FM Shelf as an MS2 - just trying to pass it, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JingleChips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fam

I searched for similar posts and found lots of info but im kinda in a unique situation where my own post was needed

We do our "family med" rotation as 2nd year students with 4-8 hours of clinic each week all year long, and have 3 hours of primary care lecture each week to supplement. Also had 3 in-house exams throughout the year testing the primary care lectures.

A couple things:

- FM Shelf is 1st week of May

- It's only worth 10% (!!!!!) of our overall FM grade since we're stupid MS2s, however I need to pass it to pass the rotation.

- The passing cutoff for it is a 59 or 2SD below the class mean (whichever is lower). Just checked and a 59 is about the 8th percentile, historically. Again keep in mind - the reported averages are for mostly MS3s who gave a **** and had time to study this stuff, I did not.

- My knowledge base is actual ****. I skipped every primary care lecture the entire year, and crammed 12h/day for 2 days for each in house exam, scores on each were around the 50th percentile in our class but ofc everything got brain dumped immediately.

- Our step1 dedicated starts mid-May, and right now is our prededicated (very little class time and reduced volume of material given to us so we can go ham for step1)

- I could care less about getting H/HP on my FM rotation with step1 looming. I just want to scrape by and not fail.

1. How much time should I dedicate to cramming for this shelf exam, with my ****ty knowledge base and given the 59 (8th percentile) cutoff?

2. What resources would be best considering my significant knowledge gap? Are there any step1 topics that are high yield for this shelf so that I could plan to study these near the shelf date and kill 2 birds?

3. How ****ed am i? I know this shelf is one of the harder ones bc its so broad, plus the fact that I'm still a n00b MS2

Thanks fam

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna recommend case files internal medicine and pediatrics, along with the CDC vaccination schedule

Read slowly and carefully, and commit to answer before turning the page and seeing the answers.

Read 3-4 cases every night (~1 hr) and you'll clear the books by shelf day. They'll give you a good base for when you start step 1 studying too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app