FM Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I do not see much info on FM fellowships on this forum. I matched at a reputable ACGME program for FM. My board scores aren't great but I don't have any breaks in my education and never failed a clas sin med school. My question is- if I were to apply for fellowships, how much do board scores matter? I will try my best to do well in step 3.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what i've seen from Fellows who posted on other subspecialty boards (specifically Hem/Onc), they said scores were used as a screening tool because they have immense competition.

I'm not sure what the situation is with FM fellowships. Perhaps Blue Dog or Cabin Builder can give some input.

Check the AAFP website. There are PLENTY of fellowships are there for FM. Geriatrics, Sports Medicine, Adol. Med, Hospice/Palliative are the ones I can think off the top of my head that has a CAQ in front of it, but in family medicine there are plenty of other fellowships out there to complement your training. OB, EM, hospitalist, academic, HIV, global, derm (there's only one out there), rural, women's health, etc. As a family physician I feel like we do fellowships to complement our primary care training, and not necessarily specialize in 100% of the fellowship (although some do, which is perfectly ok). It's why we do family medicine in the first place, right? To treat everything and anything that comes our way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the AAFP website. There are PLENTY of fellowships are there for FM. Geriatrics, Sports Medicine, Adol. Med, Hospice/Palliative are the ones I can think off the top of my head that has a CAQ in front of it, but in family medicine there are plenty of other fellowships out there to complement your training. OB, EM, hospitalist, academic, HIV, global, derm (there's only one out there), rural, women's health, etc. As a family physician I feel like we do fellowships to complement our primary care training, and not necessarily specialize in 100% of the fellowship (although some do, which is perfectly ok). It's why we do family medicine in the first place, right? To treat everything and anything that comes our way.

Great point!

Well said...it would be interesting to know what are the stats of people who get fellowships from FM. I like the idea of complementing the training already given. I've heard that sports med is competitive

Well said...it would be interesting to know what are the stats of people who get fellowships from FM. I like the idea of complementing the training already given. I've heard that sports med is competitive

I've heard on these boards that it's pretty saturated. I assume this is highly location dependent though.

I've heard on these boards that it's pretty saturated. I assume this is highly location dependent though.

You mean there are too many sports medicine docs already in certain areas of the country? I am doing an Orthopedics rotation and really like it. I don't plan to go into surgery but thinking sports medicine is a possibility. Come to think of it, I have always been very physically active and avoided major injuries. May be there is something in that aspect of peoples' lives I can help with...

You mean there are too many sports medicine docs already in certain areas of the country? I am doing an Orthopedics rotation and really like it. I don't plan to go into surgery but thinking sports medicine is a possibility. Come to think of it, I have always been very physically active and avoided major injuries. May be there is something in that aspect of peoples' lives I can help with...

I remember recently either an attending or resident making the comment that "sports medicine was saturated" - I just can't remember what thread. Obviously, I have no idea how true this is or whatever, just restating what I heard. I do think that the philosophy of FM would tend to draw people who are active and therefore sports med would seem pretty interesting to many.

I remember recently either an attending or resident making the comment that "sports medicine was saturated" - I just can't remember what thread. Obviously, I have no idea how true this is or whatever, just restating what I heard. I do think that the philosophy of FM would tend to draw people who are active and therefore sports med would seem pretty interesting to many.

Maybe in some parts of the country, but as an incoming sports medicine fellow (can't wait!), I've been told by interviews around that there is a market out there, now doing 100% sports medicine only maybe difficult to obtain, but I believe sports medicine and the "philosophy of FM" as you said go hand in hand. Sports medicine isn't just for elite athletes, it's about people wanting to be active, and helping them in any way possible to be healthy and live an active lifestyle.

My residency program does have a sports medicine fellowship. I will look into it from my day #1. I see no reason to send some of these patients to orthopedics. My job as a family doc is to keep them away from surgery and hospital if possible.

How does obtaining a FM fellowship affect your earning potential? I'm sure each fellowship brings forth different opportunities, but generally what do you think?

How does obtaining a FM fellowship affect your earning potential? I'm sure each fellowship brings forth different opportunities, but generally what do you think?

I have this question too. How does the income after completing various FM fellowships compare to each other?
For example sports medicine vs emergency medicine
or
obstetrics vs. women's health
and what is a women's health fellowship?

Also I'm aware there are many job opportunities after completing an FM residency. So how does the income compare for those as well?
for example hospitalist vs. concierge vs. urgent care vs. locum tenem vs. clinic

High income does not necessarily come from fellowships. You should do one if you feel that you would need extra training to do what you want in a more specific field. I am an HIV expert and focused my elective time in residency doing so and being credentialed by the academy of HIV medicine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree that the fellowship in and of itself does not *entitle* you to higher earnings. As the word suggests, you have to earn it.

The advantage of fellowship or any other extra training is that it expands your skills and knowledge, which in effect expands the number of patients you can see, the types of patients/diseases you can treat, and/or the services you can offer. That translate to higher volume and higher charges. Additional experience may also make you more efficient in seeing certain types of cases, or make you more effective in outcomes or more cost-effective in your resource utilization. All these things potentially can translate to higher earnings.

I just finished an amazing rotation in Orthopedics. I love it, I am gonna' go for sport medicine. Thanks to my DO school for all the musculoskeletal training.

I saw that ER and Urgent care fellowships are also available as fellowships. But I wonder what would be the point of doing these fellowships? Can't you already work in ERs and urgent care centers when you come out of FM residency?

I saw that ER and Urgent care fellowships are also available as fellowships. But I wonder what would be the point of doing these fellowships? Can't you already work in ERs and urgent care centers when you come out of FM residency?
Yes. I went straight from residency to a full time ER attending position, though the fellowship may be helpful if you're interested in working at a larger hospital. Trauma Level 2 is the question, Level 1 is usually staffed by ABEM certified only, and Level 3 or 4 jobs can often be obtained with FM residency alone.

Ioh, I am interested in possibly doing an ER Fellowship after residency. I would love to know more about your work environment and hours, your ballpark salary (if you are willing to share), do you plan on doing this long-term or short-term? What is the setting of your ER and geographical location? Were you well received with FM residency training? Thanks so much for your input.

I have this question too. How does the income after completing various FM fellowships compare to each other?
For example sports medicine vs emergency medicine
or
obstetrics vs. women's health
and what is a women's health fellowship?

Also I'm aware there are many job opportunities after completing an FM residency. So how does the income compare for those as well?
for example hospitalist vs. concierge vs. urgent care vs. locum tenem vs. clinic
\

I would also like to know this or what a good resource is for this information. I have tried browsing physician employment sites but the information wasn't readily available there.

Ioh, I am interested in possibly doing an ER Fellowship after residency. I would love to know more about your work environment and hours, your ballpark salary (if you are willing to share), do you plan on doing this long-term or short-term? What is the setting of your ER and geographical location? Were you well received with FM residency training? Thanks so much for your input.

Just throwing around some ideas, because I don't know enough about this to make an informed comment, but I've heard/read that the FM-->ER thing is slowly becoming a thing of the past, unless in a really underserved area. Are there still a decent amount of EM fellowships for FM grads? From what I've read, most EDs are looking for BC EPs. With the growing interest in EM, not sure how this will affect future students with the FM-->EM idea. Also, if one was truly interested in EM (these days), why not just go EM or maybe a combined FM-EM program?

Dharma, you're correct that nationally there is a trend away from staffing FM and favoring EM physicians in ER's. What this means for the future is that it will likely become increasingly difficult to find a good ER position if you're FM trained. At present there are plenty of opportunities still out there (due to sheer lack of physicians available compared to ER's), but it should be noted that you'll end up working in a smaller hospital and getting paid less than if you had completed an ER residency.

My reasoning for pursuing ER after an FM residency was to stay rural and keep a broader skill set around for a while, earn a higher salary to pay off student loans more quickly, and then transition to the office for primary care long term.

IOH

It seems as if your dual boarded in FM and EM, if this is correct can you talk a little about your practice set up. Their are a couple of dual FM/EM residencies out there and that is something that on the surface interests me. I like the idea of possibly splitting time in the ER and outpatient clinic. I also like the idea of working more ER shifts early on and then later in my career transitioning into outpatient only.

Have you run into any challenges? Do you feel like your time spent in both residencies was worth while (ie. would you do it again)? Have you found it difficult to find a EM group or FM group that would let you split time between both practice settings? Thanks in advance for any insight.

NOsaintsfan, I'm not double boarded, I did residency and am board certified in Family Medicine only.

After graduating residency, I moved to a rural area where the traditional FM model still exists to a degree and some of the physicians work in both the office and hospital. I work in the ER only but do not intend to stay in the ER long term.

If you're interested in splitting time between EM/FM, the question in my mind is whether you're okay with being in a rural area. If so, what you're describing is traditional family medicine (office, ER, hospitalist, and/or OB all in one physician). In these areas where the need for care is great it shouldn't be too hard to find groups that would allow you to practice in both the ER and clinic with FM training alone. Doing both EM/FM would open up more opportunities, certainly, but I can't really speak to whether it would be worthwhile or if you could find split opportunities in more populated areas.

IOH thanks for the response.

As I stated before I really like the idea and flexibility of working in both settings however I guess I'll have to wait till I go on rotations to get a better idea of what will be right for me. Thanks for your response.

On a related note I plan on practicing in a rural/semirural area so this may indeed be a good fit for me. I guess time will tell.

My reasoning for pursuing ER after an FM residency was to stay rural and keep a broader skill set around for a while, earn a higher salary to pay off student loans more quickly, and then transition to the office for primary care long term.

Thank you for your input! I can most definitely see the value of the EM fellowship in someone looking to go rural. I'd imagine it's a necessary skill set in such a setting when you often wear many different hats on any given day.