FMG returning to US for residency (US citizen, US college graduate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoenberg3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I graduated from a HYPS university and, for personal reasons, attended medical school in South Korea.
Now, I am considering coming back to the US for residency.
I understand that it's never that easy for FMGs to match into a US residency. I have following two questions:
  1. Since I am US citizen with complete fluency of the language and essentially only went abroad for medical school, would that confer some advantage over other FMGs when it comes to matching?
Specifically, I am looking to match into any program in psychiatry in Northern California. I understand that it's a competitive region (and that psych has gotten more popular recently) but if I obtain above average USMLE scores, would I have a good shot?

2) I understand the two main things I have to do is to take the USMLE and gain 4 weeks (?) of clinical experience in the form of clerkship or subinternship. Is there anything else that I should prepare in advance for the transition?

Thank you so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a slight advantage due to mitigated language concerns and lack of visa issues. This does not guarantee anything.

USMLE will be key and should be stellar.

USCE will be hard to get at the moment and 4 weeks in the target specialty is probably a minimum requirement.