FM LOR to IM programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redcharger2904

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an American LOR from a family medicine physician uploaded last week. However I got warning that my specialty doesn't match LOR(I'm applying to both FM and IM), as the LOR is considered FM-specific. I have emailed the author and awaiting response. Should I submit this FM LOR to IM programs? (I have 1 FM and 2 IM LORs. One of IM LORs is non-American)

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO if you submit FM LOR to IM Programs then you are pretty much telling them that they are your backup option to FM.

IMHO if you submit FM LOR to IM Programs then you are pretty much telling them that they are your backup option to FM.

Disagree. It is completely fine to use solid letters from other specialties (as long as you still have 1-2 from your area of interest). It helps show well-roundedness. FM and IM are close enough that letters could easily cross over, especially at community-based programs.

EDIT: never mind, I just read the OP which said the letter itself specified an interest in FM directly. That's an issue for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
Disagree. It is completely fine to use solid letters from other specialties (as long as you still have 1-2 from your area of interest). It helps show well-roundedness. FM and IM are close enough that letters could easily cross over, especially at community-based programs.
Does this mean that I can use my solid LoR from an internist towards specialties like Psychiatry or Pathology?

Reactions: 1 user
Does this mean that I can use my solid LoR from an internist towards specialties like Psychiatry or Pathology?

Of course, as long as this letter doesn't discuss your ongoing interest in IM.

Honestly this should be pretty obvious. Why else would you have asked that individual for a letter?

Reactions: 1 users

Well this is prob true, but it sure does seem like there are a lot of IM docs are working in a family med outpatient practice setting... At least at my med school many of the docs I've been with on my fam med rotations actually did an IM residency and are working as priamry care/FM docs