This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livingstonebridge10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How common is it in FM residency to get dismissed?

Are there test requirements you need to pass during residency other than Step 3/Level 3? ITE or something? what is this?

Just asking because there seem to be 1 missing PGY2 at our FM residency program.

Curious Incoming FM PGY-1...

Thanks.

There are lots of reasons people leave a program other than being dismissed. Not fitting in with the program, personal/family issues, tired of medicine, don’t like the speciality, and many more.

Unless it looks like a trend I would not put much stock into it

Reactions: 4 users

Are there test requirements you need to pass during residency other than Step 3/Level 3? ITE or something? what is this?

Just asking because there seem to be 1 missing PGY2 at our FM residency program.

Thanks.

One of my co-residents left because he decided he wanted to be in a different specialty and managed to score a spot in an Ivy League residency program in his specialty choice. That's just one example.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.
Just ask an upper level, most will tell you

Reactions: 2 users
Dismissals based solely on in-house academic testing is not that common --- probably less than half for all dismissals?

Most dismissals I've seen happened because of personal or professional issues --- sexual affairs with nurses or nursing students, temper tantrums in front of hospital staff, being drunk at work, etc. However, if you fail Step 3 two or three times then I wouldnt expect to have a PGY-2 spot waiting for you, either.

Dismissals based solely on in-house academic testing is not that common --- probably less than half for all dismissals?

Most dismissals I've seen happened because of personal or professional issues --- sexual affairs with nurses or nursing students, temper tantrums in front of hospital staff, being drunk at work, etc. However, if you fail Step 3 two or three times then I wouldnt expect to have a PGY-2 spot waiting for you, either.
You are absolutely allowed to have personal relations with a hospital staff member. Or do you mean harassment of nurses?

You are absolutely allowed to have personal relations with a hospital staff member. Or do you mean harassment of nurses?

You better read your employee handbook a little more closely. Most hospitals will discourage this type of behavior even if they don't flat out prohibit it.

Getting the reputation of "banging" all the cute nursing students on your service is not the type of thing that looks good on a CV.

Getting the reputation of "banging" all the cute nursing students on your service is not the type of thing that looks good on a CV.

ALL of them...?

image-asset.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
You better read your employee handbook a little more closely. Most hospitals will discourage this type of behavior even if they don't flat out prohibit it.

Unless you're a solid 8-9, you won't be going around sleeping with everyone or even sleeping around in general (as a dude). Most of the people who have this "problem" are usually in one-off affairs that should not be a problem to HR in any way unless it's harassment related.
And noted that I left out the students part... Though you're not really in a power position over nursing students so it should not be a technical issue.

Unless you're a solid 8-9, you won't be going around sleeping with everyone or even sleeping around in general (as a dude). Most of the people who have this "problem" are usually in one-off affairs that should not be a problem to HR in any way unless it's harassment related.

Maybe in this day and age, but it certainly wasn't like that in the 80's and 90's. I've heard enough stories to know back then hospitals were trying really hard to be real-life versions of Grey's Anatomy or ER where attractive docs and nurses are always finding new ways to hook up.

It's hard for any employer to totally forbid workplace romances or affairs, but you're treading on thin ice with your PD if you're a male resident going around flirting with every pretty nurse or nursing student. Females aint coming to work there because they think it's a pickup bar.

Maybe in this day and age, but it certainly wasn't like that in the 80's and 90's. I've heard enough stories to know back then hospitals were trying really hard to be real-life versions of Grey's Anatomy or ER where attractive docs and nurses are always finding new ways to hook up.

It's hard for any employer to totally forbid workplace romances or affairs, but you're treading on thin ice with your PD if you're a male resident going around flirting with every pretty nurse or nursing student. Females aint coming to work there because they think it's a pickup bar.

I don't doubt that. I'm sure standards were slightly lower in the 80s but this really is only a problem if you're appealing to the point of it becoming an issue. Not something to worry about for the strong vast majority.

And yes if you're going around hitting on everyone, that will be a huge issue.

Reactions: 1 user