FM/PSYCH combined residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panthera

the big cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they any AOA combined residencies for family medicine and psychiatry?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't even know this was possible. Thanks for letting me know about the existence of the program :) It's a shame there are no AOA ones though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even know this was possible. Thanks for letting me know about the existence of the program :) It's a shame there are no AOA ones though.

So there are ACGME programs for a fact then??

view
details
7200544004University of California (Davis) ProgramSacramento, CAPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7200544005University of California (San Diego) ProgramSan Diego, CAPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7202344012National Capital Consortium ProgramWashington, DCPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7201444008Tripler Army Medical Center ProgramTripler AMC, HIPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7201844009University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics ProgramIowa City, IAPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7203844013University Hospitals Case Medical Center ProgramCleveland, OHPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7203844006University of Cincinnati Hospital Group ProgramCincinnati, OHPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7203944001University of Oklahoma College of Medicine-Tulsa ProgramTulsa, OKPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7204144015University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education ProgramPittsburgh, PAPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)view
details
7205544010West Virginia University ProgramMorgantown, WVPsychiatry/Family Medicine (non-accredited)

Hey, thanks for the list, although I think the Tripler one is no longer in existent. It's also a shame that they all seem to be non-accredited. Not even sure what that means, but I'll look into it more.

I really don't know what the ramifications are for training at a non-accredited program. I saw in the PM&R forum that they were talking about being denied HMO in-network contracts because their fellowships were not accredited.

Would you be in-eligible for board certification? If this is true why would anyone go to one of these residencies? Seems like it might just be free slave-labor for the hospital enticing FMG's etc. who have exhausted other possiblities.....

Nice. Seems like it would be an interesting combined residency, and good tools for which ever path you practice (or for both).

I think this would be ideal for someone wishing to practice addiction medicine ala Dr. Drew....running a rehab maybe.

FWIW, the combined Psych/FM residency is basically useless. A physician can only be 50% skilled at one specialty, and 50% skilled in the other specialty. It's nearly impossible to stay in tune and keep current in both specialties.

there is an addiction fellowship that can be obtained after psych or IM residency

i've even heard of people getting triple board certified... but how does that affect your salary? is it a substantial increase?

i've even heard of people getting triple board certified... but how does that affect your salary? is it a substantial increase?

It looks great on your CV.

It makes people go "wow, that guy/girl has done a lot of schooling and knows a ton of stuff.

It makes the people at the white coat embroidery company say "sweet, we can charge a lot for putting all these words on the coat".

Can't say it dramatically affects your salary.

It looks great on your CV.

It makes people go "wow, that guy/girl has done a lot of schooling and knows a ton of stuff.

It makes the people at the white coat embroidery company say "sweet, we can charge a lot for putting all these words on the coat".

Can't say it dramatically affects your salary.

Haha...sweet.

I can only speak for my uncle who did a FP residency...hated that then did Anesthesiology at IU. Then had a crippling back injury which prevented him for standing long periods in the OR. He just went back and did a Psych residency so he could sit all day because of his back...So he is board certified in 3 pretty much mutually exclusive specialties that probably don't enhance one another at all.

Life is a journey...

Last edited:
I think Pitt offers a FM/psych/child psych program so you can add in a psych fellowship. So that would be a trile boarded residnecy as child psych has its own boards

It's crazy. From what peoplke have told me child psych is the only psych fellowship that adds to your income, but you have to spend what seems like is the rest of your life in residency....

And adding FM certainly doesn't add to your income, although it could make you a more versatile practitioner, if you can believe that you can keep on top of all of it

Keep in mind that getting reboarded in 2 specialties every 7 years or whatever it is will be a bitch

Good luck!

Yeah, it's starting to sound less appealing, especially since I still can't seem to find an accredited program. Oh well, it was nice to dream.

I'd also hate to be reboarded twice every cycle. Sounds pretty annoying, but I guess some people are cool with doing it.

Haha...sweet.

I can only speak for my uncle who did a FP residency...hated that then did Anesthesiology at IU. Then had a crippling back injury which prevented him for standing long periods in the OR. He just went back and did a Psych residency so he could sit all day because of his back...So he is board certified in 3 pretty much mutually exclusive specialties that probably don't enhance one another at all.

Life is a journey...

If your uncle already did a psych residency, why did you post today in the general residency forum asking if your uncle could do a psych residency?

Yeah, it's starting to sound less appealing, especially since I still can't seem to find an accredited program.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no combined programs that are ACGME accredited, not as a combination anyway.

Go to the ACGME website and click on 'combined programs' on the left. You'll notice that they all are non-accredited. The following paragraph can be read at the bottom of the page:

"Combined training consists of a coherent educational experience in two or more closely related specialty or subspecialty programs. The educational plan for combined training is approved by the specialty board of each of the specialties to assure that resident physicians completing combined training are eligible for board certification in each of the component specialties. Each specialty or subspecialty program is separately accredited by ACGME through its respective specialty review committee. The duration of combined training is longer than any one of its component specialty programs standing alone, and shorter than all of its component specialty programs together. "

Good luck

The residents in these combined programs eventually become board certified in each of the specialties so why wouldn't it be accredited? It makes no sense to me...

The residents in these combined programs eventually become board certified in each of the specialties so why wouldn't it be accredited? It makes no sense to me...

The combined residency programs themselves are not accredited, but the individual programs are. So, peds is accredited at Pitt and psych is too, but the process of putting them together has not been OKed. What it's saying to you the applicant is, you will not fall under the jurisdiction of the ACGME, so things like the 80 work week restriction, etc won't apply for you. It gives the the institutions more control as the programs are new and an agreed upon format for residency has not yet been established.

There will be a consensus soon I'm sure for many combined training programs...if anyone has any news, please post!