, it's just that I only know of two programs that offer this in a combined setting. Alternatively you could do a one year fellowship following an FM residency, but this does not lead to ABEM eligibility; just ABPS.

And apparently there are some DO FM/EM programs too (I don't know anything about that).

thanks, very helpful :thumbup: Yes I believe the fellowship leads to AAPS (ABPS) certification, BC EM and not ABEM.
EM Hospitalist would be MAJOR burnout but I can totally understand outpatient and EM combination.

I have been looking into these residencies and want to know what kind of practice some people have after these residencies. Ideally I wouldn't mind doing 6-8 ER shifts a month with 3 days of clinic. Seems like a lot of preceptors I have had don't have full schedules at all yet continue with 5 day work weeks that could easily be done in 3. Do most grads end up working FP then do locums shifts at nearby hospitals or do they look for jobs where the ER docs are hospital employees and work under the hospital as an ER doc and FP doc? Any ideas/input?

Last edited:
I have been looking into these residencies and want to know what kind of practice some people have after these residencies. Ideally I wouldn't mind doing 6-8 ER shifts a month with 3 days of clinic. Seems like a lot of preceptors I have had don't have full schedules at all yet continue with 5 day work weeks that could easily be done in 3. Do most grads end up working FP then do locums shifts at nearby hospitals or do they look for jobs where the ER docs are hospital employees and work under the hospital as an ER doc and FP doc? Any ideas/input?

I think it would be tough to find out what kind of practice these people have, just because it would be very tough to find any of those people at all. The number of FM/EM programs is severely limited, and I don't know if they even fill every year or if many of them are even active at all.

The guys that do FM and then EM fellowship tend do be people that decide they like ED work better during residency, and then they get out and just solely do ED work.

The thing to consider is that in terms of earning potential per hour, you will almost always make more doing EM, so from that stand point you would just have to have a really strong desire to do both. And from an FM perspective, I think the way you are going to really be able to make money is by having your own practice, or being in a group, and really working to grow that, which kind of precludes being part time and spending your other days doing EM.

I know that IM/EM or IM/EM/CCM is something that some guys do, and that is less rare than FM/EM even. They tend to be in academics, and do CC and EM mix, plus research time or teaching time. They are often interested in early goal directed therapy, and working on "flow" through a hospital, or things like that.

Perhaps one could pursue an FM/EM pair via that kind of academic route, and spend time teaching residents and maybe FM-EM fellows.

But I think doing it in a private practice setting would be... Confused maybe? Scattered? I just don't really see the draw for doing it in that environment. But I kind of see it working well as an academic.