FM residencies in the midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dani042

Sports Medicine Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm currently an OMS3 and am working on setting up my list of potential residencies. I would like to go somewhere in the Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota area. Anyone have advice, good/bad/ugly on particular programs? Any programs in the Midwest I may be overlooking? I'm a DO student and have a strong interest in sports medicine if that counts for anything. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard nothing but good things about via Christi in Wichita ...one of the docs I know trained there and claims its one of the best in the country. They are dual accredited and also have a Sports Med fellowship.

What about MN? St. Cloud MN has a DO FM residency, and I speak from experience, it's a nice area, and the residency is recommended by people I know personally...

http://www.centracare.com/fam_med_res/index.html

I can also tell you from experience, that the salary for the residency (~48-52k) is MORE than enough to live in the area, the cost of living is pretty low there... it is a safe area, and the hospital is the regional medical center, and only transfers severe burns to Minneapolis...

http://www.opportunities.osteopathi...program_id=189052&hosp_id=119907&returnPage=1

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Via Christi in Wichita is well known to be a solid FM program. Its quite competitive for a primary care sp. to match to.

St. Joe's in Mishawaka, IN. You didn't list IN but I thought I'd throw that one out since you're interested in sports med. They have a great sports med fellowship with opportunities for working with Notre Dame sports teams.

Hello everyone! I'm currently an OMS3 and am working on setting up my list of potential residencies. I would like to go somewhere in the Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota area. Anyone have advice, good/bad/ugly on particular programs? Any programs in the Midwest I may be overlooking? I'm a DO student and have a strong interest in sports medicine if that counts for anything. Thanks so much!

The Lincoln Family Medicine Program in Lincoln, NE is a great unopposed program in a city of over 250,000. Tons of OB and procedures and numerous opportunities to moonlight. Both Wichita programs (Via Christi and Wesley) are both also very good. All three are DO friendly. I have also heard good things about Sioux City, IA program but do not know much about it as I did not interview there. You can't go wrong with most of the unopposed midwestern programs (especially in KS, NE, SD). I am graduating this July from the Lincoln Program. Message me if you have questions.