Fmg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDStudent33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a undergrad (Bio) in the USA considering going to India for Med School. I am currently only in my first year and would be in India by the end of this year. I have read several threads on different forums about the process as well as the difficulty in obtaining residency back in the US as a FMG even with US Citizenship.

The reason for going to India is because my family is opting to move back due to family reasons. I know India has some really good med schools as well (AIIMS, CMC Vellore, MMC..). Anybody heard of what they look for admission since I doubt AIIMS or the elite colleges follow the "donation" system like Manipal or SRM. Don't really want to go to SRM/Manipal even though I heard they are more NRI friendly because of the rep it has for this. Dont know how much PD's/Doctors here are aware of it though. I have lived in India before so it would not be as much as a cultural change or a discomfort for me as it would for others. Only thing is I want to make sure there would be no problem in getting residency/job later with hard work. I understand there are hard programs in residency even as a US Grad so what would be some additional things you can do on top of getting a good USMLE score/publications/research? Also, if I follow the standard FMG path of trying to obtain a regular Internal Medicine/Family Practice Residency, what would be the process or chance of specializing in Neuro, Cardio, or any other field later?

Would much appreciate input. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.