FMG's chances of passing the USLME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a 1st year MBBS student from India. I would really like to come to the US to do my residency after I complete my MBBS. I heard that in order to do this, I'll have to complete the USMLE. I know that the USMLE steps I and II can be done in India itself, but step III has to be done in the US. So is it possible for me to complete the USMLE steps I and II before I graduate from the medical college? Also will I have to lose a year or more during the period I complete step III and start a residency? Also I heard that many foreign students dont pass the USMLE on the first attempt. Is this true?

Drox

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Drox,
You have avery good chance of making into the residency program in the US. Don't give up on your dream. All it needs is a very systematic and methodical planning and preparation. It seems you still have some time to go before you are eligible for the Steps. BUT THERE IS NO REASON IN THE WORLD YOU CAN'T DO IT. DON'T BELIVE IN THE NAYSAYERS.

hey folks i am not from india but i have lots of indian friends doing residency.
they are one of the finest. yes youc an do it. all it needs is dedication, poper scheduling and getting a mentor.

join a forum and check out pinoyimg. a friend showed me this site. it was helpful in my coming over to US as a foreign medical graduate

drox said:
Hi everyone,
I'm a 1st year MBBS student from India. I would really like to come to the US to do my residency after I complete my MBBS. I heard that in order to do this, I'll have to complete the USMLE. I know that the USMLE steps I and II can be done in India itself, but step III has to be done in the US. So is it possible for me to complete the USMLE steps I and II before I graduate from the medical college? Also will I have to lose a year or more during the period I complete step III and start a residency? Also I heard that many foreign students dont pass the USMLE on the first attempt. Is this true?

Drox

Dont worry too much about step 3.

Concentrate on Step 1 and 2...especially step 1...because thats the one most FMGs have trouble scoring high.