FM Residencies(East Coast) that incorporate FM residents running trauma codes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewsmack05

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. Are there any FM residencies(guessing unopposed) ON THE EAST COAST that allow FM residents to run trauma codes? Thanks for the replies

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a particular reason for asking this? Are you seeking this out? We didn’t do this in our residency. In fact I was never in my hospital’s trauma bay during training and didn’t even know where it was. Haha.

Yes it is. I understand that it is not standard experience in FM residency but there are some out there that do incorporate that into the curriculum. I was hoping to tap into that in order to mesh with the common FM experience so that I would be better equipped in rural areas and outside of the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed with Cabarrus FM in Concord, NC they had a trauma rotation set up at what was then Carolinas in Charlotte. A former resident was in the military and after residency was being sent to Iraq (this was 2009) and wanted more trauma experience so he spent a month in the level 1 trauma center.

OP is probably better off using an elective month getting that experience at his hospital vs. seeking a program out with an "inbuilt" focus on trauma. Because lets face it, what percentage of FM docs run these nowadays?

Yes I am a resident already and I am at a residency on the west coast that has great trauma experience built into the surgery rotation. However, my mother has been getting sicker and I’m hoping to somehow move to the east coast(PD already knows), but I am just looking for options without surrendering experience.

Lancaster General FM in Pennsylvania has an unopposed FM residency at a relatively busy L2 trauma center. I don't know specifically how much experience the residents get with trauma but it might be worth calling them.

Yes I am a resident already and I am at a residency on the west coast that has great trauma experience built into the surgery rotation. However, my mother has been getting sicker and I’m hoping to somehow move to the east coast(PD already knows), but I am just looking for options without surrendering experience.
I know UT-Knoxville does trauma as part of their surgery rotation. I’m not sure how involved that is though, as it was a turn off for me when looking at them for residency.

When I interviewed with Cabarrus FM in Concord, NC they had a trauma rotation set up at what was then Carolinas in Charlotte. A former resident was in the military and after residency was being sent to Iraq (this was 2009) and wanted more trauma experience so he spent a month in the level 1 trauma center.

This isn't a standard rotation at the program now, but it could probably be arranged if requested during 3rd year electives. They try their darndest to get you the rotations you want.