FM getting more competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard a few people say FM is getting more competitive (outside of the rock bottom programs). Anyone else hear similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Residency in general is more competitive than it was because applicants are increasing, people are applying to more programs, and people are interviewing at more programs. From the perspective of competitiveness between fields, no its not more competitive.

Reactions: 14 users
With continued expansion and increased applications It certainly might have that feel. However it remains one of the least competitive specialties to match into. Low scores, barely passing scores, failures or even repeated failures will be able to match family

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing is getting easier to match into

Reactions: 3 users
Anatomy of a medical student

Undergrad- I’m being to be a world class researcher at Harvard and cure cancer hiv etc
After mcat - which DO schools will take me I’m getting wrecked on MCAT
Gets into do school- I’m going to be a plastic surgeon and make a bajillion a year fixing cleft palates in Africa.
Start of third year - guys can I get plastic/derm with average board scores?
Fourth year- guys is fm competitive still

Reactions: 25 users
Anatomy of a medical student

Undergrad- I’m being to be a world class researcher at Harvard and cure cancer hiv etc
After mcat - which DO schools will take me I’m getting wrecked on MCAT
Gets into do school- I’m going to be a plastic surgeon and make a bajillion a year fixing cleft palates in Africa.
Start of third year - guys can I get plastic/derm with average board scores?
Fourth year- guys is fm competitive still

The story continues.
First week of IM - get to business on cardiology or GI!
PGY2 - I heard hospitalist is pretty sweet deal, 7 on then 7 off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Somebody was posting over in the MD forums about if FM can open a derm only practice. No idea what the guy is but we can go along with

PGY-3 fm- guys can I open only a derm practice derm derm derm derm derm derm

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking of starting an all cash OMM practice. Is an NMM-OMM residency competitive nowadays?

We were told that the FM-NMM residency is going away after the merger is complete. I wonder how OMM will be implemented in the future.

Somebody was posting over in the MD forums about if FM can open a derm only practice. No idea what the guy is but we can go along with

As NP's have showed us, you can basically do whatever you want. Dermmy derm deermm away.

Reactions: 3 users

Rotated with a peds attending who loved derm, but loved peds more. So now she just does peds derm and most of the pediatric patients with skin issues get sent to her.

Benefits of primary care is you can practice basically anything you're trained in for.

Reactions: 2 users
Rotated with a peds attending who loved derm, but loved peds more. So now she just does peds derm and most of the pediatric patients with skin issues get sent to her.

Benefits of primary care is you can practice basically anything you're trained in for.

Going to agree w/ you that real life medicine works differently than your pre-conception of it.

I have seen primary care docs running the cardio suite and doing colonoscopy all days that the overall sdn conception of this specialty doc being able to do only these procedures is misplaced.

To all the kids out there who want to inject Botox shots, do Derm biopsies, and hand out steroid creams all day, it’s very doable even as a FM doc assuming that you’re not practicing in a major metropolitan area.

Yep, I’ve quickly become the defectors woment
Going to agree w/ you that real life medicine works differently than your pre-conception of it.

I have seen primary care docs running the cardio suite and doing colonoscopy all days that the overall sdn conception of this specialty doc being able to do only these procedures is misplaced.

To all the kids out there who want to inject Botox shots, do Derm biopsies, and hand out steroid creams all day, it’s very doable even as a FM doc assuming that you’re not practicing in a major metropolitan area.

Hell theres a FM doc out here that does breast augmentations rather than primary care. I don’t agree with it; I think it’s unethical and dangerous; but he does it. He has billboards up everywhere.

Truth is, once you’ve got a license to practice medicine, you can do any procedure you want, as long as the patient consents. And patients are generally ignorant, and trusting, and don’t know any better.

So obviously, just because you can buy a laser and do laser liposuction all day doesn’t mean you should. There’s nothing keeping any doctor from doing things not in their specialty’s scope except ethics. Hospitals may not credential a doctor to do something like that, and insurance may not pay; but I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get a weekend gig at a medical-spa doing pretty much anything I wanted. And plenty of people would line up to pay cash for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hell theres a FM doc out here that does breast augmentations rather than primary care. I don’t agree with it; I think it’s unethical and dangerous; but he does it. He has billboards up everywhere.

Truth is, once you’ve got a license to practice medicine, you can do any procedure you want, as long as the patient consents. And patients are generally ignorant, and trusting, and don’t know any better.

So obviously, just because you can buy a laser and do laser liposuction all day doesn’t mean you should. There’s nothing keeping any doctor from doing things not in their specialty’s scope except ethics. Hospitals may not credential a doctor to do something like that, and insurance may not pay; but I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get a weekend gig at a medical-spa doing pretty much anything I wanted. And plenty of people would line up to pay cash for it.

I don't think there's anything inherently unethical about it. This is not anti-aging "medicine" or "nAtUroPAthIC dOCterZ" where you take someone's money because they have more dollars than sense. It's like you said--once you have your medical degree you can do any procedure--within the confines of your training and patient consent. I was under the impression that unless you're Christopher Duntsch there's a whole lot more than just ethics stopping someone from performing substandard surgeries.

Is the guy not good at his job and no one is calling him on it?

I don't think there's anything inherently unethical about it. This is not anti-aging "medicine" or "nAtUroPAthIC dOCterZ" where you take someone's money because they have more dollars than sense. It's like you said--once you have your medical degree you can do any procedure--within the confines of your training and patient consent. I was under the impression that unless you're Christopher Duntsch there's a whole lot more than just ethics stopping someone from performing substandard surgeries.

Is the guy not good at his job and no one is calling him on it?

Truth is, you can legally do procedures outside the confines of your training. That’s where the unethical part (in my opinion) comes in. Some guys do online modules and a weekend conference and go from primary care to cosmetic surgery. Since insurance doesn’t pay for cosmetics, people pay cash regardless, people may not know or think to ask if the doctor is properly trained and board certified, and just assume. Board certification as a means to ensure at least a modicum of quality is one benefit to insurance panels, for example, I couldn’t get on most insurance panels for primary care without being board certified in FM.

Still, doing this may be legal, but it’s unethical IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Truth is, you can legally do procedures outside the confines of your training. That’s where the unethical part (in my opinion) comes in. Some guys do online modules and a weekend conference and go from primary care to cosmetic surgery. Since insurance doesn’t pay for cosmetics, people pay cash regardless, people may not know or think to ask if the doctor is properly trained and board certified (I couldn’t get on most insurance panels for primary care without being board certified in FM). Still, doing this is legal, but unethical IMO.

Ah, gotcha.

Makes much more sense and I totally agree.