FMGs and the TOEFL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nitti

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO FMG's have to take the TOEFL if they attend a med school in English (i.e. Ireland)? I think I read this is necessary to begin residency in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Over here in the Caribbean, I still have to take the TOEFL even though I've lived my entire life in the U.S., everything is taught in English, and this is an English-speaking island.

AWDC,

As of June of next year, you no longer have to take the toefl. it will be a part of the new CSA done by the usmle called the USMLE Step 2 CS. Everyone, including US students will have to take that exam so there will be NO difference in exams taken by USG's and IMG's

Members don't see this ad :)
At the time of publication, applicants for ECFMG Certification were required to pass an English language proficiency test. When USMLE Step 2 CS is implemented in mid-2004, the English language proficiency test will no longer be a requirement for ECFMG Certification. For more information, ECFMG-certified physicians and physicians pursuing ECFMG Certification should refer to English Language Proficiency Test, subscribe to The ECFMG? Reporter, and monitor this website as the implementation of this change approaches.

C'est true...

** BellKicker stares emptily at the screen for 5 minutes, realizing he wasted 200 dollars, a 6-hour drive to Berlin and 3 hours in a prometric test center**

Well, consider it a well-earned day trip to Berlin, that cost $200 :(

Originally posted by bts4202
AWDC,

As of June of next year, you no longer have to take the toefl. it will be a part of the new CSA done by the usmle called the USMLE Step 2 CS. Everyone, including US students will have to take that exam so there will be NO difference in exams taken by USG's and IMG's

Way cool... :clap:

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
At the time of publication, applicants for ECFMG Certification were required to pass an English language proficiency test. When USMLE Step 2 CS is implemented in mid-2004, the English language proficiency test will no longer be a requirement for ECFMG Certification. For more information, ECFMG-certified physicians and physicians pursuing ECFMG Certification should refer to English Language Proficiency Test, subscribe to The ECFMG? Reporter, and monitor this website as the implementation of this change approaches.

C'est true...

Well, its about time.

I'm still peeved I missed two questions on the darn thing! ;)

I took the TOEFL for my Washington State pharmacy license. Not to slight your English language abilities Kim, but how can a native English speaker get a question wrong? Message me if you'd like some private tutoring :D

Yes, finally the national licensure will be equivalent for IMGs and AMGs!

:clap:

About damn time!

Now, if we could only get some of the more xenophobic state licensure boards ([coughs] AHEM... [clears throat].... "TEXAS"... AHEM... :rolleyes: ) to be a little more egalitarian.

-Skip

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Well, its about time.

I'm still peeved I missed two questions on the darn thing! ;)

I missed one, and a woman who was from India laughed at me, saying she got them all right!

At the same time, though, people ask me how many languages I speak, and I say, "I'm fluent in English", and they laugh, but then realize how many native speakers of a language have not completely mastered it.

(My problem, of course, isn't how I say it, but what I say.)

Originally posted by Apollyon
... but then realize how many native speakers of a language have not completely mastered it.

One of Cheech Marin's songs in, IIRC, one of the "Up in Smoke" installments...

"Mexican-Americans, love education, they go to night school, take Spanish, and get a 'B'."

:laugh:

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
I took the TOEFL for my Washington State pharmacy license. Not to slight your English language abilities Kim, but how can a native English speaker get a question wrong? Message me if you'd like some private tutoring :D

Either poor typing skills or I was sleeping through a couple of the passages when I answered.

But thanks for the offer! :D

So examinations for all will be reduced (or increased ;)) to two:

USMLE 1
USMLE 2 CS

??

No, it will be:

USMLE step 1
USMLE step 2 CK (clinical knowledge)
USMLE step 2 CS (clinical skills)

Thats it

Ahh...Thanks.

Interesting how UK is also approaching parity (at least by treating all IMGs the same).

Originally posted by bts4202
No, it will be:

USMLE step 1
USMLE step 2 CK (clinical knowledge)
USMLE step 2 CS (clinical skills)

Thats it

And, Step 3 (of course) after you graduate.

-Skip

Hey, any word on whether this will be pass/fail or scored? I just hope the pass rate stays up in the CSA zone (is it 95% now?).

And don't you guys think there'll be a lack of testing slots when the Step 2 CS starts up next summer? There's a break where there's no CSA before the Step 2 cs kicks off and at the same time all the US grads have to take their tests. I bet spots will be tight.

Also, do you know when the proto-typical US students will take their Step 2 CS? How about the prototypical Caribbean Student?

I'm taking mine in August next year (hopefully) and, yes, I'm already worried about it.