FMG Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshthedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American citizen that graduated from a foreign school several years ago. I've gone through the interview process and I am waiting for match day. Since i've been out of hospital for a couple of years now I need to get some skills back. Does anybody know of any hospitals that accept FMG's for 1-2 month externships? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am also interested in finding out about externships. Has anyone done one and if so, where? Are there any good websites to search? thanks!

What you are looking for is an observership. Since you are no longer a student, you will not be covered under your school's malpractice policy and many hospitals are loathe to cover you independently. Thus, generally you are restricted to simply observing (which I'm not sure will help you much) - if you can actually find something which will give you clinical contact with patients, obviously that will help, but if not, IMHO I'd just forget about it and let the chips fall where they may come July 1.

I am unaware of a listing, but some more FMG oriented sites like valuemd might have more information if you can't find it here.