FM/EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TedStark

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is this combined residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there are 4 spots on the ACGME side. Total. If you're a DO, you get another 4-5. EM is competitive enough that people will use dual residencies as a backdoor now (EM/IM, EM/FM).

So... less so than straight EM, but you're trading time (lost income) and rolling the dice on a field where, unless you have a really good reason (i.e. moving to the middle of nowhere to be the only doc within 250 miles), you'll probably end up doing one or the other. Whether unopposed FM or straight EM makes more sense... well, that's a personal choice.

All that being said, I applied to the dual programs (I'm that weird applicant) along with some FM and EM. Landed in an EM program because reasons. Feel free to PM if you want specifics.

Well, there are 4 spots on the ACGME side. Total. If you're a DO, you get another 4-5. EM is competitive enough that people will use dual residencies as a backdoor now (EM/IM, EM/FM).

So... less so than straight EM, but you're trading time (lost income) and rolling the dice on a field where, unless you have a really good reason (i.e. moving to the middle of nowhere to be the only doc within 250 miles), you'll probably end up doing one or the other. Whether unopposed FM or straight EM makes more sense... well, that's a personal choice.

All that being said, I applied to the dual programs (I'm that weird applicant) along with some FM and EM. Landed in an EM program because reasons. Feel free to PM if you want specifics.

How exactly are those "backdoors" into EM? You fulfill all the requirements for EM and take the EM boards.

I also don't see how EM/FM is less competitive than say a low-tier 4yr EM in an undesirable location. A lot of people aren't interested in it, but as you said with only 4-9 spots nationwide, you don't need too many people to be interested for it to be competitive. The two combined programs I'm familiar with are more competitive than their stand alone EM program. Not much more competitive, but slightly more.

That said, everything else you said is spot on. There's no point doing it unless you have something in mind that you'd need both for (I personally can't think of anything).

Last edited:
Back door in the sense that some students believe it's a less competitive way to get EM boarding. As you pointed out, they're probably not, or at least not enough to make that a wise decision.

Basically, if you want to do train in both, absolutely go for it (pretty low section of the population). If not, pick one after you take a serious look at you goals and motivations.

Reactions: 1 user