FM residencies that will not interview DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get a list together. Hopefully not many but wanted to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s probably easier to look at current residents for your favorite 10-20 places and make sure there is 1 DO accepted

The list won't be long...
I hope that is true. I was looking at the rosters of several family medicine programs and they do not have any DOs. Take for instance Swedish FM in Seattle. I'm curious if they have just not had DO applicants or if there is bias. This is FM for heavens sake.

I hope that is true. I was looking at the rosters of several family medicine programs and they do not have any DOs. Take for instance Swedish FM in Seattle. I'm curious if they have just not had DO applicants or if there is bias. This is FM for heavens sake.
If they don't have a DO in the last 3+ years, there is probably some bias. Sadly some PD prefers FMG over DO. For instance, UCF IM program is filled with FMG but has only 1 DO in their 60+ rosters.

Won’t interview DO’s? I’m not aware of anywhere off hand...maybe UCLA’s Santa Monica program? Haven’t checked in a while but they had no DO’s when I was applying.

I know McKay-Dee in Utah is less than DO friendly. They won’t interview you without USMLE, and they basically told me during my interview that they like to have “a” DO in their program because “they’re nice to have around for MSK and sports med complaints”. I didn’t end up being their “token DO”.

Won’t interview DO’s? I’m not aware of anywhere off hand...maybe UCLA’s Santa Monica program? Haven’t checked in a while but they had no DO’s when I was applying.

I know McKay-Dee in Utah is less than DO friendly. They won’t interview you without USMLE, and they basically told me during my interview that they like to have “a” DO in their program because “they’re nice to have around for MSK and sports med complaints”. I didn’t end up being their “token DO”.

What about UCSF?

The list is very short, but I think you have to be decently competitive. Stanford has a TCOM alum and she was a legit applicant.