FM w/ OB question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyOU

Slow like Honey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Does a Family Physician just decide for himself whether he will deliver babies?
(assuming where he works is ok with it)

Is his residency training sufficient for this if he wants to deliver babies or is an OB fellowship required?

Thank you,
Johnny

Members don't see this ad.

The decision whether or not do do OB is entirely that of the individual.

Fellowship training is not required. However, most hospitals will require that you demonstrate competence (to their satsfaction) before they will grant you privileges. As you can imagine, this will vary from locale to locale, and local politics will undoubtedly enter the picture.

Whether or not you feel comfortable doing OB after you finish residency is largely dependent on the kind of OB experience you can obtain. This is highly variable, and your own motivation will play a big role in determining how many longitudinal OB patients you follow, how many deliveries you get, etc.

If you're already certain that you want to do OB, you should either plan on attending a residency program that will give you a good OB experience, or do a fellowship after residency (or both.)

I don't do OB myself, so I'm not going to be able to provide much more information than that.

More info here: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/policy/policies/o/obstetrics.html

Thanks a lot Kent. :thumbup: